This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now here's a new one from a couple of days ago

I often end up running a shift alone for hours on end when I'm working. That means I have to take care of matters like eating, restroom breaks, and other such things between customers when I have a moment. Yes, I do tend to be a little pissy on such nights when customers are virtually nonstop, but I'm pretty good about keeping myself in check unless someone decides to be an assmunch. Then, I won't hesitate to dump my own load of crap on the ones who decide to dump on me. I just don't put up with the ones who decide to be jerks toward me.

So, I had a lull between customers. I decided to take advantage of the break to run to the restroom. It never fails that I always seem to have yet another customer when I get back from the restroom. Most of them understand that I'm working alone, so they don't fuss even if they're in a hurry.

Not this guy, though. He didn't say anything at first, but had the dirtiest of looks on his face. I approached the counter, and waited for him to state his request. He wanted a box of ephedrine, so I went to the cabinet to get it. Ephedrine sales require that we card the customer, fill out this log, and have them sign it. After I got a box of pills, I started hunting for the log book. None of the other clerks leave it in the same spot, so I had to spend a few seconds hunting for the log book.

By the way, if this stuff has been changed so it can't be used to make meth, why do we still have to log everyone who buys it? Shouldn't carding like for beer and cigarettes be sufficient? It's just a waste of time, in my opinion. They're going to find a way to get it, and I resent being stuck in the middle of such matters. I could go on about how the laws should target the ones who try to buy illegally rather than those who sell the age-restricted products, but that's another issue.

In that time, the guy still hasn't dug for his ID, and like I'm going to let it slide without the ID. So, I ask to see his ID. He digs out his wallet, and holds it open to show his ID. I then ask him to take it out of his wallet, and he gives me yet another dirty look as he throws it on the counter. I just scoot it over to where I can see it, type his birthdate into the register, and proceed to put his information in the log book.

"They usually just let me fill it out myself everywhere else."

I ignore him and keep writing the necessary information. He repeats himself. I sigh as I continue writing, "I heard you the first time."

I hear him sighing the eyeroll sigh. He begins pacing like he's doing the pee-pee dance. I ignore it, thinking to myself that it's not going to help it go any faster.

"This is taking forever."

"Yep, it's more pain than it's worth, usually."

"You were in the restroom when I got here."

"Yeah, and you weren't here when I went to the restroom. The store was empty, so it seemed like an ideal time to go."

"You'd think they'd have someone here so people wouldn't have to wait."

"It'd be nice to have some extra help, but good help is hard to find."

That was the extent of the conversation. It just irked me that the underlying tone from this pillhead seemed to be that I should have been there ready to wait on him. However, to my way of thinking, the call of nature is much more important than a stupid box of pills or any other customer's whims.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

That means I have to take care of matters like ... restroom breaks, ... Yes, I do tend to be a little pissy on such nights when customers are virtually nonstop
    "You were in the restroom when I got here."

"Yeah, and you weren't here when I went to the restroom. ..."
    He should be careful before you decide to take that first quote literally...

I hate jerks who think that we aren't entitled to our breaks and biological necessities like everyone else...
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I do very much enjoy your responses to him, as they get the point across about what a stupid jerk he's being, without being out of line.
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

As mentioned previously, I worked in gas stations for a while. Now, two of these stations I worked at third shift. For those of you that don't know, certain stations could give a *insert favorite expetive here* if you work alone or what (thus it becomes VERY easy to rob someone on these shifts).

In any case, one of the stations wasn't that big of a deal...we actually locked up the store for third shift, but I would proceed to a little side window to help people out in between tasks (we'll get to THAT MOUNTAIN in a minute). The other location? NAH. There would be nights where I worked ALONE, but was still expected to...

- Replace the donuts at the start of my shift (even with the predictable "end of second shift/night rush")
        - Close up the liquor coolers at 1:00 AM
        - Get the sandwiches prepared and out by 5:00 AM
        - Get all floors swept and mopped
        - Vacuum rugs
        - Disassemble, clean, and reassemble cappucino machine
        - Restock any empty soda nozzles
        - Refresh coffee

...And probably more that I don't remember, given that it's been a few years. Yes, you read right, ALL THAT and typically alone. In fact, there were MONTHS where I worked alone because I was in a crappy neighborhood where (as is VERY true and previously mentioned) "good help is hard to find."

What really bugged me? I go to poop, I'm in for maybe a minute, suddenly..."HALLOOOO?!?!?!" "I'll be up in just a minute!" Fun stuff. And for the record, yes, I was robbed there, but that's another story for another day. Actually, in retrospect, that story's kinda funny.
        You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, ephedrine/pseudoephedrine have not been changed in any way. THey can still be used to make meth, hence the log as a way to track sales and note anything suspicious.

The real kicker is that the stuff they now sell on the shelves (phelyephine, I believe) without logging not only doesn't do jack for sinus congestion, but can ALSO be used to make meth! It's just supposed to be much more difficult than with pseudoephedrine.
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

I to have the same issue...I am left alone at the store and have to go to the bathroom in between customers...NEVER FAILS noone will even be remotely ready to check out until i hurry to the bathroom. As i am walking back they will be standing there like they have been waiting 15 minutes...The last few times the people have been extremely rude to me acting as if I inconvienced them. I acknowledge them and apologize but they won't even look at me...I really do go as quickly as I can and always make sure I hurry back...so give me a damn break ok..I to am human....one man looked so pissed he kept throwing his money at me....come on!!!!!

Comment

Why is that, that when someone working by themselves & has to go to the bathroom. That is the time, a bus load of customers comes in? At my last job, I was not trusted with the keys to the store, when I was left alone. Now, where I am working at, we are able to actually lock up, if we are alone and have to go.
              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Our store is a 24-hour location. The only time we're allowed to lock the doors is from 3 a.m.-3:30 a.m., so the graveyard shift can restock the coolers, primarily the beer cooler. Any other time, you better have a good excuse for locking the doors, or heads will roll. Yes, I have access to the keys, but it's not allowed. Luckily, there always seems to be one or another of the regulars hanging around to help police the store if I have to be otherwise occupied with something in the back or in the restroom. When I am totally alone in the store, most people seem to be understanding that I do have other matters to address sometimes so that I can't be right there at their beckon call. As for those who don't care, to hell with them.
                The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Working...
                X