Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Read the sign lady. It says 12 item or less.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read the sign lady. It says 12 item or less.

We have this incredibly annoying customer. She likes to load a big shopping cart full of groceries to the point it's overflowing. Which is her right as a customer and I wouldn't care if she didn't do this next thing.

She then parks herself by the express lane (that's clearly marked with a. 12 and under sign. She sits there waiting and waiting and waiting... Until she sees a bunch of people who have only a few items each and are clearly headed for express. Then she pulls up to the express til and demands we serve her and unloads her groceries. She's even said, to our faces, "that we can't do anything about it because the customer is always right" in that snotty stuck up voice that grates on the nerves.

We were told to shut down and walk away but then if we reopen another till she again does the same thing. She's been known to leave her groceries spread over 4 different tills to force us to serve her. And she always comes at the busiest time.

Now I don't count people's groceries. If they have 13 items I'm not gonna tell them they can't use this till especially if we aren't that busy. But the lady needs to stop being a self entitled prick and learn basic manners... As well as how to read.
    Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Wow, this lady means business, spreading out her groceries, that's hardcore.

A while ago at the big grocery store I heard a woman talking to someone (presumably her friend... You know how friends sometimes start to look like each other?) and her friend must have commented that she had too many items and she said, "oh, I know, but I just don't care!" And they both laughed. And I kinda wanted to freak out and overturn her cart or something, but you know. I try to be sane and just *think* the mean things.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

This is where a good corporate would step in and tell this "lady" to either obey the rules or go elsewhere.

Yeah, and I'll win the lottery next week...

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
        This is where a good corporate would step in and tell this "lady" to either obey the rules or go elsewhere.

Yeah, and I'll win the lottery next week...
        While the front end management is pretty good here they aren't allowed to ban people from the store (stupid I know, but not their fault) they have to submit a bunch of stuff to head office with the why do you want them banned and what did they do this time plus proof. Head office basically won't ban anyone unless they are losing money. Honestly the new owners of the company care absolutely zero about their staff. We are using tills so old that they don't make parts for them anymore and that occasionally spark. We have to get a retired IT guy to fix them. The program is so old that an upgrade to Windows 4 was considered an upgrade. And half our flyer stuff won't scan because in order to attach a sale price to an item we have to create a brand new item in the inventory. Our crappy program doesn't allow for item price changes.

We've told her if she keeps doing that she can't shop here but I think she knows without head office approval we can't actually enforce it.
        Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

That's some deviant power play by a person with FAR too much time on her hands! Who the hell gets their kicks from messing with cashiers in that way?! Why not just get your stuff and get the hell out of there? There are SO many better ways (IMHO) to waste time.... Good Lord above!

Life is too short for that kind of shit!

Comment

Of course I have a song tangental to the topic...
            Shopping Cart Of Love - Christine Lavin
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I really don't understand this mindset. You're still gonna have to wait in line. If there are 5 or 6 people ahead of you, it's probably gonna equal 1 or 2 with full carts elsewhere. Just get in the right line lady!
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Next time ask her which 12 items she wants you to ring up before she puts the rest back where they belong.

Comment

Quoth Rodimal View Post
                  Next time ask her which 12 items she wants you to ring up before she puts the rest back where they belong.
                  Brilliant!
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Minflick, that's what I was thinking. She has too much time and is getting some kick out of it. It's such strange behavior. Can you get your manager to approve a sort of slow down? Express lanes usually have smaller belts and much smaller bagging area. If she wants to use that lane, it will take much, much longer as you ring up a few groceries and carefully bag them, repeat. The manager could then have someone open another lane to cater to other express customers. You'd have time to be ready for the switcheroo if she buys that much at once. But what she needs is psychological help.

Comment

We actually had one cashier who wasn't afraid to tell a customer "You have too many items." She was an older lady, and didn't put up with any bullshit. And she was one of the few day-shift people, which were in short supply, so she could get away with a little more than the night shift people could.
                      Sometimes life is altered.
                      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                      Uneasy with confrontation.
                      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Aside from hating that she's being a mean-spirited jerk, I sympathize with trying to cater to a cart full of goods at an express lane. At *big box retail* there was very little counter and bagging space, and I'd get dirty looks as if it was somehow my fault there was no space to unload a full cart of goods. Not to mention, our express lanes didn't have a belt, so it meant reaching and pulling groceries to me, trying to be faster than the customer unloading. It put a lot of strain on my back, which wasn't helpful.
                        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

If she was leaving stuff on a belt after a lane is closed down (because of her), I would have one of the baggers collect the items in the Go-Back cart and start returning it to the shelves, since it is clearly abandoned merchandise.

Or maybe if your "Express Lane" sign can be moved, shift it to the next cashier over when she comes up with a large order.

Comment

Dreaming of a firm kick in the rear for her... her spine shooting out the top of her head seems excessive, though.

(which is how one old dear made sure her MP would remember her request)
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Sounds like it might be time to drop a ban hammer. Is it possible to say "No express lane for you!" to this woman?
                              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
                              X