This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Austin

New member so I thought I'd drop by & say hello.

I work for a place that handles customer support for multiple companies. I'm in the section that deals with tech/customer support for a video game console. I started out in hardware/online connectivity, but within a short time was recruited to save/billing.

The billing part is fairly easy, but the "save" part..........well, that's usually where the fun comes in. For those that may not know, the "save" part of save/billing is where you try & save the customer from canceling his online account. When at least 50% of the customers that come through for save are already for one reason or another it can really be a challenge at times.

When I was younger I had a terrible temper, not to mention a fairly short fuse. Over the years I have learned to let roll off me like I was John Gotti. Especially if it's directed at me by someone who I don't have any kind of personal stake in. I did learn some lessons from when I was younger though.

I remember that when I was really pissed about some situation one of the things that would make we want to explode was when the person I was having a problem with remained totally calm & became even nicer. I'm not talking about the smarmy or obsequious kind of nice, but the genuine 'I'm here to help' kind of nice. I've seen the same thing happen to other people over the intervening years & the effect is usually the same, most of the time.

When the insanely pissed person sees that the target of their ire isn't going to respond in kind, thereby allowing them to ramp up even more, it usually forces them to realize that their present course of action isn't going to work any longer. Once they see that their anger is not intimidating the other person or making them mad as well then they tend to run out of steam & eventually deflate. I'm not saying that this is the way it goes every time but more often than not that's usually what happens. I know it did to me.

So this is the attitude that I take into work with me every day. I guess you could call it the zen of being nice. It's much easier to respond to an angry SC by blowing up right back at them, especially when you have policy on your side & know you're right.........but it is sooooo much more satisfying to to crank up the nice a few levels & hear them wind down like an old clock.

Anyway, that's a little about me. I look forward to sharing some of my better calls with everyone.

Namaste

ZB

Hello! to CS!
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
    X