X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of my many jobs

*Not sure if this is posted in the right section, please move as necessary*

Aside from being a manager of a game store, I also own a small social media company, non profit society, and a dog walking company. This story has to do with my SM company. A few years ago we used Wordpress and built a little site to show some of our videos and photos to the world. We checked online and no one anywhere close to where we were had a name anything close to ours so we put up the website and had moderate success. Of course, success attracts A**holes like honey attracts flies.

2 months after we put up the site, we get a very nasty email from a "consulting company" who have a company name that is almost identical to ours. Mine was ___Media, theirs was ___Creative Strategies. They wanted us to take down our website immediately and hand over all rights to the name that we had. My partner and I immediately went to a person in the "big news service" for advice and they told us to 1. Copyright our name right away. 2. Incorporate. and 3. Get a lawyer immediately. Hundreds of $ later and our poor company was Inc. and Copyrighted as well as being broke, but still the harassing letters kept coming. We go back to "news person" who recommended a lawyer to us. This lawyer wrote a nasty letter back at CS and basically told them to go F*ck themselves. The best part is, the Lawyer did this all Pro Bono so we did not pay a cent. Happily, nasty company backs off and we have not heard from them since.

This little story is only a tip of the iceberg of what happened, that is just a brief debrief of it. We suspect that the nasty company might have been a scam but we never found out.
    "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

You could also have told [NastyCo] that "Sure, we'll hand over all rights to our site and name. That'll cost you $[prohibitively exorbitant amount of money]."
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
      You could also have told [NastyCo] that "Sure, we'll hand over all rights to our site and name. That'll cost you $[prohibitively exorbitant amount of money]."
      Then they'll take him to court and win because Incorporated companies get priority in the courts, regardless of who owns the Domain Name originally.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
        That's actually a bad idea, since this gives the appearance that you just registered the name to extort money from them.

Comment

Working...
        X