This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Food Lady View Post
    If you can figure out how to make vegan marshmallows, let me know. Those things are expensive. Actually, now that I think about it, vegan gelatin does exist. Hmmmm.
    I believe you're referring to agar (made from seaweed) as a vegan gelling medium - from the definition of how gelatin is made, it's not possible to have vegan gelatin.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Yeah, I found something at the store recently, but I don't remember if it was agar or something else. It came in a llittle box. I would like to try making mousse, actually.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

A bit O/T, but since it involves gelatin, and jello molds are common around the holidays, here's a handy hint:

NEVER use fresh pineapple (or papaya) in Jello (canned is OK). Both contain an enzyme that breaks down the protein in gelatin (don't know whether they do the same to agar - not familiar with its long-chain molecule), so it'll either never set, or it'll set and then go liquid again. The heat involved in canning deactivates the enzyme.

On the other hand, if you have a delicate jello mold that wasn't washed right away, and has some dried-on gelatin that you're afraid to scrub off, fresh (not canned) pineapple juice left to soak in the offending region will break down the protein so you can wash it off. Best source? A fresh, skinned and cored pineapple from the cut fruit section at the grocery (some have more juice at the bottom of the container than others).
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          If you can figure out how to make vegan marshmallows, let me know. Those things are expensive. Actually, now that I think about it, vegan gelatin does exist. Hmmmm.
          you might be able to replace the gelatin with agar. Try looking for it in an asian supermarket. If it turns out, it will be a bit firmer than with gelatin.

Comment

OOOOOO.... Now I want to make marshmallows. In the shape of Ninja Bread Men!
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Ninja bread men! Saw those cookie cutters at Target recently.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Iradney, thank you so much for the recipe!
                Dear goodness this is easy, just made a batch of vanilla and of orange blossom.
                I gotta remember not to eat these all to my self!

Comment

Working...
                X