Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would not take your financial advice!

Rayndel's post about the "scientist" who doesn't know how heat works reminded me of a few of my own SC's. I didn't want to thread-jack, so I'm posting my stories here.

Quick BG: I work for a very large full-service financial institution. My department handles incoming calls from existing customers with consumer (personal) credit card accounts.

I took a call one day from an elderly customer. Very sweet woman. After I got her security info verified, she asked me if she could put her financial adviser on the phone because she didn't understand her accounts and he was helping her get her finances sorted. I asked her if she was giving me permission to speak to this person about her account information (we're required to get verbal confirmation if said individual isn't listed on the account) and she said yes, so I gave the go-ahead.

This guy gets on the phone and instantly I do not like him. He has that sort of smarmy attitude that just gets on my nerves. It's also pretty clear that he's a shitty financial adviser. I can understand asking for clarification about something specific to this account, but this jerk didn't even have a basic understanding of credit reporting, interest rates/APRs, or bank lending practices. He was asking me to do things with her account that are prohibited by federal banking regulations! We went around in circles because he could not grasp that this is not a "bank policy" or a lack of authority on my part; it's against the law!

Another one was a customer who called in to request a credit line increase. He was also very cocky and insulted that we had only offered him a credit line of $5000. He claimed to have cards with other banks that had limits of $20,000 or more. His stated occupation was also Financial Adviser, working for a very well-known firm for ~25 years IIRC. His request was not approved. Upon checking his account history, I saw that he's paid over 30 days late on this credit card over a dozen times, and over 60 days late multiple times as well!
    Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Wow, I hope that elderly woman got herself a new financial adviser very quickly. That guy sounds like a first-class scammer.

Comment

Sound to me like this "adviser" may just be a friend/family member who thinks that using such a title makes him sound better to the people they speak with on the phone >_>
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        Sound to me like this "adviser" may just be a friend/family member who thinks that using such a title makes him sound better to the people they speak with on the phone >_>
        She should still probably try to find a new one though.

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
          She should still probably try to find a new one though.
          I believe Eric was referring to the person in the second story, not the lady with the bad financial adviser. But yes, I hope she did too.

Comment

^_^ I was referring to the financial adviser, actually - -I was expressing my doubt that he was anything of the sort. q.v. times when a person will come in yelling a lie like "I'm a lawyer!" or "I'm the owner's son/uncle/cousin/whatever!", under the delusion that it will intimidate someone.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
            X