This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's worse...

Parents on Facebook, or your parents' friends who also send you friend requests?

In all fairness, my mom is pretty cool on Facebook and is decently savvy. I don't have to worry about her keeling over in shock if I post a pic with a beer or use a cuss word. However, all her friends who send me requests wouldn't be nearly as cool with me dropping an F bomb. Maybe because I used to tutor some of their kids?

The problem came from the fact that they had both set their profiles to completely private and therefore were unable to find each other to send a friend request. This was the day I permanently turned off Facebook chat. All. Day. Long. I get pings from mom's friend asking me how she can send a friend request to my mom. I told her I honestly didn't know. Hell, I STILL don't know. All I can figure is that one of them would have to temporarily change privacy settings so they could at least find each other. From what I understood, she was bugging the living crap out of my brother at the same time.
    The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

and this is why I have two accounts, one is very boring and dull which I hardly ever update and the other is the one I actually use (under my nickname which is a fairly common one)

family and work (and a couple of select aquiantances) on one and mates on the other
    "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
    Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

And this, my friends, is why you have people in groups and use the separate settings for each one.

I've got one for "respectable" people. It gives them only limited access to my page. Plus, for things like iffy pics, you can also set security settings individually.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I've had my kids friends send me friend requests so they asked for it
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

My mom is friends with me on FB. At thisbpoint, I really don't care. I don't post anything... questionable.
          SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
          SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

I'm waitin' for the day when aomeone asks me why a 54 year old man has a 14 year old Mexican girl for a friend on FB.

psssttt...she's my niece
            "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

If you play even a single Facebook app, nobody will think twice. I've got people in my contact list that I don't even know. Hell, some of them are listed as too young to even be on the site, much less play the games. Then again, at least one of them is a dog.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                If you play even a single Facebook app, nobody will think twice. I've got people in my contact list that I don't even know. Hell, some of them are listed as too young to even be on the site, much less play the games. Then again, at least one of them is a dog.

^-.-^
                I'm friends with a kitty on fb
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I have a friend in EVE online that has a picture of me on his FB that is listed as his mother I also happen to be the same age she is.
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                    I'm friends with a kitty on fb
                    A kitty, two rats, a dog...
                    "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                    - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Well, two things.

One, I am pushing fifty and just no longer give a a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut about stuff like that anymore.

Two, I just keep it reasonably clean and respectable on there more or less anyway. I don't say anything I wouldn't say with my mom or my priest in the room (note my mom is probably way more uptight than my priest). Not because I'm hiding anything, it's just that I really have nothing to hide.

I'm actually pretty boring.

I'm probably way more vulgar here (well, here and at someplace like music practice with my friends) than anywhere else. Because I come here to blow off steam, like most people Nobody (the mom and the priest included) would be shocked to discover I have a potty mouth, believe you me.

Comment

Facebook...hsssss it wantssss my preciousss ..we hatesss it. Seriously not a big facebook person
                        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I don't even have a FB account. Nor Myspace or any of that ilk. I guess that makes me a dinosaur.

Heck, even fora like this one are dangerously modern for me; I grew up on Usenet. Didn't even need a web browser. Show some of these kids today an NNTP server and they wouldn't have any idea what it is, let alone how to use it.

Comment

Hey fellow dinosaur! I'm not on facebook, myspace or whatever.
                            I loved the good old usenet, did you have a Compu$erve Account, too?
                            No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

I'm not on Facebook either. There isn't anybody I want to talk to that I can't call or email. I have a LiveJournal account but haven't used it for a long time.

I guess if you have friends and family scattered around the country FB is useful, but I don't.
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X