X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAA! I have bedbugs! :mad:

Oh GOD this sucks.
    I've been in this building since Nov 2011. Moved in, just fine, all dandy. A few shots of fleas, but that's fixable. Nuke and treat room, all good. Still itch like mofo, and have to clean more than average. Ok, but it works.

So, go forward to November 2012. 2 new people move in. I am starting to have itchy bites at my ankles, and on my shoulder/arms. WTF. These ITCH. They look like flea bites, but up top of me? And they're bigger? (flea bites are ususally size of pencil erasers, these were dime sized). I started doing research online and found that "It might be bed bugs, but the only way to truly know is to catch a bug". Fuck. I'm seeing bug turds, but what is it?
    It was bad enough on my body I went to a doc and was given script steroid cream to get the hives on my shoulder diminished. My shoulder had some, my legs had bites, my arms. It wasn't a one day shot, either, it was one day I get some, next day it's quiet, third day it's a few more bites.
    I notified the management about this, and they said it'll be about a week before we can get bug inspectors there. Pfeh. So I said fuck this, and got a mattress bug sealer thing, and one for the box springs.
    Ok, he showed up and looked around and said, "Nope, can't find any" Mind you, I was still being bitten. I was doing extensive vacuuming, washing my clothes, keeping off the floor, trying to seal things..making some headway but not much.
    Bug guy shows up again a week later, says I'm not seeing them, you have that mattress sealed etc. I said, uh, look at these bites! He tells me that ok, you wash all the clothes @ high temps, and seal them in 3mm plastic bags. I look at him, like, ok. Then he tells me not just the clothes in the dresser, EVERYTHING. All my stuff on my hangers, the boxes that other clothes are in, all the clothes in bags I've got, EVERY GOD DAMN PIECE. Or steam clean them. "If you have them".

Neighbor guy who I think brought them in hasn't said anything yet. I caught 2 bugs, dated it, and sent pics to the manager. NOW they believe me, and I've been told it'll probably be the 20th before the people come by to exterminate. Joy.
    I caught a full grown fucker on my canvas bag today. And I've had one or 2 new bites, but tiny ones. Some progress.

I'm frustrated, a bit angry, and stressed.
    First: It's been too damn long. And there really isn't any home cure you can do for these things. Best is to seal what you think is infected and clean like a mofo. But not a chemical thing for homes. I want these fuckers GONE.
    How the hell am I going to get my clothes done? I think steam cleaning them as a huge batch would work (classic science don't leave anything to chance)?
    Second: How the hell can I afford to get those clothes cleaned (or all my stuff for that matter) AND afford those stupid bags? If I toss the clothing, uh, I lose way too much, and the ones I keep might be infected. (think also dress clothes).
    Oh and what about my SHOES??? Seal them for a year? (my dress shoes).
    Third: the money stress. Afford all this? Uh no.

The reason I'm so confident that Neighbor guy brought them is that he's a new variable in the equation, AND I saw in his room one night: "Spray that kills Bed Bugs". I had to tell the manager that. So, let's say it's his fault. Bugs like to travel on clothing, and stay near a bed. I didn't get them from his room, most likely from hall carpet or the bath between us. It's possible the whole building is now infected, but I'm Patient Zero.
    God dammit.
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Where do you live? One of the reasons people used to lay their mattresses/bedding and clothing in the sun is it seems to help kill bedbugs, so perhaps taking all of your clothing out one bag at a time and hanging them in the sun for a couple days and repacking them after laundering them would help?

And there are bedbug sprays you can use on your own belongings. Reportedly, the classic camphor based mothballs added to the sealed bags of fabric items also will gas the little beasties. Of course then you have to air everything out for weeks afterwards, and launder stuff.

Looks like there are going to be laundering and chemicals involved, no matter what you do.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Accounting - I was reading that sunshine works - something around 180*, one site said put clothes in a black garbage bag in a car on a hot sunny day. Nukes them pretty good.

I live in Seattle, and just don't have the sunshine. I kind of want a steam wand thingy, to get in places that the chemicals may not get to.
      It's just unfair. [/pout]
      One concern I do have is that if Neighbor Guy has them, and when he's treated - will he be clean enough afterwards? Will his belongings be clean and will his room be clean? (He's pretty much fresh off the streets) If the buggers aren't killed, it's almost a constant battle. Since there are 6 steps in the life chain of bed bugs you have to catch it a few times. Fleas have only three, at least.

Comment

I have seen on Billy the exterminator that they had used a steam machine to kill those buggers besides the regular heat treatment.

If you can get a clothes steamer you can use that. It gets hot enough to kill them.

Bedbugs can only withstand a certain temperature.
        "Beam me up Scotty there is no intelligent life down here."

Comment

Bedbugs will set up shop in any furniture, curtains, or clothes where there are places to get down in. They can also travel between apartments when they feel the need to spread out.

Heat and chemical treatments are the way to get rid of them with any reliability. And they'll probably need a couple of treatments to do the deed, assuming everyone will do what they should to clean they're clothes and possesions.

The problems my place of work runs into is getting people to do their part of the cleaning. One lazy old fart recontaminates the whole place, eventually. All the treatments start again.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

A friend of mine had them over the summer. My sister had them in one of her apartments. They are a pain to get rid of, especially somewhere like an apartment building when not everyone does their part.

The good news on your clothes and shoes: you don't necessarily have to wash them. It's not the water that kills the little buggers; it's the heat. The stuff that's hanging in your closet, just throw in the dryer on its hottest setting for at least 20 minutes. Then bag it up until the exterminator gives the all clear.
            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Please make sure you are communicating with the landlord or building management in writing so that you have a paper trail for this issue. If the landlord keeps putting off dealing with the problem you may need to contact your local organization that works with apartment tenants. One of my friends had a major infestation in her apartment. She ended up calling the city inspector and was able to break her lease because the landlord refused to do anything to fix the issue. In her case the entire building was infested. I am glad you are able to get treatment for yourself.

Comment

Hope you can get the situation sorted out quickly. Fleas are bad enough. I've dealt with a couple of flea infestations ... never bedbugs ... well, not yet. In a couple of years I'll be going back into apartment living and am just crossing my fingers that I don't move into a place that has, or develops, a bedbug problem. Of course, there's nothing to stop them coming into mom's house on my clothes or shoes either. Hermit-hood is starting to sound like a really good idea ...

Comment

Quoth Der Cute View Post
                  One concern I do have is that if Neighbor Guy has them, and when he's treated - will he be clean enough afterwards? Will his belongings be clean and will his room be clean? (He's pretty much fresh off the streets) If the buggers aren't killed, it's almost a constant battle. Since there are 6 steps in the life chain of bed bugs you have to catch it a few times. Fleas have only three, at least.
                  Diatomaceous Earth

You can create a barrier to prevent them from entering, it's actually food grade, and 100% harmless to anything that isn't a bug....

Some more info
                  Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 12-12-2012, 12:35 AM.
                  Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

ALL of my correspondence has been via email. I've caught a baby, and 2 full grown ones, squished in a bag and dated - got proof.
                    I was told verbally today (from an upper level mgr) that it will be the 20th Dec. My plan is to nuke things in the dryer and tie them up in thick garbage bags. Which is $ out of my pocket. IMO that's BS. I'd love to have access to a steam cleaner (Rug Doctor?) but it's $ out of my pocket. Many things in my closet (on hangers) aren't really ok to put in a dryer. Usually those things I wash and hang to dry.

Then, of course, I've got boxes (cardboard) in my closet. I don't think there's any clothing on the floor, but since cardboard boxes are rough surfaces, they're climbable. AAaargh! Am I going to have to spend MORE money on plastic containers?

Where the fuck is this cash coming from? (Ivory kitty is already covered with food and cat sand, she's not an expense right now). Rargh! I've sold some of the jam I made, I'm gonna try to sell some of my fudge.

The guy next door. I've chatted to him, small talk shit. I found out he has no laundry detergent. No detergent. No washy clothy. Keep wearing the same exact things, no washy. He's perfect for a carrier and to re-infect. He's also got a spray bottle in his room saying "Kills Bed Bugs" (yeah I'm nosy)

Is Universe Authority Unit trying to teach me patience and acceptance?

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                      Diatomaceous Earth

You can create a barrier to prevent them from entering, it's actually food grade, and 100% harmless to anything that isn't a bug....]
                      I tell you, this stuff is worth its weight in GOLD! The dog and rabbits eat it and we dust them with it; I've even dusted myself when camping. I've heard of strong scents that bugs don't like; maybe try essential oils; for fleas and ticks it seems to be euculeptus and mint, or something citric. maybe something like that for bed bugs.
                      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Der Cute View Post
                        Is Universe Authority Unit trying to teach me patience and acceptance?
                        Or did it just post a sign in bedbugese: "Good Eats Here!"?
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Well, I now have a specific date the pest people are coming over. The 20th. Rules are that nothing (no linens etc) on bed, more than 50% floor space open, closet open and cleaned out.

I'm concerned - because my closet is STUFFED top to bottom; this is all my CD's, movies, dishes and stuff. Some seasonal clothing too. And it's all cardboard boxes . This kind of means I need to get plastic containers (nuke items, put in to container). Pisses me off; and apt managers don't supply more than plastic trashbags to put your stuff into.
                          Was chuckling to myself earlier - this kind of means playing lava with your stuff on the floor - nothing on the floor! It's lava!

I've been vacuuming extensively - the floor, the trim/cracks, under the bed and under dresser, behind dresser, all over the floor. I'm still getting bug turds, but not having many bites. (joy). Pest control should be taking care a lot of this, but I should get some of my own DE. I'm also trying to "sanitize" or nuke/cook stuff. Straight from dirty into wash machine, and/or cook what's out in open (bed spread). Once it's determined clean- back into it's space OR a sealed bag.

Does anyone know if the vacuum seal bags work? The kind where you put stuff in them and suck the air out? (the nuked stuff would be in them)

I need a hug. This fucking sucks.

Comment

Quoth Der Cute View Post
                            Does anyone know if the vacuum seal bags work? The kind where you put stuff in them and suck the air out? (the nuked stuff would be in them)
                            The Space Bags work great! I use them to store comforters when I'm not using them. Also, if you're able to get yourself a prescription for Ivermectin (yup, same stuff as in dog heartworm prevention) that'll kill the bugs.

Comment

Working...
                            X