This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So many words, so little time

One of the things I support is a web installer/updater for a few pieces of software. Last week a new ticket came in from a local department tech aide asking for help upgrading on behalf of one of his groups. We found the problem -- users had been 'cleaning up' files and caused a problem -- and restored the missing files. There was one small wrinkle that I warned might or might not cause a further problem, but asked him to go ahead and see if that had fixed it. He promised to take it to the group and get back to us after. Ticket was left open pending him getting back to us.

Cue today, where one of the actual members of said group files a new ticket with all-caps to make sure we knew how URGENT it was, and how they'd been unable to get an answer for "weeks". I sighed and fixed that piece that had been a possible issue. Then asked her to try again, with a note about how we responded day-of to their local support person and had been waiting on them to actually try, thanks-much. She replied nope, still not working. Weird, my tests were no longer showing any problems, and they're fairly complete. Okay, fine, check the web logs for any errors, to find she only hit the upgrade page twice. The upgrade is a three-page thing:

List of all your various installations to select which one to update -> Screen listing details of what that specific upgrade will do and asking for confirmation -> All done thanks screen

So the user apparently just did the first click and then closed that window without reading the text of the page or noticing the button there to actually confirm. Sigh. I pointed this out to her and asked her to please go through the entire install this time. Response, nope, still doesn't work.

So I glance at the app itself. Surprise, it's actually upgraded. No sign of failure, every step complete. Confused, I ask her what happened, why she thought it didn't upgrade. Apparently she decided for herself that it would email her on success and so closed the web page without actually reading the nice, concise (as I didn't write it) "Your upgrade succeeded" notice that makes up the majority of page 3. I could understand missing the page text once, but I'd hope that she'd actually read the screens after the first time...

She has other issues that need solving, but I'm hoping with all my hoping muscles that none of them will require her to read a web page as part of the solution.

Does your IT log these types of incidents so that, in an ongoing tally, the user may be restricted from using a company computer until he or she can be retrained on their own time?

Comment

Oh, man no. University, somewhat decentralized. Takes a lot more than just being annoyingly blind to have your account placed on hold.

Comment

Quoth vang View Post
        Oh, man no. University, somewhat decentralized. Takes a lot more than just being annoyingly blind to have your account placed on hold.
        I always found a personal supreme pizza and Dew delivered to the account admin worked well.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Said account admins would actually be me and my group.. and that *would* hit the spot to get myself for dinner. Mmmmm...

(Totally joking, wouldn't ever actually do that, yadda yadda.)

Comment

Working...
          X