Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Achievement Unlocked. First Race Card! WhooHoo!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Achievement Unlocked. First Race Card! WhooHoo!

Despite being whiter than Casper I've never been called racist by a customer since I was 16 and wouldn't let a Hispanic woman's too-young child go down the water slide...(I told her the rule in Spanish which made me racist I guess).

Yesterday we had someone try to check in with a prepaid debit card (no name) that wouldn't authorize. Then she tried to give me a "manual authorization code." Nope and nope.

On her way out the door she said "this is discrimination" (person happened to be black...I have two black coworkers at the desk, several more who work housekeeping and maintenance, but sadly none of them were within view at the time) and then said we (my French / Italian / German self and my Scotch-Irish coworker) looked like drag queens (huh? both I and my coworker wear very subdued makeup and business suits).

So first race card! Achievement Unlocked!
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
    I told her the rule in Spanish which made me racist I guess).
    She was probably just pissed that she couldn't pretend to not understand you, and ignore the rule.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Forgot to mention that she was speaking Spanish to her son. It isn't nice to assume anyone who appears to be Hispanic speaks Spanish. Some are the children of parents who wanted them to learn English and only English, some aren't even Hispanic (my friend from Morocco gets Spanish all the time, she speaks English and Arabic).
      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Got called a 'White, mother&*%&er, racist trump supporter' for ABSOLUTELY no reason. None of the customers in line, myself, co-workers or the security guard could figure out what the SC's problem was. What made it even more ridiculous is the store I work in is smack dab in the ghetto. If I WAS a racist, I certainly wouldn't be working in a store where 95% of the clientele are minorities

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post

So first race card! Achievement Unlocked!

I must be doing something wrong; so far, nobody's ever accused me of being a racist.

Which would be funny since, like yourself, I've got a Heinz 57 background. And if I got one of those DNA tests done, I'm sure it would unlock some surprises. (My goal for next year: get a DNA test kit!)
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

One of my co-workers got called a racist during a phone interview.

As a point of interest, I have heard from someone who had a pre-paid debit card that due to changes in banking laws, many of the pre-paid debit cards are shutting down. His shut down yesterday. He knew this was happening at the beginning of last month and had time to prepare, but that's because he reads his mail.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
              ... he reads his mail.
              He's definitely a rarity.
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Last time I was called this was after I gave shit to a guy parked in the fire lane, He shouted it at me as I was going in the store, I shouted back " I didn't know being a asshole counted as a race"
                Cue much luz by the people in the store that agreed.
                AkaiKitsune
                Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Congratulations? Now you have to unlock the Trophy
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

There are 512 reasons (OP will understand why I chose that number) why posting the same story on multiple fora increases the risk of outing yourself.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I didn't know Wolfie was on Tales over at Reddit. I'm pretty careful but I think if I do double-post maybe will change the wording. I'll admit to fishing for sympathy in multiple places; we're really understaffed right now which means you're lucky if you get one day off a week. In a company that treats overtime like a four letter word.

Comment

I browse a number of places. Don't post on that particular subreddit - some of the other people here have run across my posts.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                          I must be doing something wrong; so far, nobody's ever accused me of being a racist.
                          I had a black woman scream at me that I was a "racist N-word."

That incident happened while I was watering the plants on the racks outside Hechinger's one night. Most customers were understanding about the water, the hose on the sidewalk, and pretty much stayed away until I'd finished. Not this lady. She was in a wheelchair, and decided that she just *had* to look at the half-dead plants on display. Rather than wait a minute for me to lift the hose out of the way...she decided that she could roll her chair over it. Naturally, she got hung up.

As I'm trying to help her free herself, she called me a "racist N-word." It didn't sink in right away. Part of it has because I couldn't quite hear her, but also because my mind froze in :WTF: mode. I mean, I'm snow white, dammit!

After she called me a "dumb N-word," I lost it. Seriously, if you're going to start throwing around racial slurs, at least use the right ones. Stupid people piss me off...so I threatened to "push her crippled ass into traffic" if she called me that again. My boss was pissed, but as I had witnesses--several customers, some of whom were black--heard what she said, and stuck up for me--so I didn't get into trouble at all.
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I once had a black woman call me a "stupid cracker" cuz I dared to not allow her to push in front of me in a queue. I just ignored her.

I've also had customers pull the race card when they're IDed and have no ID. Once I got a black co-worker to pretend to be the manager to pwn the SC, another time I said to the SC pulling the race card, "I don't care if you're black, white or rainbow coloured, if you want to buy cigarettes, you need to prove that you're old enough to do so."
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

No Friday evening would be complete without some scruffy black person accusing Transit security of being racist. Because hassling other passengers had nothing to do with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X