Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wherein I get my first doses of suck (Somewhat long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein I get my first doses of suck (Somewhat long)

Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster so please don't rip me into too many shreds.
    (BG): I was recently hired for my first job (I am 17, this will be important later on) at a large chain of grocery stores in Wisconsin. I am working as a cashier so I am still learning the idiosyncrasies of our systems, but that's another story for another day and section. Of course this means that I have had my first encounters with sucky customers, so here goes.

Encounter #1 - Crazy Coupon Lady (or Curse you Coupons.com)
    Me: Yours truly
    CC: Crazy Couponer
    T: Manager on Duty
    Me: Standard opening spiel (Find everything alright, rewards card, yadda, yadda, yadda)
    Me *Notices that there is 1 customer but 4 similar orders, but being a newbie pays it no mind*
    The first 2 transactions go normally but with some minor hiccups, but that is to be expected with the sheer number and variety of coupons she was using. The end 3rd transaction, however is where all hell broke loose so I will pick up our saga there.
    CC: "I would like to use these coupons" *hands stack to me*
    Me: "OK, no problem" *sorts coupons since I was told by T after the 2nd transaction that things go smoother if you scan manufacturer coupons 1st*
    Me: *Starts scanning coupons and notices that some of them just won't scan and I have trouble making the UPC out (as it turns out they were 2nd or 3rd generation copies), I leave them in a separate pile off near my till*
    Me: "Your total is $XX.XX"
    CC: "Did you use all my coupons?"
    Me: "Yes, however some of them couldn't be entered, there is nothing more I can do here, you would need to go to Customer service"
    CC: *mumbles about me being incompetent, pays anyway and takes some of her coupons back*
    Note: It was at this point where I realized that she had been giving me many copied and expired coupons, so for the last transaction I was going to pay more attention so we will pick it up there.
    CC: "And I will use these coupons"
    Me: *Looks at the first one* "Ma'am, this one seems to be expired, I can't take it"
    CC: *Rather cross* "Well if I can't use my coupons I don't want any of this"
    Note: This order was about 25-30 items, some perishable. Also in order to void a transaction a manager override is needed
    Me: "Hey T, mind coming over here, I need to void this transaction"
    T: "And why didn't you want any of this"
    CC (to T): "Because your incompetent cashier won't take my coupons!"
    Me: *Hands coupons to T*
    CC: *fuming mainly at me, but also at the store and all manner of other things *
    T: "Well some of these are clearly copied and most of them are expired, so there is really nothing I can do about it" *voids transaction*
    CC: "Are you accusing me of fraud! The nerve of you to call me a scammer! I will take my business to /competing grocery store/! You will never see my business again! *matches out with too much I'll gotten savings *
    After she left T told me she pulled the same thing earlier in the day ancient that I was the first to notice that something was up, other cashiers just keyed the coupon amount in manually, but since I didn't know how to do that I paid enough attention to the coupon to notice that they were invalid.

Encounter 2 - The Bag Hag (or What do you want me to do?)
    Me -
    B - The bagger at my lane
    BH - The Bag Hag (old man, who, I think finds his only joy in making others miserable)

Me: *Scanning items* "And do you have a rewards card with you today?
    BH: *murmurs*
    Me, a bit louder: "Do you have a rewards card with you today?"
    BH: "No"
    B: "And what type of bag would you like today?"
    BH (mumbled): "Double plastic in paper"
    B (to me): "What?"
    Me: "Double plastic in paper"
    Note that he had a small hotel deli item which was put into separate plastic bags, but the same paper bag as the rest of his stuff
    BH, rather angrily: "Don't put hot stuff with cold!"
    B: *shows him the separate plastic bag, removes it from the paper one and sets it into his cart.
    BH, getting louder: "I said I wanted it in PAPER!" *mumbles various curses at me and the bagger
    Me (to B): "I have customers backed up here, just give him a few of each sort of bag and let him figure it out himself"
    B: *offers bags*
    BH: *accepts, but continues to fume under his breath, goes on to complain at the service desk*

Small things
    * "Yes" is not an acceptable response to the question "Would you like paper or plastic bags today"
    * If you are bringing your own bags, have them ready when the transaction starts
    * Things that don't scan or have a PLU number still cost money, what do you think we are?
    * No, I can't conjure up more of a certain sale item, that is far beyond my pay grade
    * When we run out of sale item, getting angry at me isn't going to help you, but it will annoy me
    * I know that you have to wait a bit longer , but for the 5th time, it isn't legal for me to sell alcohol, I'm not 18
    Annd fin

Welcome, pull up a bacon cookie. Look on the bright side, only 4 years to go until you can start drinking to forget!
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Welcome, RegisterAce!

You'll find we're a friendly bunch here at CS. Feel free to share any stories of retail woe (or amusement) you have!
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth RegisterAce View Post
        so please don't rip me into too many shreds.
        I wouldn't worry. Our users tend to be much more civil than posters at many other boards (which shall go unnamed)
        CC: "Are you accusing me of fraud! The nerve of you to call me a scammer!
        Not directly, no... But if the shoe fits...

I do like how she was 100% prepared for the 'accusation' in question. Almost as if she was used to hearing it. Can't imagine why
        You will never see my business again!
        Sure thing, Ma'am, see you next Tuesday!
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I always liked when people threatened not to buy something because they couldn't use a coupon. Why do they think I care? I absolutely don't get more hours or more pay if they buy a couple yards of fabric, however! I get a mean sort of satisfaction from saying no.

I remember a couple years ago, overhearing the cashier at the grocery store asking the customer if she wanted to buy a bag. (my town banned plastic bags) The customer said "Plastic." It took a couple tries to get the person to understand that she COULDN'T HAVE plastic. At that point our town had been plastic-free for at least two years. But really, she just wasn't paying attention to what the cashier was saying.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I do like how she was 100% prepared for the 'accusation' in question. Almost as if she was used to hearing it. Can't imagine why
            I would think that she would be as earlier in my shift she tried pulling the same thing on another cashier, but that one didn't notice. I can't deny that she certainly had confidence, but I think that it was misplaced. My theory is that she went through my line as it was obvious by my nametag that I was new, see since I didn't have a official nametag, I had one with my name applied using a P-Touch type labeler. Clearly she was a bit too clever for her own good
            Sure thing, Ma'am, see you next Tuesday!
            Well there is another store in the chain a few miles away, not to mention several other stores within the vicinity, so she may not be back. Would be a smart idea (for her not to come back) as we now have examples pinned up along with things to look for to determine if a coupon is a copy
            But really, she just wasn't paying attention to what the cashier was saying.
            I don't think that they are trying to be sucky, but when you have to keep asking all while stuff is piling up it gets sucky fast

Comment

And yeah, that indignation scene ("Are you accusing me of fraud! The nerve of you to call me a scammer!" from your first story was just ... really well-rehearsed.
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

#2 is one of those super coupon people who would "buy" 20-50 of something if the coupon works the per item price down to pennies.

"welcome" to the woolly wonderful world of retail ahhhh I can't do it.
                Soon you will wish hot death on people. I'd rather be on an 8 month deployment of a coast of any country then work retail again.
                AkaiKitsune
                Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

My theory is that she went through my line as it was obvious by my nametag that I was new, see since I didn't have a official nametag, I had one with my name applied using a P-Touch type labeler.
                  My old store had nametags with colored borders; green was a newbie, yellow after a year, and purple was the long-timers. The customer base as a whole knew this, and it became a regular thing for the usual suspects to watch for new green tags and try to pull their crap (and get shot down if us oldsters who gave a crap were on duty as well).

My normal tag was purple, but on occasion when I got thrown on a register I'd make up a green-bordered one to have some fun. The scammers weren't too good at faces, they only paid attention to nametag colors.
                  Last edited by Dreamstalker; 03-04-2017, 07:15 PM.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Good for you, Dreamstalker! I'd love to see the look on the scammer's faces when their realized they weren't going to get away with their trick this time!

Comment

Many times I wished I had a hidden camera, but while possessing one is okay it might be a problem if any of the lovely sucktomers found out I was filming.

There were a few middle managers who hated when I did that Not only was I telling the scammers to take a hike without doing anything that would warrant a writeup, I was training the newbies in a way they never intended.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

When I worked in a supermarket I was called the coupon Nazionale. I didn't let scampers get away with anything in fact they avoided my line. When they went to a different line I called the cashier and warned them. Then they came in after 10 pm when only self check out was open and if I was working they walked out of the store.

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                          Good for you, Dreamstalker! I'd love to see the look on the scammer's faces when their realized they weren't going to get away with their trick this time!
                          Interestingly enough, we can, as she now is on our wall of shame (the LP alert board)
                          Many times I wished I had a hidden camera, but while possessing one is okay it might be a problem if any of the lovely sucktomers found out I was filming.
                          The nice thing about our store being (relatively) new is that there is security cameras on the light pole for every register so no hidden cameras are needed
                          Last edited by RegisterAce; 03-05-2017, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Interestingly enough, we can, as she now is on our wall of shame (the LP alert board)

The nice thing about our store being (relatively) new is that there is security cameras on the light pole for every register so no hidden cameras are needed
                            At one store I worked at years ago (when I first started in the grocery business) we had photo albums of everyone who got busted by the PD for shoplifting or attempted theft. We called those the "Family Albums."

And I think it's great that there are cameras on the front end. The store where I work at now has one fixed on the front Customer Service kiosk (which will soon be gone due to our current remodeling) and our managers have busted quite a few that way.

Not only do they bust shoplifters with those cameras, they've caught a few cashiers sliding stuff over the years as well (and that's a separate post in itself.)

Finally, welcome to CS. And don't worry - we're not too hard on the newbies. You won't have to eat a live chicken on your first visit.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

looks at the critter

No worries. It's not a chicken...o_O

----------------

I remember when they finally put security cameras in at my brother's lil' Italian joint back around 2000. Money had been going missing from the register for months (prime suspects: the kid who was a known thief, who acted like one would expect a shoplifter/thief to expect at all times, was #1 -- my bro's business partner, who made all of the deposits, was #2). They had cameras facing the video poker nook, the bar, the dining room, the kitchen (both the door and within), the soda fountain (While doing time there, I had been repeatedly advised that sodas were a huge loss concern, somehow, so we had to make sure we didn't dispense too much soda 'syrup' in the mix (I was good with a soda gun ) -- despite the fact that our cost was like 6 CENTS per glass; naturally, the beers that the owners quaffed for free were NOT a loss concern) ....even the tiny manager's office in the back of the kitchen & the back door.

The one place there was NO camera pointing? The cash register itself, where all the cash was supposedly missing from. Guess who decided the camera layout...? Why, Bro's business partner, aka Prime Suspect #2. Naturally, they did nothing to stem the tide of profits disappearing from the till on a regular basis.
                              Last edited by EricKei; 03-06-2017, 10:32 AM.
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X