This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accommodation Red Tape

I'll try to explain this as clearly as possible.

Some booking websites take down your credit card details to guarantee your reservation but only you are only charged when you check in. Others take the money immediately and the place you stay at charges the company card when you check out.
    (we get sent paperwork beforehand to know what to do)

On our credit card machine we have a function called 'pre authorisation'. Basically it's a security deposit done by typing in an amount and running a CC through it. The property holds onto the money for 7 days before it's automatically returned to the owner. It cannot be reversed during that time. This is usually done in case of damages, but we take down guest CC details anyway without charging them anything else so we rarely do the authorisation.

Now to the meat of the problem. (Some moments may be abridged)

I was on morning shift and this guest is checking out. She was a prepaid guest, but she still wanted an invoice for the stay. I tried to tell her that since WE weren't charging her directly but the AGENT was, she had to get an invoice from them. She then changed gears and asked about the authorisation.

It was (insert amount here) yes? Yes
    And it won't go back to my account until 7 days right? Right.

The lady went off at me and demanded that we give the money back immediately. I thought something was up, so I checked the pigeonhole with all her documents. There was just the booking note and the check in form, but no receipt indicating a pre-authorisation.

I was trying to remain calm, despite a head cold, and tried to probe so I asked the guest if the clerk from last night ran her card through the machine. I couldn't get a straight answer because she couldn't remember and then went on and on like a broken record asking for the money, so I couldn't really probe any further.

Through all her raving, I picked up that the clerk last night took down her Photo ID detail and CC (standard) but it didn't seem like an authorisation was done. But the guest was still roaring on, so I gave my supervisor a call.

This was a TERRIBLE idea.

I got through and told my supervisor the situation, but she kept talking over me and missing details. She told me if there was a receipt and I said no, so I tried to convince the guest but the left in a huff. I got back on the phone with my supervisor and they started raving on how I didn't know how to use the CC machine without hearing my side of the story, so now I'm stuck doing a crash course on my next shift.

In my defence, I was taught about the authorisation when I first started working here and I may have done one a while ago. I knew what it was, I just didn't know if it spat out a receipt.

Well, that lady did say she would take care of it herself. Hope she has the brains to at least check her bank balance.
    (There's no excuse people. You have smart phones with portable internet. USE IT.)

Probably should have kept a cool head, but my cold wasn't having any of that. I can see the one star review coming a mile away.

Also, to my supervisor, please hear out the employee before giving them a lecture. PLEASE.
    Last edited by PoliteBoy; 03-12-2017, 05:47 AM.

A complete waste on both sides...

Comment

When you have your crash course, ask the supervisor how to verify if an authorization was done.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
        A complete waste on both sides...
        Yep. A supervisor who won't hear their employee out should not be a supervisor.
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
          Yep. A supervisor who won't hear their employee out should not be a supervisor.
          If that were a reality, a lot of supervisors would be out of a job.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

But then, that would leave a lot of opportunity for advancement, IA
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Hello, OP here. So the review from the crazy lady came today.

Complaints about the room, yada yada. Saying we took her money for a security deposit, it's not coming back after 7 days blah blah blah. Said I told her i didn't know anything about it and wouldn't give me an invoice.

Yep, standard complaint. Although, let me offer my side.

OK, so we had a mini meeting at work to dig up what happened. So the clerk from the night before my shift said she was going through everything as usual until the credit card snag. Apparently the lady started screaming after she heard we had to take down a credit card detail, even though it was our policy. Again, it was a prepaid stay but we still needed a CC for damages.

It was never run through the CC machine, but it seems they still thought we manually punched in the card numbers to do the authorisation. On that note, so the authorisation has three steps.

1. Tap in the amount to be deposited.
              2. Insert or swipe.
              3. PIN

If it gets approved, a receipt comes out just for the merchant. I guess I can see why they were suspicious in the end.

HOWEVER, that does not give you the right to scream at staff who are genuinely trying to help you and figure out if any money was taken off your CC. You didn't bother giving us a chance to explain ourselves and you weren't complying with our policies.

Judging by their review, they clearly didn't check their bank balances.

I guess part of the fault lies with me as well, since I was intimidated by all their shouting and couldn't properly process everything. Ah well, at least I now remember how the pre authorisation works.

Surprisingly the review was only a 2 out of 5

Comment

They probably checked to see if any money was put in, without checking to see if any had originally left. No wonder they were disappointed.
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Working...
                X