Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have several customers at our bank who only have savings accounts. They just come in and buy money orders when they need to pay bills. Plus the money orders from the bank tend to be much more secure than postal money orders that have the tendency to be easily forged. Unfortunately, due to federal law, we can't sell money orders or cashier's checks to non-customers of the bank nor can we cash money orders or cashiers checks for non-customers unless they came from our bank.

And believe it or not, some people actually can't qualify for a checking account! I guess the best way to describe it is that you go through something similar to a credit check to see if you have had checking accounts in the past and if any of them have been closed out due to account abuse or write offs. If there are bad remarks about any of past accounts at other banks we won't open one at our bank. We also have accounts that aren't allowed ATM cards or bounced check protection because they're irresponsible with their accounts.

And lastly, this one depends totally on the bank. We have a list of local businesses that we will cash checks for with no fee regardless of the bank it is drawn off of. These businesses are the reputable ones that don't pass bad checks. We do get the people who want to cash checks from some unheard of businesses and don't have accounts with us, but unfortunately we have to turn them away since we can't take the risk of the check being bad. Those people we'll usually refer to the local Wal-Mart.
    Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

I take it Math was not his best subject in school.
      "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
      ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Oh. My. God.

Someone like that doesn't need a checking account!

Either the guy's dumb as rocks or he's mentally disabled/has a learning disability. I'm hoping it's the latter, but it's most likely the former..
        My Myspace, add me!

Comment

I've had a savings account since I was 8. I opened my first checking account when I went to college. Now I take a certain amount of cash from the ATM each week, and use my Discover card for most other things (cash back bonus, baby!) and then I write a check to pay the bill at the end of the month.

My ex did not have a checking account when we were together (he moved out west several years ago and never opened new accounts when he moved back). He just opened one again earlier this year. He cashed his paycheck at one of those check-cashing places and paid his bills with money orders. Which is stupid cuz checking accounts are a lot cheaper. I kept telling him to set one up with direct deposit, cuz that way whatever is left over after you pay all the bills is already in the bank! He waited until a year after we broke up to finally listen to me, I guess.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Yeesh, that broke my brain.

<----I miss this smiley
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
              About the question of account negativity, I can certain understand your point. Nothing frustrates me more than trying to explain what seems like common sense to me to a clueless nitwit. I try to boil things down to the simplest possible terms when I have to explain anything to anyone, and when someone still doesn't get a clue it just drives me crazy. What part of DUH! do you not understand?
              My thoughts exactly. I also had a dude he the night who wanted to put in an application for a mortgage. Most ppl don't have all their information ready so I let them know what they are going to need ahead of time. I told the guy that we don't have the capability of saving mortage applications in our system so I didn't want him to get halfway through and not have something, then have to start over later- then I advised him of everything that he'd need. After that he said that he had everything he needed and accused me of being lazy and trying to "avoid" his application... I ignore his nasty remarks and began his application, which we got halfway through with and he said "uh, I don't have any of this information... can we save this and I'll call back later?"
              "as I stated previously sir, we cannot save mortgage applications.. if you don't have the information, you will have to start over later." To which he replied "YEAH RIGHT! I find that very hard to believe!"

I guess he'll believe it when he calls back and theres no application....
              "I've come to realize that ever since I started working, everyday is a little bit worse then the day before...so that means every day is the worst day of my life..."
              - Office Space

Comment

Okay........

Why would he assume that you'd be able to save the information he provided for an incomplete mortgage application? Yeah, *sigh* I already know -- that's just SC logic (.....quite an oxymoron, by the way......) for you. Why should your institution keep that information on file for just in case at some indeterminate time down the road? I know I'm trying to apply common sense where it cannot possibly exist. It's like trying to make matter and antimatter coexist peacefully within the same space.
                The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                  That's RIGHT sir! Because 32.23 is a BIGGER number than 20! Do you see how that works?
                  ^^^^^^^^^ iwas going to say that!!! lMAO

OMg i know!! and im one of them ppl who gave up on banks i tried the savings thing till they charged me 2 bucks a months!
                  so that didnt work! then i did the check thing and got all messed up!
                  MOney orders Rock! and The store here cashes pyroll and goverment checks for a 1dollar fee
                  or i go to the bank It came from IF i get a check from someone! if its out of state i just give it to mom or who ever and they deposit it in their account!

Comment

Working...
                  X