This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creative theft

An old coworker told me about this one.... someone got caught trying to steal a CD. They used a slightly different method I guess.

They bought the CD, left... and came back later trying to return it. The case was unopened, so the return was accepted and the CD was put back on the shelf. The problem? The anti-theft was already deactivated, so the guy came back later and tried walking out with the cd, knowing it wouldn't set off the alarms.

O_o
    I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
    less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Quoth ahanix1989 View Post
    The anti-theft was already deactivated, so the guy came back later and tried walking out with the cd, knowing it wouldn't set off the alarms.
    Points for the concept, but epic fail in the execution. Kudos to the employees for spotting it.
    A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

You mean one he bought it and the thingy was deactivated and then returned, you can't activate the theft-thingy?

Comment

Quoth vloglady View Post
        You mean one he bought it and the thingy was deactivated and then returned, you can't activate the theft-thingy?
        I know of no way to re-magnetize them.

The CD probably had one of those stickers inside with the barcode. When it is scanned, the magnet inside is deactivated. To "re-activate" it you would have to place a new anti-theft sticker on it.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Clearly, I'm way too lazy to make a good thief. This is a lot of hassle for less than 20 bucks.

If thieves would work half as hard at honest work as they did on being crooks, they'd own the world.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            I do. If it is sensormatic or an equivilent brand simply get a magnet, swipe it in one direction a couple of times and it is re-energized, simple.
            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Idiot thieves.

We had a guy take cereal out of the box, so he could fill it up with DVDs. Now he was admittedly smart enough to go through the line of one of our hearing-impaired cashiers, who wouldn't hear the box bleeping as it set off the "need to deactivate" pad.

Yet he wasn't so smart as to realize the greeter might question why his cheerios were setting off the exit alarm. So ballsy.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                Libraries have devices to "Magnetize" the books that were borrowed so they don't walk off when they come back in.

Comment

In the music store I worked in we had strips of the chips. We had to check every piece of new media to make sure it was tagged and anything returned had to be retagged. The adhesive on those strips would pull skin off.
                  Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

i like the Switch the Item theif!

comes back with the Broken item from home and tries to return it! not relizing the COdes are on the box as well as the Item itself!
                    like Tv's dvd player ect.

then we got the ladies returning a computer!!! well when the guy from electronics came to check it he open it up saw it was a DELL!!! he gets LP and Managment ( ladies are deep red)

see Dell has their own Place of business WE dont carry Dell!
                    and the box IS our box!!! see what they did?

well took an hour and a cop to be rid them !

they played it out to the fullest!
                    My god!!!

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                      I do. If it is sensormatic or an equivilent brand simply get a magnet, swipe it in one direction a couple of times and it is re-energized, simple.
                      Oh. We just throw the stickers out if we physically remove them. And I've never heard of us taking the time to re-magnetize them.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                        Clearly, I'm way too lazy to make a good thief. This is a lot of hassle for less than 20 bucks.

If thieves would work half as hard at honest work as they did on being crooks, they'd own the world.
                        Some of them do, they are called Politicians

Comment

I found out the rest.
                          He >tried< to just walk off with it, but didn't notice they added a new anti-theft sticker to the back of the case. I guess that would be how they caught him. Had he simply walked off, she would've never known and would've never told me.
                          I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
                          less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

Quoth vloglady View Post
                            Never mind that. Did this guy watch the store employee actually put it back on the shelf and therefore know the exact location of where this CD? He must have followed him there and spied from a few feet away to try pulling off something like this. Was he prosecuted or threatened with it for the attempted theft?

Comment

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Even when I was a thief (junior high school, early 80's), I knew never to even try to steal anything from the music store. Even back then, they had the highest security of any store. I stole from every place ELSE and used what little money I had to BUY my music!

And yes, for those who are wondering, my thieving days ended before I even left junior high. I was smart enough and good enough as a thief to know that I wasn't smart enough or good enough to never get caught.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X