This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Part Of -

I won't be able to get to it right away don't you understand?

Customer phones ahead and asks about labor to clean out his laptop. I quote him the rates and let him know it might be a while (as in a day or 2) before I can get to it. I also tell him it would be better if he dropped it off tomorrow, because it's already toward the end of the day and it'll just sit until tomorrow anyway. He responds that he'll drop it off today before close.

He walks in at 4:00, and starts asking if I can clean it out while he waits! I explain to him (again) that I have work (quite a bit actually) ahead of him, and that there's no way I can get to it today. He looks at his watch and says: "But you have an hour before you close" I repeat that I have people ahead of him (large corporate people at that) and now there isn't really enough time to do it anyway. He finally (after much hemming and hawwing) fills out the paperwork and walks out.

I understand that your laptop is probably your life, and there are Very Important (TM) things on it you can't live more than a couple of hours without, but being told multiple times that you're going to have to leave it, and that it might take a couple of DAYS to get to, and still trying to get it done while you wait, is just asking for me to put it off longer. This kind of thing is why we go to the owner several times a year and beg him to let us start turning away walk in customers. I can already hear the phone ringing, right at 8:30, with him asking if his laptop's ready yet.

Incidentally: while our hours are 8am-5pm M-F, the repair part of the shop stops working around 4:30 for cleanup and closing procedures, as it takes us about 1/2 an hour to get things shut down and organized for the next day.

But special snowflake deserves to have his work done NAO!!!

Comment

Amazingly, he actually WAITED for us to call him to pick up his laptop!!! Guess there are exceptions to the rule. He even asked if he can refer us to a friend of his.

Comment

Been there, done that. I guess you have to give them a grain of salt because they have no idea it can take hours to run scans and such, but it's still irritating that they think you can essentially flip a magic switch and clean their computers while they wait.

Plus not having the forethought to realize that they might not be the only computer in the shop.

They'd probably be the first ones to cry and complain if someone cut in front of them in line at the grocery store... but they want you to put them at the top of the service list just because.

Comment

I only ever took mine to a shop once, and I ended up having to wait almost a whole week. I'm so glad I know how to fix them myself now.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

...they have no idea it can take hours to run scans and such...
            Ain't that the truth. This particular machine came in for a cleaning, which, for this model, involves taking the entire thing apart down to the system board. I quoted him an hour for the job, and he definitely got his money's worth.

MadMike: Our turnaround is generally next day, unless we're swamped, then it's more like 2 days, but it all depends on the issue. If it needs a part that's on back order, we're at the mercy of the manufacturer. They've stopped giving us ETA's on stuff now, so when the customer calls about their repair status, the best answer we can give em is "it's on backorder with no ETA", which is not really an answer. If the issue is complicated, it can take a couple of days worth of diagnostics and troubleshooting just to drill down what's wrong with the thing, but if that's the case, the customer is kept apprised of the situation.

Comment

Working...
            X