This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I give a MOB what it deserves....

Calm down, it's not as exciting as it sounds. Around here, a MOB is short-hand for a 'Miserable Old Bat (Bastard)' depending on the sex of the MOB involved. We're equal - opportunity wombles. This one was of the Bat gender.

Anywhere, I was opening on Thursday on my own. As I've said before, I firmly believe a good manager should do at least one open or a close on their own at least once a week. As you all know, I'm over-compensating in this regard at the moment, but let that pass.

So, nice easy morning, customers every few seconds, selling smokes, checking cig deliveries, doing the daily paperwork a page at a time, nothing especially odd, until about 11am. Customers have backed off now, and there's just a lady in the store looking at gifts and a man examining prices before deciding. Then this scrappy MOB comes up to the counter and the fun begins. The following is word for word. You can't script this stuff...

Me: Your loveable lunatic manager
    MOB: Miserable Old Bat
    NL: Nice Lady customer
    BM: Bemused male customer

Me: How can I help you?
    MOB: Cig case for superkings.
    Me: We have several styles of cases, including these ones here that fit the pack--
    MOB: How much?!
    Me: $6.95
    MOB: (throws $2 coin on counter and GLARES at me like I just killed a kitten and keeps scrabling in her purse)
    Me: So, just the case then? (no answer, just another look of death) Ok, and would you like any s/kings to go with that?
    MOB: (screeches) No!
    Me: (smiling like mad) One superkings case then. That will be $6.95, thank you.
    MOB: (tosses a $10 note on the counter and continues to glare at me.

Now, note that there's a $2 coin and a $10 note on the counter. Also note that the other 2 customers in the store are watching with some amusement. Everything about the MOB is screaming "you are a worthless dreg of humanity, how dare you speak to me, you miserable little worm!" I am grinning like a madman and being so polite my halo is practically gleaming.

Me: (picking up the $10 note) One extra tall case at $6.95. From $10, that gives $3 and 5c change. (hands the change back into the MOB outstretched claws, including the $2 coin that hadn't been needed.) Have a nice day madam. (turns to the male customer, who's indicated he'd like to bugger off) What can I get you sir?

The next few seconds are spent with me serving several customers who all come in at once. The NL sticks around, and the MOB is still standing at the counter glaring at me and looking like she's about to explode. After a few minutes, things calm down again, and I turn to the MOB, grinning even wider now. I could tell this was going to be fun.

Me: Is there something else, madam?
    (the following from the MOB is all said in a screech, as of someone at the end of their rope. In her case, it was a noose.)

MOB: Are you stupid? I gave you a $10 and a $2 coin! Why didn't you give me back the $5 note I wanted? How dare you serve other people when you hadn't finished serving me! You're an idiot, you know that? Just a stupid F*cking idiot!

Me: (buffing up my halo) Madam, please! Politeness costs nothing! (the MOB shut her, her mouth dropped open, stunned. NL is openly sniggering into the Beanie Kids display) Now, you wanted a $5 note, yes?

MOB: Of course I did, you stupid bitch! Why else would --

Me: (takes the coins and gets the note) You only had to say please. (I hold the note out, folded slightly between two fingers) I assume you can say please and thank you when people go out of their way to help you?

The NL has been joined by Shiels, a regular customer from one of the shops. He's seen me in action before at the liquor store, and is grinning as well.

MOB: (tries to snatch the note out of my hand, misses, then snatches again, getting it this time.) How dare you correct me, you bitch! I'm the customers here, and whatever I say is what I get! (stuffs her purse in her bag and storms off to the door.)

Me: (as she's exiting the store) Have a nice day, madam.

MOB: Screams incoherantly in the doorway, before giving me the devils finger salute and storming off. At least, she tried to storm off. She actually walked into the very tall greeting card carosel, which got all tangled up with her bag. It took her several seconds to pull her bag out.

Me: Would you like some help madam?

MOB: Screams some more, another finger, and this time she stalks off.

NL: (coming to the counter) Don't get upset, dear, you didn't do anything wrong.

Me: I know! (gloats) And I've got a great story for my favourite website!

NL looked confused by happy for me. Shiels thought it was hysterically funny. Quite made my day.

You have the patience of a Saint.

Also, I was thinking MOB was Mother of Bride.... Lol. Obviously, I was mistaken.

Comment

Shared on Facebook.

This really should be a segment of another "Clerks" movie.
      "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

That's likely the reason that there is a sign at one of my favorite establishments that states clearly that "We are not mind readers. If you want something and do not say it out loud we can neither be able to glean it from your mine nor can we fulfill that request and as such can not be held accountable for failing to do so"

Large sign. The size of an average sale poster in a major retail chain. Which is 8 times smaller and a talking, dancing elephant with a megaphone shy of being able to be noticed by the average asshole customer.
        I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

I can't stand people who expect me to be able to read their minds and just know what they want without telling me. Sometimes in this situation, I tell them, "I'm sorry, I must not have heard you when you asked me."
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
            Large sign. The size of an average sale poster in a major retail chain. Which is 8 times smaller and a talking, dancing elephant with a megaphone shy of being able to be noticed by the average asshole customer.
            Nope, that's still too small. It's like I've said, it could be as big as the sky, with flashing lights, ginormous speakers capable of razing a skyscraper to subatomic particles by turning on, broadcasting "WE DO NOT READ MINDS" non-stop 24/7, with laser beams tattooing "USE YOUR WORDS" across their eyeballs, and people would STILL claim they didn't see it.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

For most customers I'd make the change with a 5-dollar note, but the angry ones are usually so agitated that they suck at math and think I'm shorting them. So yeah, I'd give back change as well. Just proves you can't win.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I keep telling my students that I am not a mind reader. If they want partial credit on an exam, I need to see their work and be able to figure out where they went astray. Frequently, I can figure out what they must have done to get a particular incorrect answer, but... No work shown = no partial credit.
                Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                X