Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may or may not work for the same company as you. Our manager got fired because the assistant was robbed at gunpoint and they blamed him because the back door lock was broken, though he had sent in multiple notes asking them to come fix it. However, if it is the same place, they've moved up to a ten strike rule rather than three (at least in my area), and it's a stupid thing to fire you over. At least you have a back up, though.

I like the job, but sometimes the company...geez.
    Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post
      Word from head office is that "Customers never shoplift, it must be staff"
      What color is the sky in their world??
      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I would have suggested taking the PS3 with you into the back. Let the customer complain that you don't trust him if he wants.
        MMO Addicts group

Comment

If you work for my previous employer, rhymes with lameslop, then I'd suggest looking for job alternatives immediately.

I was fired for failing a phone call audit by corporate, and it would have happened to anyone, including the two other people in other stores who got fired aqnd worked there for 2-3 years. One mistake, fired. Never work for a company with such high turnover rates. There's better out there.

Just make sure in this case, that it was noted that you had nothing to do with the actual theft, and that it was ERROR, and will not reflect negatively on you.

Comment

Quoth DarthRetard View Post
            If you work for my previous employer, rhymes with lameslop, then I'd suggest looking for job alternatives immediately.

I was fired for failing a phone call audit by corporate, and it would have happened to anyone, including the two other people in other stores who got fired aqnd worked there for 2-3 years. One mistake, fired. Never work for a company with such high turnover rates. There's better out there.

Just make sure in this case, that it was noted that you had nothing to do with the actual theft, and that it was ERROR, and will not reflect negatively on you.
            Isn't that... illegal? You know... unfair dismissal...?
            MMO Addicts group

Comment

Did you even have a way of locking it up? did you even get training on such a matter? if the answers are no, then you do not deserve to be fired.

A stern warning is the worst you should get but corporate offices have their strange little worlds complete with a twisted set of rules. So who knows.
              "Reverse racism" lol

Comment

The point of warnings is to make sure the act is not repeated, and to let the employee know not to do it again. How likely is it this will happen again? 0%? A warning I could see. A final termanation warning is to much. If they were really worried about theft, why were you alone?
                Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
                The following is subject to change:
                If Your Going Through Hell,
                Keep Going...

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                  What color is the sky in their world??
                  Unicorn I think
                  Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

I don't work for the 'stop. I'm with a different game retailer (at the moment, at least). I had some friends work for GS and know better than that.

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    If putting the PS3 on the floor isn't secure enough, I'd suggest taking it to the backroom with you while you wrap the game. Distracting employees is a very common ploy used by thieves to run off with merchandise.
                    This is exactly what we are supposed to do now, after my ... incident. Before, the proper thing to do was to put it on the floor behind the counter. I wish we coul do the pull tags, but that's just never going to happen.

Quoth Miffed View Post
                    Did you even have a way of locking it up? did you even get training on such a matter? if the answers are no, then you do not deserve to be fired.
                    I don't have a way to lock it up, no. Formal training? Not that I know off. I spent some time after it happened looking through the eomployee handbook and there isn't anything in there about removing merchandise from the counter to the floor or to the back counter. There is, however, common sense in this situation which says not to leave it where I did. Too bad mine failed.

Comment

I hate to be the little ray of gloom on this, but...

Years ago, I used to work for a lottery company, in one of their mall kiosks. This was a split mall, with half being on one side of the street, half on the other. The other kiosk got two people on Sunday, mine (The larger one) only got one. Why? They whined better than me. I repeatedly said I wasn't comfortable working alone with the kind of Sunday rushes we got, but eventually I was just told to deal with it.

Anyway, we were constantly graded on the quality of our displays. We had a HUGE display case, and it needed to be full AT ALL TIMES. I got chewed out several times for a display that had been picked clean by customers, and told I had to learn to refill it on the fly, even in a rush. This meant during the busy times I was constantly going into the safe for more scratch n' wins.

At one point, I had out several packages of 300 tickets, when a bunch of customers appeared. I left the tickets against the back wall of the kiosk, where it butted up against the staircase and I thought it was safe.

Nope. There was enough of a gap under the staircase and above the wall, so that someone reached through and grabbed the topmost package. I didn't even notice until I cashed out, and was exactly $300 short.

I informed my manager, I asked what I should do. I explained the situation. I identified exactly which set of tickets had been stolen. I offered to repay the tickets from my own pocket because it was my error. I had no written warnings, was always at work on time, and this was my first discrepancy that wasn't a calculation error.

I was canned the next day, over the phone by the DM, who said he didn't believe they had been taken by someone else, and that I had stole them, and that he didn't want to see me around his kiosk ever again.

This was my first real job, that wasn't a paper route. It took me a while to get over that.
                      Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post
                        Isn't that... illegal? You know... unfair dismissal...?
                        If you're in a right-to-work state, you don't get to claim "unfair dismissal". You can be fired for any non-discriminatory reason.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                        X