Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I guess a technical limitation is our fault now....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and from the towing files, theres Vehicle Identification Number, (VIN) which has become a word in acronym form so strongly that I've seen paperwork with boxes for "VIN Number", despite the obvious redundancy.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

VIP - Very Important Person
      UN - United Nations
      NATO - North Atlantic Treaty Organization
      ISP - Internet Service Provider
      NIC - Network Interface Card
      DOS - Disc Operating System
      DoS - Denial o Service (just to confuse people)
      BIOS - Basic Input Output System
      RAM - Ramdom Access Memory

and so on...

Comment

OP struck a little bit of a nerve with me.. People who spend the money to buy HD TV's but instead of getting the service, they think that just having the TV 'stretch' out the original signal gives them HD... My dad did this.. He spend 3 months researching HD tvs, to find "The perfect" TV", and ended up hooking it up to standard definition cable...
        Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Consider telling the customer to find an old pair of rabbit ears and hook it up. (Might need an impedance converter.) Or even stick a wire into the center point of the antenna connector. Local stations will show the customer what the TV is capable of.

Comment

one that I just remembered
            3M = Minnesota Mining and Manufactering

now defunct
            AMC = American Motor Corporation
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Daemonmonkey View Post
              To be fair, most of the time (by my experience), when writing those, they are differentiated by the O's, and when spoken, DOS is pronounced "Doss" (rhymes with 'boss'), and DoS is pronounced "Dee-oh-ess."

But I can see how those would confuse the unenlightened.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

National Biscuit Company
                Array Technologies Incorporated
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
                  OP struck a little bit of a nerve with me.. People who spend the money to buy HD TV's but instead of getting the service, they think that just having the TV 'stretch' out the original signal gives them HD... My dad did this.. He spend 3 months researching HD tvs, to find "The perfect" TV", and ended up hooking it up to standard definition cable...
                  From the salesperson standpoint, it must be hard for them to tell a customer that they have to spend extra money elsewhere in order to get what they see in the store. That's not an easy thing to do. The stores have HDTV, so it can be easy for the consumer to assume they'll get the exact same thing when they buy the product and take it home.

A better approach on the salesperson's behalf might be, "The picture you see here is high definition. The standard service offered by cable and satellite companies is "over the air" or "antenna" and the picture quality with that doesn't come close to what you see here. If you already have basic service you may get only your local channels in high definition, or rather you'll be able to see the pores on the newscasters; but all the other channels will have the same somewhat-blurry quality you see now with your current TV."

"...So if you buy this TV now and don't subscribe to a cable or satellite package that has high-definition (don't want to abbreviate it as "hi-def" just yet) package, the same picture you see on your existing TV is what you'll see on this TV. But, this TV will be ready for when you do upgrade to a better package. If you take this TV home now and contact your cable or satellite supplier and upgrade your package to include HDTV channels, then the picture you get will be the same great quality and clarity as you saw on this same TV here in the store..."

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                    Sharp, crisp, not fuzzy picture.

Yes, I had (and still have to in fact) "dumb it down" like that a LOT.
                    These and other similar ways of dumbing down Hi Def is just a sad commentary on what is happening to our society.

Nerd alert!

It reminds me of the Star Trek NG episode with the guys that need geordie to fix their ship and make it go.
                    GFY

Comment

CST - Customer Standard Time (an old favorite 'round these parts)
                      BIOS - Basic Input Output System
                      RAM - Ramdom Access Memory
                      I've often seen Denial of Service as DDoS (Distributed...)

ROM - Read-Only Memory
                      SIMM - Single Inline Memory Module
                      DIMM - Dual Inline Memory Module
                      EMS - Extended Memory (something...)
                      XMS - Expanded Memory (something...)
                      USB - Universal Serial Bus
                      SCSI - Small Computer Systems Interface
                      IDE - Integrated Drive Electronics
                      SATA - Serial Advanced Technology Attachment

Nerd Alert!
                      No worries -- You are among friends here ^_^
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                        "...So if you buy this TV now and don't subscribe to a cable or satellite package that has high-definition (don't want to abbreviate it as "hi-def" just yet) package, the same picture you see on your existing TV is what you'll see on this TV. But, this TV will be ready for when you do upgrade to a better package. If you take this TV home now and contact your cable or satellite supplier and upgrade your package to include HDTV channels, then the picture you get will be the same great quality and clarity as you saw on this same TV here in the store..."
                        Another approach: "Think of your old TV as a Ford Focus, and a cable or satellite package without high-definition as regular gasoline. This TV is like a Ferrari, and a cable or satellite package with high-definition is like premium gasoline. It will still run on regular, but to get its full performance you need premium."
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

ICBM
                          InterContinetal Ballistic Missile

SCOTUS
                          Supreme Court Of The United States

POTUS
                          President Of The United States

SCUBA
                          Self-Contained Underwater Breating Apparatus

PEBCAK
                          Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard

And if you're really board: http://www.acronymfinder.com/
                          Last edited by 42_42_42; 04-04-2011, 03:03 AM.
                          Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                            Another approach: "Think of your old TV as a Ford Focus, and a cable or satellite package without high-definition as regular gasoline. This TV is like a Ferrari, and a cable or satellite package with high-definition is like premium gasoline. It will still run on regular, but to get its full performance you need premium."
                            You analogy is better than mine

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              EMS - Extended Memory (something...)
                              XMS - Expanded Memory (something...)
                              Something=specification, I think.

Comment

I always liked TWAIN - Tool With An Interesting Name.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                                X