This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business Email? What's that?

I got a ticket from one of our AAs on behalf of a user. They can not access their email,. I should note, we use web mail at our organization, unless they request outlook and have a legit business need. I check and user had not requested Outlook. Ok sounds like a simple password reset.

I call the user.

U: Hello?
    M: Hi, this is <real name> from Technology Support, I got a ticket you couldn't access your email.
    U: Yes.
    M: Ok do you know you user name?
    U: What's that?
    Me: The part before the @ sign. such as my email address is <my.name>@ company. com. The username is my.name.
    U: Um. Let me look.
    Me: ok. *thinking, why do you need to look or your username? This is never a good sign* Anyway, they find it and I verify them and do a password reset.
    M: Ok. I have reset your password. All you need to do is go to the web mail site, type in you user name and <temporary pw>. It will then ask you to pick a new password you want. Do that and you should be all set.
    U: What is email webmail?
    M: It the system you use to check your email. You open you web browser and go to <website>.
    U: I don't recall doing that.
    M: let me call you back.

I take a look. The user, had stopped checking their email 6 MONTHS ago. In that time they had accumulated almost 500 messages.

I call them back.

M: Ok. I looked into it. It seems you stopped checking email on <date>, six months ago.
    U: ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Well you see, my browser forgot my password, so i told all my contacts who called me about why I never responded that we got rid of our email and to use my personal hotmail account.

I repeat the web log in instructions to them, give them their user name and pass word and tell them to contact us if they cant figure that out. Then, gather up all the info and email their boss and my boss.

What did I do to deserve this?

Oh my god...that is just mind blowing.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
      U: ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Well you see, my browser forgot my password, so i told all my contacts who called me about why I never responded that we got rid of our email and to use my personal hotmail account.
      :: cocks head to the side, thoughtfully... Straightens.. brain reboots. Reads quote.. cocks head to the side, thoughtfully.... endless loop... ::
      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
        :: cocks head to the side, thoughtfully... Straightens.. brain reboots. Reads quote.. cocks head to the side, thoughtfully.... endless loop... ::
        this is pretty much the only response to that. what the..
        Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Please tell me that their boss is going to rip them a new one for that.

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
            Please tell me that their boss is going to rip them a new one for that.
            Probably depends on the boss. I'd say there's a 25% chance they get ripped a new one, and a 75% chance that the boss is also using a personal email with their contacts now for a similar reason.

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
              Probably depends on the boss. I'd say there's a 25% chance they get ripped a new one, and a 75% chance that the boss is also using a personal email with their contacts now for a similar reason.
              If i don't get a reply back I think I can assume the latter.

Comment

Wow. Doing that at my place would end up with some massive heart attacks from management and a severe dressing-down, if not an actual firing. We're sort of huge of on the whole "Every post-it is a CONFIDENTIAL DOCUMENT!" kick here.

Comment

The fun part here is that depending on the industry and country, what she did might be illegal.
                  Seph
                  Taur10
                  "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post
                    The fun part here is that depending on the industry and country, what she did might be illegal.
                    In our case, no. Good point though.

Comment

Be funny if his personal email was something like "chunky lover @hotmail.com"
                      https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                        In our case, no. Good point though.
                        Illegal? Maybe not. Fireable or actionable? Definitely. Or at least hopefully.

With any luck, your IT department (or PR department) has a policy about this. One that has teeth.
                        "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                          Be funny if his personal email was something like "chunky lover @hotmail.com"

That was my first thought, too! I thought the problem was going to be with the guy's personal email address. I use my Yahoo! account to send all my emails, but Yahoo! allows me to change the "From" for each one. Every now and then I forget to change it and send an email to a professor at my school with my EvilE address rather than my school address.

Most instructors are cool with it, but I have one who gets pissy about non-school emails.
                          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

500 emails in 6 months? Must be nice. I can rack up that many in a week.

The fail is so strong with that one that he doesn't even qualify for an Etch-a-Sketch.
                            Give him a pizza box with a keyboard drawn on it in crayon.
                            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                              500 emails in 6 months? Must be nice. I can rack up that many in a week.

The fail is so strong with that one that he doesn't even qualify for an Etch-a-Sketch.
                              Give him a pizza box with a keyboard drawn on it in crayon.
                              What they lack in quantity can be made up in the urgency of the stuff they get.

Comment

Working...
                              X