This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky receptionist?

So I had a doctor's appointment today. Think of the slogan: Check Up or Check Out.
    So I was there for that among other keep-myself-healthy-and-alive reasons, one of which was getting some new birth control (sorry if that's TMI but it's moderately important).

Well I wasn't expecting to get the birth control today, so I didn't have cash on me. Also, I used to just get a prescription for it then pick it up from the pharmacy (for free - thank you drug plan) on my own, however I've just switched to Depo Provera aka "The Shot", meaning I have to get the doctor to administer it.
    I guess I could do it myself since I can pick it up from the pharmacy, but why in goodness' name would I want to?

Anyway, so I told the receptionist that I needed to pay for my shot, but had no cash. We agreed that it would be alright for me to go up the street to get some cash then come right back.
    So I did.

When I returned a different receptionist was helping me and asked what I needed.
    Me: "I just need to pay the $25 for my Depo shot."
    Her: "Well how am I supposed to know that!? You look completely different with those [sun] glasses on!"

Well I can see the mistake. I do have special sunglasses that warp my face, change my hair colour and alter my clothing.

Note: she didn't say it in a playful tone, but rather a completely snotty one. I couldn't believe it.
    She basically bit my head off and I can't think of why. She was especially snotty through the rest of the transaction (I was also making the doctor I see my official regular doctor, as my family doctor passed away).
    When I asked if I could have a receipt, so I can claim the cost of the shots on my drug plan and get the money back, she huffed, puffed and complained through the whole thing.
    She even said, "*sigh* You want a receipt now, too?"

This office is small. Tiny even. Even if it were a particularly busy day is it really too much to ask for a little politeness? After all I DID just endure a full physical. Give me a break woman. If anyone should be a little testy here it's the one who just had... well I won't go into the gory details but I think you (ladies especially) can see where I'm going with this.

Wow!!! I'm so sorry that you had to deal with her! I think that maybe we go to the same doctor because the receptionist for mine was horrendous today! I was at home (what? a few hours off!??!!) and answered the phone:

Me: Hello?
    Her: Hello, is Ms. [Grandmother's last name] there?
    Me: I'm not too sure, I just walked in the door! I'll go find her for you!
    Her: Hold on, is she, like, an old woman?
    Me: ... (whaaaaat??? Of course now I'm on the defensive) She's not senile, if that's what you mean.
    Her: Oh good, I wasn't looking forward to talking to an old woman.

.... it made me mental. I called back later to inform the doctor because this isn't the first time that she's been horrible to us, but he wasn't there and she wouldn't take a message for me: "I'm on my break, I can't take a message. You can call back later!"

AHH!

Comment

Quoth PetStoreKate View Post
      .... it made me mental. I called back later to inform the doctor because this isn't the first time that she's been horrible to us, but he wasn't there and she wouldn't take a message for me: "I'm on my break, I can't take a message. You can call back later!"

AHH!
      This would be one of the instances where I would ask myself, "What kind of fuckery is this!?"

As a nice little consolation on my part my doctor was none too pleased with how they were making me fill out forms just to switch to being a regular patient, stating, "She shouldn't have to do this, I've been seeing her since she was 17."
      Hopefully she reamed them out for me after I left.
      She's awesome.

Comment

Why do good doctors always seem to have sucky staff?
        Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

Quoth Foxglove8778 View Post
          Why do good doctors always seem to have sucky staff?
          Because sucky customers have to go to to work too, sometimes.

Quoth rerant View Post
          As a nice little consolation on my part my doctor was none too pleased with how they were making me fill out forms just to switch to being a regular patient, stating, "She shouldn't have to do this, I've been seeing her since she was 17."
          See, now *this* type of situation pisses me off, although I obviously am not blaming Rerant personally. When it comes to check in forms, a doctors' staff just can't win, we really can't.

Many major insurance providers require that all new paperwork be filled out every certain number of years. At my current job, a new medical questionnaire/contact/insurance form must be filled out every two years. If you are a patient who comes in every *year* for an exam, you are allowed to review the previous year's form and initial that everything is current, or make any necessary changes *then* initial.

Obviously, with patients all having different required medications and allergies, there are all sorts of openings for something to go wrong, like an allergic reaction or the patient's medications clashing. If that happened, the patient would almost certainly file a lawsuit whether it were justified or not. The insurance companies want to cover their own ass, so they require that the patient fill out the forms and fill them out often. If the patient is a lazy ass who refuses to provide the proper information to begin with, it makes it a bit harder for them to blame us. We actually get audited for this every year, and if we screw up too many times then they can actually drop us as providers, and then we'd be FUCKED.

But, patients don't think of that, they just think we're mean and out to get them when we ask them to fill out the forms.

And when the patients aren't bitching at us, the doctor *is*.

Doctors can be quite brilliant in their exam rooms, but frankly, there are quite a few that have not a *clue* how things work behind the scenes and if a patient is pissing and moaning, the staff gets blamed by default. Nevermind if it's a rule set by THE PEOPLE WHO SIGN OUR CHECKS, insurance companies are stupid, right? Therefore anything they ask us to do *must* be stupid and a complete waste of time!

There have been several patients who bitched loudly while my boss was within earshot, and she actually took the patient's side and told them "Oh, why are you wasting Mr. Lazy's time with that junk? Come on back, I'll get you taken care of..."

Of course, when they come out of the exam room, we refuse to help them further with their frame selections/contact trainings/whatever until it's done anyway. They continue to bitch, but eventually give up.

Grr. We can't win, I guess...

Anyway, I'm going to get off my soapbox now.
          I agree that the receptionists mentioned previously were behaving like douchebags and you're not wrong to be offended by their behavior. Not every person in scrubs is a big meanie out to ruin your day though, so don't let a couple of dummies ruin your view of the rest of us.
          "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

I dunno. Every doctor I've been to has had a nice receptionist. Then again, I've normally only seen guys that went to uni with my Dad, so that's probably why.
            Plus, JM is right - the paperwork is tedious, but necessary. Sure, it may suck for you to fill it in, but they have to file it, label it, quite possibly enter it into the computer as well, so they're making work for themselves too.
            The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post

Well I wasn't expecting to get the birth control today, so I didn't have cash on me.
              You have to pay for Birth Control!!!!

I know the US has a different way with healthcare but what if you're (a hypothetical you're) unemployed, is there some sort of relief(if you'll excuse the pun)?
              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                I know the US has a different way with healthcare but what if you're (a hypothetical you're) unemployed, is there some sort of relief(if you'll excuse the pun)?
                It's relatively easy to get free birth control, as I understand it. I don't think you even need to be on a government health plan.

Comment

You can always get condoms at the health department, for free. *the drums smiley*
                  http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
                  Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

Yep, in a brown bag full of assorted colors and sizes if you're too embarrassed to be specific, lol. My roommates are hilarious, btw... What do you need with half a bag full of unusable condoms?
                    If ignorance is bliss, no wonder I'm so unhappy.

Comment

If you are in an urband or suburban area you may have access to family planning clinics, but many rural areas do not have access to that type of heathcare. So if you are income/insurance challenged, it can really bite.
                      Tamezin

Comment

A friend of mine lives in the US (Buffalo) and she has to pay almost twice as much as I do for her birth control, and she's on the exact same brand as I am.
                        Were I to have a prescription written for me to get it at the drugstore rather than my doctor's office it would be at least $40.

When I was on the pill (and using my mother's drug plan) they were free when I got them from the drugstore, since the dispensing fee was covered as were the pills themselves.

But keep in mind this is the price before claiming it to my drug plan from work. Once I claim it the money is reimbursed to me.

And to JuniorMintz:
                        It wasn't me who was bothered by the forms (although I didn't expect to have to fill them out) but rather it was my doctor. Though to be completely honest she seemed to be aggravated with the receptionists as a whole more so than the process, so something tells me they're constantly making mistakes and/or treating her patients poorly.
                        Last edited by rerant; 10-23-2007, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Quoth tangrid View Post
                          What do you need with half a bag full of unusable condoms?
                          Why, lots of novelty balloons, thats what!
                          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

what i hate it paying for my birthcontrol, buit if i didnt have insurence i could live without it. cause i dont need because i like boys i need it for hormones and i can handle being alittle uncomfortable and not hormonal

Comment

If your insurance doesn't cover birth control, it's something to take up with your employer (assuming you are covered by your employer). They are the ones who decide what level of coverage to offer and what categories to exclude, and if enough women ask for it they can add it to the options. (Not that most companies are going to publicize that since it adds to the cost for everyone.) It's sad insurance covers drugs for men to have sex but not for women to not get pregnant from the men being able to have sex.
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X