This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perpetual Stupidity

He wasn't an SC but it's being dumb like this that helps to propel them into existence. Here's the email he sent us:

I'm trying to do the customer survey at "companyfeedbacksite.com" and can't find a link to it from your homepage. Just wondering if the link is still active.

In other words, you're trying to visit this site by linking to it from another site instead of typing it straight into the address bar. Sad, Sad people.
    Part Angel Part Sadist

I have known some people to type EVERY website address into google and search it to click on a link. They think the search box is where they have to enter the website, and it can't be done any other way.

Comment

ARG!!! THAT ANNOYS ME SOOO MUCH!!!

I just want to bash people in the head that do that!!
      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth bsaana View Post
        I have known some people to type EVERY website address into google and search it to click on a link. They think the search box is where they have to enter the website, and it can't be done any other way.
        <looks at Mom>

Yup, I know one of them too.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
          <looks at Mom>

Yep, me too!

Comment

Quoth bsaana View Post
            my mom does this

in her defense-she's ok at other things, and calls me with he exact text of the pop-ups from various programs-this is her first ever time having a computer and internet access-so not doing too badly....I guess....
            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth bsaana View Post
              ... and then they click on the google sponsored link leading to a phishing site or some such.

Comment

God help them if a code-box (for unknown reasons) pops up.
                "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth bsaana View Post
                  I've been trying to get bosses and coworkers alike to stop searching URLs they already know, but I know in some cases they will never change. >_<

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                    Ditto. Most common occurrence is to search for Google maps on Google (at least I've shown her that googlemaps.com gets the same result), and if a site isn't in the location bar dropdown list hysteria ensues. If I clear the page history to rebuild the list...you'd think I just deleted the sites from the internet.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

"Just type 'my.companyname.com' into your address bar and hit enter." "My what?"

At least 3 times a week.
                      I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                        Ditto. Most common occurrence is to search for Google maps on Google (at least I've shown her that googlemaps.com gets the same result), and if a site isn't in the location bar dropdown list hysteria ensues. If I clear the page history to rebuild the list...you'd think I just deleted the sites from the internet.
                        Bwahahaha.

That's another one I'm trying to train the bosses and coworkers on. If you're looking up how to get to an address that you already know, why wouldn't you just put that into the search bar and then take the link to the Google Maps result?

Instead they have to search for Google Maps, then they have to actually go to Google Maps, and only then will they enter the address.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                          and if a site isn't in the location bar dropdown list hysteria ensues. If I clear the page history to rebuild the list...you'd think I just deleted the sites from the internet.
                          Heh, reminds me of my dad. He didn't want all the junk he had on the search drop down list, he only wanted some of the sites on there. I told him that I could either clear the whole list or leave it as is, but I couldn't do any in between that I knew of. He only needed 2 sites from that list for any kind of regular purposes, so I threw those 2 up on his quick links for his browser and showed him how to use them, then cleared the browsing history. And all was right with the world once more
                          "So, let's build a snowman! We can make him our best friend. We can name him Bob or we can name him Beowulf! We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall!"

Comment

Quoth ExRetailDrone View Post
                            Heh, reminds me of my dad. He didn't want all the junk he had on the search drop down list, he only wanted some of the sites on there. I told him that I could either clear the whole list or leave it as is, but I couldn't do any in between that I knew of.
                            In firefox, shift+delete will clear individual entries from the drop-down list. I've been using firefox, and netscape before that, since 1994, and I only found this out a few months ago.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                              In firefox, shift+delete will clear individual entries from the drop-down list. I've been using firefox, and netscape before that, since 1994, and I only found this out a few months ago.
                              Hmm, interesting. Good to know!

I've been using Firefox for years now (and made sure to install Firefox on my parents' computers because IMNSHO Internet Explorer is the devil), but I honestly just never cared to clear individual entries. Either I'll clear them all or leave them be, no in between

But if my dad ever asks me again, I'll be able to put this new knowledge to good use!
                              "So, let's build a snowman! We can make him our best friend. We can name him Bob or we can name him Beowulf! We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall!"

Comment

Working...
                              X