X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Friend with PPD thinks I slept with her partner

**** warning wall of text ******

Long & short of it is my best friend of my whole 32 years has accused her partner (and father of her 2 kids) of cheating on her with me. I am mostly asexual & definitely aromantic. She knows this. I am also childfree. I love my nieces & nephews, but being surrounded by stranger's kids makes me twitchy and anxious. While D knows this, it has caused issues with her other friends.

D = Best friend (her dad has been friends with mine since they were young and we have grown up together)
    C = her partner of 9 years
    A = her mum

(Background) Both D & I have suffered from depression for most of our lives. Sometimes she is down and I am up or she is up and I am down or we are both hovering around coping. While mine was mostly caused by bullying, hers was caused by a number of factors that include a neurotic smothering emotional mother that wasn't very stable and an emotionally abusive boyfriend that she was with from 15-21. A is a very emotional person and is more than a bit of a martyr. Nothing D does is 'right' according to A.(end BG)

She had her first child in 2010 while I was on the other side of the world. This was not a planned kid and she did have to go off medication while pregnant. D was also on the other side of the country to her family for the first 6 months of the pregnancy. She had gestational diabetes and a host of other issues including constant morning sickness. I knew that she was not coping but she kept shutting me out and it's hard to do anything over Skype or sms. Eventually, my mum was able to visit her a few times and help her realise that she was doing ok with the way she was caring for Kid1.

I came back to Oz when Kid1 was 18 months old. D was better, but not 100%. Kid1 was on the bottom edge of 'normal' weight range but she was putting it on and growing at a steady rate. Because of this, D was constantly having strangers judging her and offering rather stupid advice. D is the kind of person that can't brush this shit off and she lets it fester.

D joined a local mother's group and met a small group of parent's with kids the same age and I thought 'Yay!'. Not Yay. I have never met a more judgemental group of people and I went to an all girls high school. The only thing these women could talk about was how bad the birth was and were constantly saying 'I had it worse.' Everything was a competition, I mean E V E R Y T H I N G. From how many stitches to how many times they need to pee to how long their kid feeds for to how many nappies they changed per day.

So at parties, I started going outside to talk to the dad's. Mostly because I'm not so good at blood & guts. Apparently, because I'm the only single female there, this means I want to steal one of their men. I also got accused of flirting with them. A few times one of the husbands bought their brother along. I was talking to him because I'm me and I talk to everyone. So they try to not subtly hint that we should get together. I end up having to get nasty about it to 2 mum's because they would not take no for an answer. (I explained to him that it's nothing against him, I just don't do relationships. He was pretty good about the situation because he had just gotten out of one.)

This was over the course of 3 years, seeing these parents 3-4 times a year. I was never rude, expect that once to say back off. I always tried to talk to all of them over the course of the night. Never yelled at their kids. But I like books & travelling. Most of these people had barely left the state and were TV only people. There were only so many topics that we could discuss. The dad's were all car racing fans and I love watching the V8's so that was the main topic of conversation.

During this time, D & C were trying to have a second kid. I was not aware of this until not long before Kid2 was conceived, but they had been trying for 2 years. I now believe this was mostly due to pressure from this group of parents. D had always said that she only wanted 1 kid growing up. If I had been aware, I would have encouraged her not to.

Kid2 arrived in July 2014. Pregnancy was a bit easier this time except for the morning sickness. Kid2 was not an easy baby, still isn't. He doesn't sleep more than a few hours. Had issues feeding. Had colic and then teething issues. Unfortunately, they had a baby that was like me. So I suggest that they talk to someone who didn't kill me, aka my mum. (I'll add here that mum had 2 PITA babies out of 3 and was also in childcare for 18 years. She knows her stuff. A had 2 easy babies in comparison.)

For 6 months D gets worse and worse, barely leaves the house, doesn't take care of herself (days without showering or brushing teeth), forgets to eat but does feed the kids. Won't let anyone visit. Won't answer texts (never answers calls, so most people will text her). During this time, D was doing a uni course and they were looking at buying a business that would allow her to work from home. Basically, it was an everything at once situation.

Around this time, I was accused of not caring about them when I asked what I could bring for a gathering. D had gone vegan, while C and the kids were veggies. I'm a meat eater, so this then became a guessing game of what did & didn't have animal products in it. D also can't make a choice if her life depended on it, so basic things like 'what's your fav dip?' became impossible.

Xmas 2014, I was in the middle of my own breakdown. In the proceeding 12 months, we had sold our family home of forever, I had lost my nana (2 days after Kid2 was born), I had finally quit a nasty job when headhunted, then lost the new job due to the company shutting down. Also during this, one of the mum's started telling D that I was after a husband and that I shouldn't be trusted. So instead of being there for each other, I was again shut out. (Thank fuck one of my other friends realised how bad I was and helped.)

Still Facebook friends at this point and I would talk to C every now and then on his drive home, mostly about the kids. I sent them birthday cards and tried to keep communication open. Didn't meet up but she would respond to comments and posts. By July, she started realising how not supportive her mother's group friends actually were, so I was apparently allowed to be in her life again.

In the last 12 months, D has been getting worse again. She has gone very radical in some of her parenting views. Kid2 in still nearly constantly strapped to her, she's still breastfeeding, is obsessed with gender neutral toys and has basically become a martyr. Nothing anyone tries to do is right and she HAS to do everything. She again barely leaves the house except to post the parcels for their online business. Is constantly posting judgemental things on people's posts or starting her own and getting shitty when she gets called out.

So C has reached out to me a few times. Some of the times have been regarding work issues, as we both work in offices & D used to be a vet nurse. Some of the times have been regarding issues between them. Some have been issues with his family or D's family. We are friends, so I have never had an issue with this. I've also reached out to him because I can count my most trusted friends on one hand.

We have had dinner together twice in the past 8 months. Once when D was out with her new mum friends & A wanted to have the kids. C needed a different perspective on a work situation & on D's spiralling mental health. D knew where he was.

3 weeks ago, D told C that she wanted a break. They have recently had a lot of money issues because C lost that job and their online business, while growing, couldn't pay the mortgage. They had to move in with D's parents. It's not a good situation. C was obviously pretty upset, so he was talking to me about the situation in between his counselling sessions. D told him she needed a week, so C moved in with his parents. We arranged to catch up on the Friday because I needed someone to talk to because I was having issues about the shit going back to studying was bringing back.

So we go out, get food and a couple of drinks. Money is tight for both of us so we go cheap. C is crashing on my couch so driving home is not an issue. I show C a photo of my uk ex-housemate who has recently lost a lot of weight. Both D & C met her when she come to Oz for a visit. He sent her a 'wow you look amazing in the photo you sent Blue Ginger' message through Facebook messenger then sends a photo of me with a drink as well. At 8pm, C calls D to say goodnight to the kids. C says that he is out with a work friend and is heading back to his folks soon. (I am not happy about this lie but I know D will get pissy if she thinks C is having any kind of fun. Remember the martyr complex?) An hour later, C phone blows up with a million messages. At this point we are both confused as she is accusing C of lying but won't say what about.

8:30am sat morning, I get a call saying I am disgusting and a liar and our friendship is terminated. She is pissed that I know they are having issues. I try to explain that I reached out to C because I needed to talk to someone and she wasn't responding to me, again, when I really needed to talk to her. She also said something along the lines of 'they were right' but she had woken me up and I wasn't fully alert yet, so I wasn't sure about this bit.

I spoke to C a few hours after this call because he was actually in a marriage counselling session followed by a meditation session when it happened. I told C that I needed some time to figure this out because I'm in shock. At this point I discovered I was blocked from their Facebook business page & her personal page. We both believe that she went onto his Facebook account and looked at his messages. C has changed the password.

Today, 2 weeks after, he has sent me a message to say that their relationship has ended. D also asked him directly if he had slept with me. We are both horrified that she would even think this.

I think that she has been getting advice from someone that doesn't believe men and women can be friends. In her newish circle of friends there are 2 women who's partners cheated on them. I believe that the idea has come from one of them. Both her parents are currently overseas otherwise I believe (and hope) that they would have told her it was not possible.
    I am heart broken that she thinks so little of someone that she has known her whole life.

I don't even know what advice I'm looking for. I just needed to get this out.
    A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

What. A. Mess.

I'm really sorry you've been caught in the middle of this mess.

All I can say is -- if you wish to keep in touch with her at all -- let her know you are always there for her and your door is always open, and then YOU step back from this friendship a bit. It is wearing you down, and there is nothing you can do for her if she is non-cooperative. You have suffered from depression too, so yes, you know what she's going through, but it sounds to me (and I am not a psychologist, nor do I play one on television ...) as though there's more than just depression going on with your friend. Reach out occasionally, and see if she has become more receptive, but keep in mind the fact that you cannot fix her life for her.

At some point, hopefully, she will come around and realize that she is making a pig's breakfast of her own life, and will take steps to amend that. Until then, all you can do is let her know you care (assuming that you still do ...) and then leave the ball in her court.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Thanks Pixelated. That is basically what mum has said.

My parents and her parents are still friends, so I will be getting updates from them about how things are going. Hopefully in a couple of weeks, I can catch up with her dad and let him know that I still care. And that there is nothing beyond friendship between C and myself.
      A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Sorry, hopefully things will work out for everybody ... especially the kids!

And I have plenty of guy friends, that I have never been interested in and they have never been interested in me [sexually] so she has to be being influenced by those 2 women with issues [or possibly her mental state of the moment?]
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

So now I'm being called a whore by her sister in a message via Facebook. I'm being blamed for their whole situation.

So I just messaged her back that I'm asexual and aromantic and if some delusional person is telling her I'm after C she needs to stop listening. I also said that I love C the same way I love D and a short list of other close friends that are both male and female.

I don't think there is anyway to come back from this. There is only so many times a hand can be smacked before you just can't reach out anymore.

Now excuse me because I need a really big drink followed by a pain killer to knock me into sleep for the next 10 hours or so.

Comment

I didn't even finish reading all of that and my thought is STEP AWAY FROM THESE PEOPLE.

They are too caught up in their own problems to deal with you in a healthy manner. You cannot fix them. It is possible that you may have to give up on this friendship, and I'm sorry to say that, I know how much it hurts to lose friends. But you have to take care of YOU first.

You can't stop people from thinking or saying things about you, all you can do is live your own life. Frankly, I think you should stay off their Facebook pages and block them from your own. They are looking for someone outside of the family to blame for their problems and have projected their issues onto you. You don't need this.

Let them go. If they ever get their shit together, maybe you can revive the friendship, but NOT if they're going to use you for a punching bag, figuratively speaking.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

^^^^ What MoonCat said. Totally!

Step WAY away from them; block them from your FB page and stay away from theirs. You can't affect their actions; all you can do is decide your own response. Stop trying to explain yourself to them; they are obviously refusing to listen and their reaction to your explanation is going to be, "Yeah, yeah, that's what she SAYS, but WE know better."

At this point, and perhaps I'm being a bitch about it, I wouldn't even attempt to give her the "My door's always open" speech. I'd just cut them all off. Total silence. Block them from your FB page, your email address(es), your phone, everything.

I'm truly sorry this is happening to you. It is hard to give up a friend, especially one who has been your friend for a long time, but you need to protect yourself, first and foremost. You are being made the scapegoat here, and you don't deserve that.
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

walk away, block her in all forms and any mutual connections who go after you regarding her imploding marriage. Nothing good is going to come from continuing to confront her (or anyone else she ropes in to go after you) with reality, it'll just extend the drama and pain. It suck mightily when this sort of stuff happens but it's the path she has chosen to deal with her problems and there is nothing you can do to make it better.

Remember- "not my circus, not my monkeys". you didn't start it, you aren't part of it but you can control your involvement in her meltdown.

Comment

I had a really really long chat with my ex-housemate from London friend last night on Skype. She basically said to walk away too.

Her sister is now backtracking and saying she never thought I would sleep with C and D never said that. (bullshit, I saw the message where she accused C of that.)

I also found out how jealous D has been of everything I've been doing in the last few years. From living in Dublin & London, to the various overseas holidays and interstate trips. She also doesn't believe that I will stick with or pass my uni degree. I think that hurt the most. C also said that she was really jealous of the weight loss that London friend did (size 18 down to 10 over 18mths) and thought I was rubbing it in her face. Even thought I was pathetic for wanting to loose the 10kgs that were annoying me.

London friend helped me realise that the last decade or so of friendship has constantly been me reaching out. I just can't do it any more. I'm going to miss Kid1 & Kid2, but my own sanity is too important to get destroyed by this imploding relationship.

So I'm walking away from all of them. And it's going to hurt, but I'm still just going to walk away.

Thanks for the advice and support from all of you lovely people.

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
                    So I'm walking away from all of them. And it's going to hurt, but I'm still just going to walk away.
                    Good for you. If your friend ever wants to drag her head out of her @rse it's up to you whether you let her back in, but at the moment she's pure poison.

Just try to remember in the next few months that whatever happens to her family is Not Your Fault. Try not to feel guilty, and if you do find yourself succumbing then call your London friend for a pep talk since they seem to have their head screwed on right.

Good luck, and mental hugs and guilty pleasure of your choice in preparation.
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

What greek_jester said.

Many hugs, and remember NONE OF THIS IS YOUR FAULT.
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I had a long chat with C last night and explained to him that I can't be involved in the situation at all and that they need to sort it all out for themselves. I also said that I can't be the ghost at the table during the discussion regarding their separation. So we have agreed that there will be no contact with me until Kid1's birthday in November.

I showed him the messages that D's sister (let's call her L) sent to me and my responses. I told L to show her parents and D because I didn't want any misunderstandings about what I said. I basically dot pointed a long list of shit that had been going wrong, including the fact that it is always me reaching out. And that until D seeks and gets help that I don't want to be contacted by anyone.

At the moment I am attempting to write a short letter to Kid1 letting her know that I still love her and Kid2 but I won't be around for the next little while. C thinks that this is the best thing to do for the moment because Kid1 is wanting to know when I will be visiting again. The letter will be going to C's parent's place.

Just the relief of making the decision to walk right away has helped me sleep. Last night was the best night sleep I've had in months. I didn't realise how much weight from this has been sitting on my shoulders.

Thanks everyone for the advice and thanks for helping me not feel so alone in this cluster fuck of a situation.

Comment

I think your idea of writing to the kids is a good one. Kids being kids, it's very possible that without that letter, one or both will think your absence is due to something they did or didn't do. This way they know that your door is always open to them.
                          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                          X