Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm seriously going to get fired over this.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh, dude, it never seems to end for you; i'm hoping like crazy that they'll weigh all you've done for them against this one incident-$400 is a drop in the bucket to most places, especially big retail stores.

you need hugs, cookies, a bbq and some shooters...
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Kusanagi View Post
      All I have for her is a cell number that was left on the original note written by the manager, but it's a cell number so a backtrace won't work on it.
      Backtrace won't work, but the phone registry will. When a cell is activated, the number is linked to an account, even on pay and talk phones. The police can simply follow the path right to her door.

Turn the number over to police, it might not work, but it's your best shot.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I hope things turn out okay for you.
        ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

I've tried calling this customer back frantically all morning and afternoon - and of course, no answer.

Gone to the police?

Comment

Quoth Kusanagi View Post
            They go to the chair and pick it up and load it - all the while I'm helping other customers. I get a break, go out with a clipboard and have them sign the relevant form.
            On the serious side, I hope this runs its course in your favor, and for your sake, I hope both the financial side of commissions kicking in and the stress side of not having to be a manger any more begin to boost your quality of life some - sounds like you could use it by now. Also, my heartfelt thanks for being so supportive of the cancer sufferers in your life - I know it's a tough road.

On the lighter side, coulda been worse. What if you had used your break time to help the thieves load the chair into the car?

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this works out in your favor - good luck!
            Last edited by sms001; 09-14-2007, 10:09 AM. Reason: added emphasis

Comment

That does suck.

You would think the manager would have more information on these people. It seems like the manager didn't take preventive measures to prevent something like this from happening.

Comment

Quoth Kusanagi View Post
                we don't hold pieces that aren't paid for,
                What does the employee manual say about this? Is it just an informal "we don't do it"" or is it written in the Three Ring Binder "Thou shalt Not!!". If B memorise that page and paragraph number.

Oh and manly hugs with beer
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Don't beat up on yourself over this Kusanagi. You made a mistake. It's not a crime, it's just something that happens, no matter how good we are. You aren't a bad salesperson or employee because of it. You work hard, you're good at what you do.

For something like this to happen, there was a long series of fumbles of which yours was simply the last. The ball was dropped on this right from the get-go, and it just squirted out of everyone's grasp, including yours. I'm guessing your business has a series of procedures for dealing with this sort of thing, and that they weren't properly followed by ANYONE.

Even if the worst does happen with this, just learn from it and continue on. Usually these things work out for the best anyway. And you've had an important lesson reinforced: That your co-workers are cretins and can't be trusted to be clear in what they want, get proper information from their customers, or know the difference between 'Sold' and 'Not Sold'.
                  Check out my webcomic!

Comment

I don't know how today is finding you, or if you are going to get canned or not. But let me just say this: I got fired from a job I loved, and that I really worked hard at, and while it sucked at the time, it worked out awesome for me. Years later, I evaded a layoff by going back to Kinko's for a year. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was being guided out of a long period of stagnation and into a much more happy, prosperous time.

Sometimes, the best thing that can happen to you is to get dumped, kicking and screaming, out of your habit. Sometimes, a job is a bad habit. You can do better, but you don't bother. And so you ferment and stagnate in a less than ideal situation because it's easier and less scary than going out and doing something else.

Life usually will put us right where we need to be when we need to be there. Roll with it. Good luck, brother. It's always okay in the end. If it's not okay....well, then, it's not the end.

Comment

K, you have put up with a lot of things happening in that company. Hopefully, the explanation behind all of this will help the circumstances.

If not, as RK said, sometimes you do have to have something really bad happen to get to the good stuff. (paraphrased) It happens to everybody, and my thoughts are with you. :hugs:

But....if the worst happens, just know that with your sales experience any company will be happy to have you!!!!
                      I'm just me. I like it. Stop trying to change what I like!

Comment

Wagegoth offered some very good advice up there...

... and good luck...
                        Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Ok.. bottom line is, that cutomer committed grand theft. (I believe the stealing of goods or mechandise over $250 worth is still grand theft). You need to file a police report. Merchant error aside, it is still theft, and will be prosecuted as such. Myself, parents, sister, and wife have all worked in retail. I have witnessed similar situations. If you do lose your job, at least get the cops in on it so you can hopefully take some solace in knowing this creep will get busted.
                          I will never go to school!

Comment

Quoth BaristaTrav View Post
                            Ok.. bottom line is, that cutomer committed grand theft. (I believe the stealing of goods or mechandise over $250 worth is still grand theft). You need to file a police report. Merchant error aside, it is still theft, and will be prosecuted as such. Myself, parents, sister, and wife have all worked in retail. I have witnessed similar situations. If you do lose your job, at least get the cops in on it so you can hopefully take some solace in knowing this creep will get busted.

I agree with this...if the cell number is valid, the police should be able to work with the cell company to find out who it belongs to. (Hopefully I don't watch too much Law & Order and I'm not being overly optimistic.)

As for you, deep breaths and big hugs. Whatever happens, it won't be the end of the world
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

All you can do is stick to your guns. You thought the chair had been sold due to the sign, it actually wasn't.

The manager messed up by mislabeling the chair (and understaffing the place), you messed up by not fully reading the note and the customers take some of the blame because they KNEW they hadn't paid and screwed you over.

You said you had a cell phone number on these people. If you go to the police can they not track the number to a person and pursue a theft investigation?? (I believe law enforcment agencies can contact cell companies and force them to turn over information about a number). I'm assuming you have security camera footage of the incident as well? That would serve as proof they actually did just walk out with the chair.

Bottom line if you get fired, you get fired, but you are not the only one to blame here. Like someone else said, sometimes getting canned can be a blessing in disguise.
                              Last edited by CrazedClerk; 09-14-2007, 05:03 PM.

Comment

*hugs*

I hope that everything works out for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X