This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome Back!

Normally I would take the Monday after a convention off work. I really tried to do that this time as well, but I had to come in today since my boss was sent off to training on the next set of upgrades to our specialized software that we use at my workspace. As there are only two of us in IT, I needed to be here.

I just got an email from a user telling me that their network is down.

You know, the same network that connects them to email.

The one I fixed just minutes before, allowing the email to actually be sent.

I don't have enough sleep for this.

The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

My (l)users are like that too. A couple weeks ago my Exchange server conked out because its hard drive was full. As I was working on fixing it, I got a phone call from a user.

Buffalo = me
    CL = Clueless Luser

*phone rings as I'm working on the server*

Buffalo: "[business name], Buffalo speaking."
    CL: "Hi Buffalo, my email doesn't seem to be working. Outlook says it lost the connection to the server."
    Buffalo: "Yes, the server's having issues, I'm working on fixing it right now."
    CL: "You should send an email out to everyone so they know the server's down."
    Buffalo: " . . . "
    CL: "That was a dumb suggestion, wasn't it?"
    Buffalo: *Almost exploding from all the potential smart-ass comments brewing* "Umm your email should be back up shortly. Have a nice day."
    Last edited by Buffalo; 11-09-2010, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Kinda like the (l)user who said I should send out a uni wide voicemail when the voicemail server was going to be down... since, you know, she wasn't checking her email....
      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

It could be worse. Not long ago, my boss actually said that I should schedule server failures for more convenient times
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
          It could be worse. Not long ago, my boss actually said that I should schedule server failures for more convenient times
          well, that's feasible. Any time you suspect that a server failure is imminent, wait for said "more convenient time" then introduce said server to a 20lb sledge. When you get asked why you did that, simply reply "it was either that or allow the failure to occur at a less convenient time."
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Actually, I've found that a 40-pound fence maul works better
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
              Actually, I've found that a 40-pound fence maul works better
              Think BIG. Think THERMITE!
              "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
              Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

I have had user call me saying that couldn't make any outside calls from our PBX by calling me on my cell phone from their desk phone.

Turns out they didn't dial the area code, despite begin required for at least a year at that point for local calls.

Comment

Quoth Buffalo View Post
                  CL: "That was a dumb suggestion, wasn't it?"
                  Well, at least he acknowledged it. There's hope for him yet ^_^
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    Well, at least he acknowledged it. There's hope for him yet ^_^
                    There is no hope for this luser. One time the user printed a document, but the color was wrong. So they scanned the color printout, attached it to an email and sent it to me. The only problem was the scanner they used only scanned in black and white

Comment

Okay, he just trumped himself. That's just *sad*.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                      X