Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I am weak and quitting early (long, CS/MiM)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I am weak and quitting early (long, CS/MiM)

In off-topic section I mentioned how I started training at a restaurant, wasn't impressed from the get-go, but i was intending to stick it out.

Now, in this tiny tale, there is MiM, CS, and a Self brain burp. So...I'm sorry mods.

Its only been a week, I was still getting the hang of things, but today I was overwhelmed. People calling orders, with me being the only one taking them in while others wanted their check/order taken right this second or I'm a useless sod! (yada yada)

Two guys come in. I get their drink order, but because all of a sudden chaos happened, (no lie, EVERYONE was leaving or ordering at that moment and I was all by myself) I was very late with it. My fault.

However, these guys had a very complicated order.
    One special we have is the L7, A OR B bento. You choose ONE.
    One of the guys, chose both as his order.. Normally, you can't do that. You can as an appetizer, which would be more anyways, but he wanted the LUNCH special. He repeated this to me a few times. I write it down, put it up there.

With these two guys, I was very behind because other guests got very demanding, and honestly, when I am helping someone else, interrupting me to demand something else or whatever WON'T help me remember, since I need to give the other guest my focus. My fault again.

However, the management suck came in later, when it was time for the bill.
    Since the guy ordered to MIX the L7, instead of choosing one, it was higher priced.
    He ate it all, no questions asked.
    But seeing the price, started demanding that it was wrong. He complained about me to my boss. Called me a mess-up and a dirty liar.
    Boss-lady was agreeing with him and belittling me in front of customers. and it took way too long for me to convince afterwards, that, I HAVE NO REASON TO LIE ABOUT SUCH A TRIVIAL MATTER.

They were saying I got too nervous. Sure, I can see that, but until those dudes came, I was handling everything well, even when it got PACKED and I was alone.
    They told me to do a split shift today and come back after three hours. I didn't. I called in. Boss lady already treats me like i'm stupid, and gives me dirty looks. Sorry for making mistakes within a week. ><;

Oh, and I'm not making tips out of this, despite being only server, cause I'm still "training"...so...whatever. I have other job leads, I don't want to work in a place where customers and a higher up can insult me to each other and call me a liar. I despise it. I'm weak, call me weak, I'll take it. I may need to rely on my friend's hand a little longer, but I won't lose my dignity in working. I just can't.

Sorry for that mini-rant. If it was just the customer, that's one thing, but my boss too, and how she treated me since I started? Nope nope nope nope nope

The boss belittles you in front of customers? Oh hell no. Nobody needs that. You will find something better.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I don't see your decision as weak. Your employer doesn't seem willing to put sufficient staff on to handle rush times -- and on top of that, they know you are new. So you are being left to handle chaos even while you're still training? I remember a LONG time ago I was working in a restaurant for the first time, but they put me on the slowest times possible (which was good because I wasn't actually getting any training! Was just being left to figure things out as I went along.) That's a big FAIL on your employer's part, IMO.

And then for your boss to slam you in front of the customers? Nope. That would've been the breaking point for me as well. Jolly the customers along if you like, but if you've got some criticism of me to impart, then do it out of sight and hearing of them. That's unprofessional and extremely degrading.

So no, your abrupt departure isn't a sign of weakness. It's an indication that you're well aware that's a lousy place to work and you're not going to put up with it.

Something better will come along -- hopefully, very soon.

Comment

Trying to admit to others that you're weak proves that you are NOT weak.

Don't ever, ever think of yourself that way. Promise me.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Belittling you in front of customers is not cool. Does this person have a boss over them? If so, go to them and let them know what happened.
          "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Mike Taylor View Post
            Belittling you in front of customers is not cool. Does this person have a boss over them? If so, go to them and let them know what happened.
            Bosses are owners...

Comment

I don't blame you at all. Mistakes are to be expected when you're just starting out. It was highly unfair to stick you by yourself when you're just learning too. You deserve better than that and I'm sure you'll find something soon.
              Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

I'd start looking elsewhere for work. You don't need to be subjected to that sort of crappy behavior.
                "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

I'd call the labour board, this training where you don't get tips is bullshit.
                  Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                  Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
                    I'd call the labour board, this training where you don't get tips is bullshit.
                    I'm trying to see if that is legal here in the state of golden I am in.

Comment

If you're training, you get a training wage.

No matter what, if you're working for an employer, you should be getting paid. Fullstop. Otherwise, they're cheating you. And training is working!
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                        Frankly, if I were you, as soon as the boss started belittling me in front of customers I would have quit on the spot - and called them out on their bullshit. Perhaps that right there is the reason why they have trouble keeping waitstaff. You'd have to be pretty damn desperate to stay in a place like that.
                        Good point. And they're lucky you bothered to call them to let them know you weren't returning after the first part of your split shift. I'd have just left for the three-hour "break" and then not shown up again.

Comment

Weak? Bah. The hardest thing to do is to decide that a job just isn't worth the bullshit you get from it. Change is the scariest thing in the world and being willing to change takes strength.

It's not cool to belittle employees while on the clock, period. And you really don't want to work with an employer who is willing to not only let customers belittle you, but do it themselves! As a customer you certainly wouldn't want to visit such a place either. Which if I was in your neck of the woods, I'd ask which it was and avoid it.
                          If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Good for you for not going back! It's never weakness to recognize a bad situation and get yourself out of it. Like raudf says above, change is hard.

I worked in a shitty work environment for a year and a half b/c I was too scared to be underemployed (had another job, but not enough to pay the bills, you know). And two of the people I was working with had been there for over 10 years putting up with and adding to the terrible environment. Best thing I ever did was leave there. Wish I'd had the balls--like you!--to not come back when on the first day there was a screaming match right over my head about how to train me on a very trivial matter -_-

Comment

I honestly feel I am weak only cause it is me who is giving up, when I do need the work.

But honestly, I kind of expected to be treated as such, and I was okay with it until Bosslady was doing so in front of customers. I knew she didn't like me when she got on my case for referring her in a respectful term for elder women in the language we both speak. (not Japanese)

So showing respect was bad?

Comment

Working...
                              X