This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tow Files: Blast From The Past

So, I was sure I'd have an excellent Cussing out Co-Irkers story for ya'll today, and I kinda still do, but the original COCW was one upped in a way that proves the Universe has the sickest sense of humor anyone has seen.

Our story starts when I walked in the gate this morning, there was no sign of my designated vehicle.

It wasn't where I left it last night, and a quick run around of the usual hiding spots (service bays, side storage lot and the "dead storage" out behind employee parking where the abandoned stuff goes) turns up nothing.

So, with a pit in my stomach, dreading the answer, I walk up to towing manager and ask him where my ride went.

"It's not out back?"

I was afraid he'd say that...

"Nope, and it's not in service, on the side, or in storage, so, uh, did something happen to it?"

Towing Manager runs off to ask Service Manager if they know anything about it's current whereabouts.

Why yes, they do.

They sent two of their less-talented boys out early this morning to pick up a car from the local rental car place and bring it in for a quick tune-up and oil change. Since the car in question still drives on it's own and doesn't need towed, they didn't see a problem with two guys not trained in towing using my truck to ferry over there, since I wasn't due in for another hour. (There's a designated "gopher" vehicle for this kinda stuff, but it was out too, hence I got carjacked)

So they drove over to the rental place, got in the rental car, and drove back.

See where the mistake was made?

Yeah, you read that right.

THEY BOTH GOT IN THE CAR, THEY BOTH DROVE BACK

NEITHER ONE THOUGHT TO DRIVE THE TRUCK BACK!!!!

The service manager is now going to kill them, then towing manager is going to kill them, and then I am going to kill them. There won't be enough left of them to bury in a lunchbox by the time we're done.... promise you that.

So, while Dumb and Dumber are sent back over to return the rental car (oil change is done) and bring back my vehicle, under penalty of a fourth death, I'm sulking off in the corner of the office, nursing some very impure thoughts about my fellow man. That's when I become aware that our dispatcher/receptionist is having a spirited one-sided argument with someone one the phone, but I only catch the last part:

"Yes, it will cost extra to change the tire unless you do it yourself. ..... Well, you can think whatever you want, Sir, it's still $480 to pick your car up plus $45 for a tire service. Sir.... Sir I.... whatever.... " *clickslam* (she hung up on him mid-rant it would appear)

"Another satisfied customer?"

"Ugh, this guy... he's gonna be real fun when he comes in...he got a DUI last night and is blaming us for it"

"Huh?"

She tosses me the tow sheet from the "to be released" pile

"Read and be amazed"

Hmmm, looks like this call came in last night when Yup was on. At 11pm, location was Soandso Apartments.... hmmm...... woah, that's a lot of check boxes ticked off....

- winch fee
    - cleanup fee
    - standby fee (up to first full hour)
    - impound fee

Yeah, that's nearly five hundred clams in charges, and, under the "notes" section we have:

"Hung up on landscaping, damage to property, called PD, DUI Impound per Officer X"

So now it's starting to make some sense. This guy apparently drove onto the landscaping at that apartment, and into a ditch, got stuck/immobilized from all that resulting damage, called us for a winch-out, and when Yup got on scene, he put 2 and 2 together and, as he is legally obligated to do when damage occurs to persons or property other than that of the vehicle owner, he called the cops, who administered a DUI test of some kind that the driver failed and the car was impounded.

And now, in addition to owing the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania a hefty chunk of change, he owes us about six times what he thought he would when he called us and assumed we'd be complicit in his felony....

There's also a note in the "Vehicle damages" section that this car has an enormous scrape down the passengers side, and the right rear tire is flat. You really have to go hard aground to do that. Looking out the window across the impound yard, I can see that gouge from about 40 yards away... not good, and I can also see the RR tire is, missing... the WHEEL is there, but there isn't a shred of vulcanized rubber left on it. Yup put a cinder block under it so it would sit level when he unloaded it... wow. And that's what he was chimping out at dispatcher for, that's only his total so far, if he needs a tire change to get him rolling (assuming he has a spare) $45 is going to be tacked on.

That was the point at which he told the dispatcher that we were crooks (irony!) and that "our (sic) name means nothing to him anymore because we're dishonest!" (because hiding a DUI isn't, dontcha know?) which is where she pulled his plug like your rich Grandpa's life support.

Ah, here comes Towing Manager, probably back from killing those two dead guys from the service department who ran off with my truck....

"What are you still doing here?"

"Waiting for my truck to get back"

"They haven't left for it yet?!"

"I guess not, it's not here..."

Towing Manager does the honest-to-goodness Picard faceplam, and heads out to kill the two dopes from service again.

He's back a second later,

"They brought it back and parked it out front in the street"

"Out front- front? Why? They know I'm waiting back here, where the tow trucks are parked...."

"You really need to ask why? With those two, Really?"

"No, no I don't, I've owned livestock smarter than them, and it's not over yet"

"Huh?"

"While you were gone, we got a call from this guy *hands him tow sheet*, heads-up, he thinks we should've let him get away with a DUI"

Towing manager scans the paperwork

"Great, this is ALL I need today"

"Yeah, and it's not drivable either, right rear is a railroad car wheel, gonna need a tire change and the dispatcher already told him he's paying extra for it."

Manager glances out the window at the car in question and says a not-so-nice-word.

"Keep me posted, I wanna know if he's half the dick he sounded like on the phone with dispatcher"

"Get outta here.... before I start firing EVERYONE"

"Luv ya too"

So, I got out to stir up some trouble amongst the populace for a few hours and return to the shop sometime after lunch and notice a marked insurance company car parked behind the one-legged DUImobile.

Touching base with everyone in the office, it seems the owner of the car has sent the insurance adjustor over to write up a report on how bad the damage is and get back to him.

Because he wasn't the one driving it last night.

His mechanic was.

Yeah, he gave the car to his mechanic friend to do some kind of work on it, mechanic friend proceeded to get drunk, crash, and yadda yadda yadda..... that's where I came in. Oh, and when he fessed up to his friend that the car was damaged, he tried to pin the damage ON US from the tow.... when the owner called us, this was the first time he'd even HEARD about the DUI, since mechanic was booked and released with a court date, he tried to play it cool and claim that he just got the car towed for illegal parking or some such, and we were the ones who tore off the tire and gouged up the side. (and remember, we're the ones who are crooked in all of this!)

Somehow, it gets better, and you're going to swear I'm making this up... but.... the "mechanic friend" who did this?

Anyone remember this guy? - http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...d.php?t=107350

IT

WAS

HIM!!!!!

Mama Mia, that's a SPICY load of karma....
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

The Stupids...they've been breeding again. It's the only logical explanation. v_v
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

That is a fabulous story! Laughter all around a surprise ending. Thank you.

Comment

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside come inside

To those who think Idiocracy was just a bad Sci-Fi movie SORRY but it IS the future
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

*gets comfy chair*

Comment

Oh frabjous day, a new story AND a link to one I somehow missed. How the hell did Wrecker persuade anyone to let him near their machine?
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I hang out on a board for a type of car I used to own, and some luckless member just relayed what his "friend" did when tasked with the job of replacing an alternator, for which he was paid $120 (as a "favor". A job which ended up taking him 11 hours. (and for which an actual mechanic quoted 2 hours @$110/hr.)

On this particular car (a V6 '00-ish Passat), it is indeed a little bit of a pain to replace the alternator. However, over the course of the repair, he managed to:
              - Drain some of the transmission fluid, because he didn't know what that line did.
              - Unbolt the A/C dryer long enough to let some freon leak out (didn't recognize what it was, even though every car ever made with A/C has one, and they all look the same; it's a big cylindrical aluminum canister.
              - Broke a mounting bracket, which he didn't tell the owner about
              - Very nearly destroyed the alternator pulley when his impact couldn't get it off (didn't have it set right.)
              - And, for the piece-de-resistance... while the owner was buying him... wait for it... a pack of smokes (reference to Arga's linked tale of woe), stashed a box full of "extra" bolts in the trunk. Because nothing screams mechanical competence like the belief that a car is capable of limited self-reproduction and create parts during a repair.

I'm pretty sure my wife could have done a better job, and she's never turned a wrench in her life.

This all means the poor owner needs to pay an actual mechanic money to replace the broken bracket, put the "extra" parts back on the car, top off the transmission fluid (a task an inexperienced DIY-er should not attempt on this particular car), and recharge the A/C. That's gonna be a lot more than the $100 he "saved" by going with his (I think soon-to-be-ex) buddy.
              Last edited by sirwired; 02-24-2017, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I'm guessing mechanic did NOT have permission to be driving the car, much less late at night and drunk. Of course, I'll bet his claim is he was "just test driving it"). I hope the owner doesn't get raked over the coals for something that isn't his fault.

I'm guessing the shop is in HUGE trouble over all of this, and will not only need to fire mechanic but file a lawsuit against him to prove they weren't complicit in this mess. The insurance fallout on this won't be pretty...

Sirwired - This is the price you sometimes end up paying when 'friends help friends'. I would personally make this fool pay the real mechanic to fix all the damage he did, but somehow I don't see that happening. Live and learn...

Comment

*sigh* Have I mentioned lately how much I LOVE the Tow Files?? It did my heart good to see one this morning. I've been having a bad week.
                  Arga, if you lived close to me, I'd bake you a cake.

Comment

Well got-dang, that's a hell of a serving of Karma Kool-Aid for Wreck-It Ralph.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                      IT

WAS

HIM!!!!!
                      That guy makes me think of this-
                      Last edited by EricKei; 02-24-2017, 09:25 PM.
                      AkaiKitsune
                      Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Favours

When I do a friend a favour working on their computers for free/low cost there are certain problems I refuse to try and fix because I know I probably will make things worse if I try to do the work.

It does make it easy to tell who are my real friends however, the fake friends who just think they can use me to save money tend to get angry when you tell them the problem is such that they need to take the computer into a repair shop and I will not work on their messed up machine.

Cheap, Fast, Good: Choose two.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                          When I do a friend a favour working on their computers for free/low cost there are certain problems I refuse to try and fix because I know I probably will make things worse if I try to do the work.

It does make it easy to tell who are my real friends however, the fake friends who just think they can use me to save money tend to get angry when you tell them the problem is such that they need to take the computer into a repair shop and I will not work on their messed up machine.

Cheap, Fast, Good: Choose two.
                          As a fellow "Computer Guy", I, too, have learned the limits of what I will agree to fix. My checklist:

Which PC should I buy? (Answer: Unless you are doing gaming or have some sort of special needs, Anything Available for Sale will probably work fine for a desktop. For a laptop, buy a machine targeted to professionals if you’ll be hauling it around everywhere. Buy a machine with at least 8GB of RAM; the other numbers genuinely are not important.)

Windows is acting funny. Can you fix it? (Answer: No. Backup your data and follow your manufacturer’s instructions for rebuilding the machine. I’m not spending hours and hours tracking down whatever gremlin you’ve uncovered/fixing whatever malware you installed clicking like a spastic monkey on every dialog box that has appeared on your screen.)

Can you setup my home network? (Answer: Ok, I’ll actually do that one, but you better cook me and my wife dinner or take us out. I’ll be a lot less annoyed with the request if you include the proposed ‘payment’ in the request; at least a six-pack… throw me a bone here. But you must buy precisely what I tell you to buy; I’m not beating ChinaTech Router into shape.)

My hard drive crashed, can you replace it? (Answer: No. Because while the actual repair is easy, getting your machine back to the way you like it is not, and I’m not going to spend all day doing so. And that’s if you have a backup system image to start from. You probably don’t.)

I have a Universal Remote, will you talk me through programming it over the phone? (Answer: Hell No. Every person I’ve tried to do this with has turned into a blithering idiot for the remainder of that call. I’m never doing it again. Example Actual Conversation with my Mom: “Okay, your TV is on the wrong input, which button do you push on the TV remote to watch a DVD?” “Hey! It’s working now!” “Which button did you push?” “Okay, how do I change the TV channel?” “I need to finish fixing the DVD; which button did you push?” “The one I always push.” Arrrrgggghhh!!!!)

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                            But you must buy precisely what I tell you to buy; I’m not beating ChinaTech Router into shape.)
                            Forget ChinaTech - has anyone ever tried buying a DeWalt or Makita router for their network?
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I'm tellin' ya...Arga should compile all of these into an e-book or something...
                              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
                              X