This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A reason to keep non IT out of the server room

On another message board I frequent someone shared the story of what happened today at work. The CFO fried ALL the servers, by pressing random buttons on the servers "looking for a CD-ROM."

Needless to say no work was being done by most the company.

I literally cringed reading that... oi.
    A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

And this is why executives should not be given access to the server room.

I've said it before. The BOFH is not evil, he's proactive.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

ow ow ow, yeah our CFO, and CEO both have full access cards, when our new security manager signed on he tried to revoke it: was met with the usual 'do you know whom we are?" spiel...
        Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
        pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

I go up to Kenny (our server, yes there's a reason it's called that) hold out my hands and say, "Mm, warm" then go back to my office.
          Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
            I go up to Kenny (our server, yes there's a reason it's called that)
            Little obvious of a name choice there.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
              I go up to Kenny (our server, yes there's a reason it's called that) hold out my hands and say, "Mm, warm" then go back to my office.
              You bastards! You killed Kenny!

Comment

In the old days (not that long ago actually) we had a server room with a halon dump inside.

(Hands up who remembers halon dumps)

For those who don't know what a halon dump is - people have died when the halon (hydrocarbon) reacts with all the oxygen in the air (thus putting out the fire) and there is nothing left to breathe in the room. When the halon dump goes off you run for the door.

After dinner one night I wanted to go back to the server room to check on a job. I had dinner with one of the CFOs of this very large company. He was smoking a very large smokey cigar.

I am 6'3" and was about twice as wide as this man - something that saved his life that night.

He tried to follow me into the server room with his cigar. I stopped in the doorway and turned to him and said,

ME: "You aren't coming in here"

CFO: "You know who I am - I can go anywhere I want in this company"

ME: (Not moving despite him getting in my face) "You aren't coming in with that cigar unless you want to die. You will set off the halon dump."

CFO: (Moving very fast back to the car) "Oops sorry"

Me: (Hiding a grin - it helps to be big and self-confidant.)

Comment

Quoth wraiths_crono View Post
                  ow ow ow, yeah our CFO, and CEO both have full access cards, when our new security manager signed on he tried to revoke it: was met with the usual 'do you know whom we are?" spiel...
                  you gotta put it in their language. 'Well, if you WANT to be known more as peons, than executives, of course we won't cancel the access cards. Actually that's a great idea. that way if something happens where access is needed immediately, such as by emergency personnel and no IT people are available, like in the middle of the night, they can have you come down and open the room. It's really wonderful you are willing to do that. You're the only ones at your level that have ever WANTED that access, in my experience."

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                    you gotta put it in their language. 'Well, if you WANT to be known more as peons, than executives, of course we won't cancel the access cards. Actually that's a great idea. that way if something happens where access is needed immediately, such as by emergency personnel and no IT people are available, like in the middle of the night, they can have you come down and open the room. It's really wonderful you are willing to do that. You're the only ones at your level that have ever WANTED that access, in my experience."
                    OOHhhhhh! I LIKE this approach.
                    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Working...
                    X