This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sincerely doubt that, sir

So, short backstory. I has a job! Working at a store that I've been trying for years to work at, cause it seemed like it would be a nice, relaxed environment... and I'm working in the stockroom... wait, what's wrong with that scenario? Oh, right, I've worked stockroom before, and hated it. But that was for a big box retailer, this store's the size of the Chesterfield store that I loved so...

Anyway, we have one extreme rule in our store. No ONE (NO ONE!) is allowed to take pictures in the store.

That said, I was walking to the back last night, after stocking something, and see a family standing near our plushie supply, one of them has a camcorder out. I approach him from behind.
    M: "I'm sorry, sir, you can't take pictures in our store."
    H: "Oh, but she said I could." *gestures at a coworker straightening the plushes*
    M: *blink, blink* "Oh, kay..." *cross the short distance to confirm with coworker*
    C: "I didn't realize that's what I'd agreed to..."
    M: "Oh, kay..." *walk into the back to drop off my restock tote*
    As I return, said family has dispersed entirely, leaving one older lady wandering the store, alone.
    C: "I didn't know that's what he'd asked me."
    M: *shrug* "No biggie, looks like they left."

The night before last, I was restocking costume stuff, on the floor, and I look up as some woman takes a picture of a costume, then starts talking into the phone she took it with, "Even better, you could just take up the hem a bit..."
    M: "Ma'am, are you taking pictures of our costumes?"
    Hr: "Yeah...?" *in a 'What're you gonna do about it' tone*
    M: "You can't take pictures in the store."
    Hr: "I got the idea from another customer who was doing it."
    M: "Ma'am, had I seen the other customer taking pics, I would've warned them, too. However, I saw you, and you admitted to it. Please stop."
    "I call murder on that!"

Why can't you take pictures?

And why are people too stupid to abide by the rules?
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Hmm costumes and plushies, would it be a Disney store or the like? Somewhere where protecting copyright and licences is important?

Anyway, it is good that you have a job again, Juwl.
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Most stores don't allow picture taking inside...
        When I worked for Hudson's (now Macy's) department store, it was store policy that if you saw anyone taking pictures, or looking as tho they were going to, you would ask them to stop. Or call security, and tell them.
        It got impossible when people got phones with cameras...no way to tell at a glance that someone was taking a photo as opposed to just talking on the phone.

As for why...I know security did not like it, because of the potential of thieves taking pics of the layout, or store personel, and also they didn't want their displays photographed either.
        Never really got a GOOD explanation.
        BUT, the store is private property, and if they don't want any photography in their property, that is their right.
        I no longer fear HELL.
        I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Quoth Enjis View Post
          As for why...I know security did not like it, because of the potential of thieves taking pics of the layout, or store personel, and also they didn't want their displays photographed either.
          That's probably the main reason. I know that the mall here doesn't allow photography inside. That's to prevent people from "casing" the stores for robberies. Of course, that hasn't stopped people from sitting nearby, and watching what goes on
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

We've caught people taking pics of the pages of books. Presumably they go home and put them on the computer, and voila! free book!
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I'm not entirely sure of the reasoning behind the no pictures, I'm just following what I've been told. Though, I believe Cinema Guy hit it right on the nose.
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

all that money for a camera.... just to get a free book.
                some people are crazy heh

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  Hehe. I don't remember if it was a phone or a regular digital camera. I think just a camera...if I recall correctly it was a poetry book, so maybe he just wanted a few poems. Funny thing is, if he had sat down with a note pad and copied the poems he wanted, no one would have said a word.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Juwl, so glad to hear you're once again among the employed! I hope the back room suits you after all. If Cinema Guy is correct and this is a themed store, I gotta think the customers are out of their minds I'm sure many awesomely wonderful people shop there, but I gotta wonder about the EWs that flock there as well. Good luck!
                    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                      Hehe. I don't remember if it was a phone or a regular digital camera. I think just a camera...if I recall correctly it was a poetry book, so maybe he just wanted a few poems. Funny thing is, if he had sat down with a note pad and copied the poems he wanted, no one would have said a word.
                      For that matter, he could have checked the book out of a library and taken the pictures at home at his leisure without anyone knowing.

Oh, wait--that means going to a library and checking out a book. That might actually take effort.
                      Enjoy my latest stupid quest for immortality. http://1001plus.blogspot.com/

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                        Why can't you take pictures?
                        On the costumes- that's easy. If you're too stupid to go to a fabric store and peruse the pattern catalog, then you need to book a seamstress with enough memory to be able to work from memory!

Basically the store wants their money for coughing up for teh license to produce that costume. It's a bit rude to take pics at a ren faire shop as well- it's their livelyhood even if it doesn't involve a license.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                          Anyway, it is good that you have a job again, Juwl.
                          Yes, definitely, seeing as I'm currently in debt up to my eyeballs.
                          It's too bad it's only three or so shifts a week, unless they need me to come in for a shipment.
                          I'm keeping Mum on where I work, so, I will neither confirm nor deny your assertion about the store in which you think I currently work.
                          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                            When my big tax chain had a booth...well more like a desk...at the local Wal-Mart; the powers-that be sited it in the cafeteria. Well there was a guy who would buy a beverage and took pictures of the screens with SS numbers and financial info. Until, that is, the local police put a stop to that nonsense.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

It's funny you can take pictures up at the main cage lol The last place photos should be allowed.

Comment

Working...
                              X