This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two from Fuel... (long)

Why'd the pump stop at the amount I paid you?

This older lady was a real piece of work... apparently she didn't understand the idea behind pre-paying for gasoline. She hands me two $20s and her discount card, tells me which pump she's on, so I ring it up and give her back the card. She leaves the window and fills her minivan. Her van actually holds the full $40, but instead of hanging up the nozzle and going about her day, she leaves it in and just waits....

...And waits. After glaring at me for a while, she comes back to the window. In a real snotty tone, she demands to know why the pump stopped. Now, I was trying to be polite, but in my utter shock at hearing that question, I may have come across a tad bit rude at first... "Uhmm, because you only gave me that amount when you prepaid. If you wanted more than $40 in gas, you needed to pay more than $40 to begin with..." I started to tell her that I could let her pump more and credit her for the discount afterwards, but she didn't even stick around to listen! She just storms over to her van again and keeps giving me the stink-eye.

I have to get on the loudspeaker (which I hate using b/c I have to yell into the damned thing to make myself audible, making me sound like a jerk whether I intend to or not) and say "Ma'am, you need to hang the nozzle back up so I can turn the pump on for you. Please come up when you're done." She hangs it up. I turn on the pump. She picks it up again... and instead of pumping, hangs it back up!

Can you guess what happens next? Yep, she stomps back up to my window and throws a tantrum like someone a fifth of her age! "This never happens when the other people are here, blah blah blah..." (Maybe she had a thing against men. Most of the other clerks that work up at fuel are women, not that that should matter.) Now that she's at least paying attention to me instead of walking away, I calmly explain that I turned the pump on for her, but by hanging up the nozzle, she shut it back off. I can credit her for her gas discount, but I have to take it off after she pumps again. If this were a cartoon, smoke would be coming out of her ears and I'd hear that high-pitched whistling noise... and I'd be able to drop an anvil on her head without going to prison!

Finally she slams another $20 into the sliding drawer, goes back to the pump, which is on and ready, and finishes filling the minivan. Grand total? .7229 of a gallon, so she gets $18 and some change back, and once I credit for her fuel discount, it's more like nineteen bucks. Now she really lets me have it, claiming that I "ripped her off" and that she'll "never shop at your store again or ever buy gas here!" I try to show her on the receipt that because of her gas savings, she got more back in change, and she yells that when she gets home, she's gonna call the manager and let them know what I'm trying to pull!!

After she leaves, I call down to the store manager and explain what happened... He actually starts laughing at me/my story and tells me not to worry (I wasn't, but .) And after all that hassle, she never made good on her threats, as far as I know.

You're kidding, right?

A younger couple comes up to the window.

"Our card won't work in the pump."

I ask to see the card, since many customers have this problem with worn-out or cracked credit/debit/gift cards. Also, the state I live in has started giving those who qualify for child support payments little debit cards that they can use like cash. They work everywhere except at our pumps - we have to scan them at the register instead.

The guy hands me the card, magnetic strip side up. I turn it over to reveal (Drumroll please) a Wal-Mart gift card!

"Um, that kind of gift card won't work in our pumps. It has to have the credit card company logo to work anywhere that isn't Wally World."

A few weeks ago i saw an old lady argue with the gas station cashier that its was "bad business practices" to make customers pre-pay for gas. Eventually she drove off intent on finding a station that doesn't require pre-payment. Good luck with that...

Comment

I think the only stations around here that let you pump-then-pay are the local Supermarket gas stations (and the wholsesale club. Same diff.). And you have to scan your member card first. So if you drive off, they know who to call.
      Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

We aren't pre-pay where I live right now.

But it was just anouced that all of BC is going to be pre-pay by Febuary. By law!!

I"M SOOO HAPPY!! No more worring about drive-offs no more justification of why we are pre-pay at night. This is how it'll go now

SC: Why are you pre-pay?! It's 2pm!!
        Me: It's the law.

soooo happy! Our boss says that head office said we would defenitly be pre-pay way before feb. possibly by christmas even!

Comment

i swear to god i didnt know there was really such a thing as pump then pay or having someone else pump your gas until this site....
          im like... sheltered... though now i wanna ask my usual gas jockeys (frequant the same pumps alot) how the snowbirds react.

Comment

You don't want to know how the snow birds will react. Or the old people.

It's pump and pay nearly everywhere in Wi. Maybe in bigger cities there is prepay. There is only one pre-pay station around here, and it's the one that used to be owned by the gas Nazi, a crazy Asian man who screamed at customers for every little thing.

We need to switch to prepay. There are too many dishonest people these days.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

We got plenty of pump then pay here. With employees pumpin' for you.

And they wash my windshield.

And the lil tiny one absent-mindedly lifted his shirt in from of my car and I saw his lil tiny abs and his boxers and I was happy.
              Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

awwwwww but i like mocking the snowbirds... i have so little pleasure.... besides they wear shorts and t-shirts in december.
                For the love of god dont rub in the fact that you aren't cold to people who have to wear three layers just to be comfy.... its freaking 69 out!

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                  ... its freaking 69 out!
                  Beach weather! Score! I'll bring the towels and some chips, someone else can get sandwiches and a blanket.
                  Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

no beach weather is 85. 69 is wearing a t shirt, love sleeve over shirt and a hoodie weather.
                    60 is my heavy corderio jacket and anything else is curled up under my fur seoul blanket... and hope the world wont end

Comment

Around here, there aren't many prepay stations. A couple of high-volume stations went to prepay, but the rest are pump-first. Some in the area are prepay at night or at outlying pumps, but otherwise it hasn't caught on here yet.

I actually like prepay when I have cash. That way, I'm guaranteed not to go over if I have a momentary lapse in concentration. On the other hand, one of the prepay places where I go will insist that if you have a credit card, you must pay at the pump; their registers supposedly won't allow prepay with a credit card. I know because I tried it once.
                      "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

60 is my heavy corderio jacket and anything else is curled up under my fur seoul blanket... and hope the world wont end
                        no, 50 is I get my windbreaker jacket on, and kinda think about long sleeved shirts.
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

awwwwww but i like mocking the snowbirds... i have so little pleasure.... besides they wear shorts and t-shirts in december.
                          For the love of god dont rub in the fact that you aren't cold to people who have to wear three layers just to be comfy.... its freaking 69 out!
                          Eesh, I'm a sou Cali girl, and even I can handle 70° weather without anything more than a long sleeved shirt or a jacket. It's when it drops below 60° I start having issues.

And I don't even want to think about the time I slipped on freaking ice on the sidewalk in front of my house!

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

ok let me put this in prospective-
                            You live in cali- where the top temp is what 109?
                            I live in 'zona- where the top temp is 125 for 1/4 of the year, 100 for 1/2 of the year and the rest of the time is 75.... now try to tell me im a baby.
                            Im a snake the cold makes me sleepy and my blood is thined. Hell my standard temp is 97.7 i like the warm!!!
                            so 69 to me is like........ 45 to you

Comment

ok let me put this in prospective-
                              You live in cali- where the top temp is what 109?
                              I live in 'zona- where the top temp is 125 for 1/4 of the year, 100 for 1/2 of the year and the rest of the time is 75.... now try to tell me im a baby.
                              Im a snake the cold makes me sleepy and my blood is thined. Hell my standard temp is 97.7 i like the warm!!!
                              so 69 to me is like........ 45 to you
                              My regular temp is 97.7, too, actually.

But, yeah, your desert is hotter than my desert.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X