This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Again With This?

At The Client ITSD, when resetting network passwords, the policy is, if they need their Network A password reset, provide it to them over the phone. (Unless they're calling on the outside lines, in which case, arrange a more secure method of calling.) If they need their password reset for ANY other network or system, the policy is to send them an encrypted email on Network A with the temporary password.

Sometimes, the user will get an error after entering the temp password, and they are unable to proceed. With ALL of these errors, the best course of action is to find another terminal for the network in question and try it there. They can then reset their password, log back out, and return to their regular terminal and go on with their lives.

I noticed that I tended to get response emails or calls from the users I had helped, reporting these errors, and so in the emails containing the temp. password, I made sure to include a notice on the lines of:

****NOTICE*** If you get a message stating "[Error]" or "[Error]," go to another [Network] workstation and log in using the temporary password. You will then be able to reset your password. After doing so, you may then log out and return to your regular workstation and log in normally.

I stay on the line long enough to be sure that the users can see the contents of the email (for other reasons I won't get into here), and then let them go.

[/End BG]

Today, however, I got an email back from Luser. The first email basically said "Hey, I can see the contents, but my account is locked." I'd checked it before resetting his password, and it hadn't been locked, but a quick check revealed that yes, it had gotten locked since then. No problem. Unlock it, fire back an email to him.

Then I get another email. "Hey, I'm getting this message saying [Error], what do I do?"

Emailed him back: "As I said in the original email I sent you..." and copy-pasta'd the Notice part.

I haven't heard back from him, so I think he got the message.

The sad part? This isn't the first time I've gotten these kinds of emails.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Reading is a lost art.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
    X