This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're not open yet

My first job was at a movie theater. The theater had a fairly genius system too. Since the lobby had a food stand on either side, on weekdays one side would open in the morning and at five, they would start getting the other side ready to open at six for the night shift. We even had these very nice plastic signs to put up saying "THIS SIDE IS CLOSED UNTIL SIX" to put up until we're ready to open.

One day, I was the only person who'd be working on my side for the night shift. I had my sign up nice and obvious as I counted stock and made popcorn.
    At half an hour till six, a woman came up.

Me: Sorry ma'am, this side isn't open yet. If you go to the other side, they'll be happy to help you.
    SC: There's a line on that side.
    Me: The lines move fast in this place.
    SC: That's fine, I'd rather wait for you to open.

Naturally, since one person was standing at my counter, a few other people ignored the closed sign and lined up behind the woman. After about ten or fifteen minutes, the little line got annoyed watching me get ready to open.

SC: Hey you little bitch, I thought you said the lines move fast here! I've been waiting forever.
    Me: That's because this side isn't open yet.

However, since the other side saw I had a line, they assumed I'd opened early so they closed early. I ended up having to open my side early and scrambled to meet the popcorn demands of the people since I hadn't been allowed to make enough to service the line.
    Currently, I refuse to work with food of any kind ever again. I hated the job, but it gave me plenty of stories to tell.

SHE came 30 minutes early and she is calling you a little bitch? She is the NASTY bitch! I hate people!

Comment

SHE came 30 minutes early and she is calling you a little bitch? She is the NASTY bitch! I hate people!
      Testify! You warned her, and she ignored you! What a stupid slag.
      "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

Quoth EvilAuthor View Post

SC: Hey you little bitch, I thought you said the lines move fast here! I've been waiting forever.
        Me: That's because this side isn't open yet.
        "And if you paid any attention to me or the sign *lift sign and wave it around like you're flagging down an airplane on a deserted island* that says this side IS NOT OPEN UNTIL 6 you would have already gotten your food and been out of my hair, bitch!"

Comment

My first job was at a movie theater and we had a similiar set up. We had two concession stands. We would set that side up when he expected a heavier than usual crowd or during the weekends. Anyway, I had to set that side up several times, but management wouldn't allow any signs. Now it was quite obvious that the other side was not opened since the lights were turned off (turned off enough so we could see what we were doing). In a SC's mind though, that means we must be open.

I worked at another movie theater and it had just one concession stand in the middle of the lobby. There were four registers, and the area was shaped like a rectangle. Anyway, only one register was opened during the school year matinee shows. The SC loved to stand at a register that was not opened. Before I knew it, they formed two or three lines at every register. Again we couldn't put up signs. And asking people to form one line would get you a F--- u or they would totally ignore me.
          Last edited by hotelnpa; 09-10-2007, 12:42 AM.

Comment

SC's don't believe that signs or policy apply to them. They live by the notion that "the customer is always right." To them this means that you need to do what ever they want you to, no matter how dumb it wrong it may be. See this post for my point:
            http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=16558

Comment

Quoth EvilAuthor View Post
              However, since the other side saw I had a line, they assumed I'd opened early so they closed early.
              I would have raised holy hell with management if that had happened to me. I cannot stand people who look for excuses to close early when they are paid to stay open to a specified time - and I have worked with several lazy bums who tried those stunts on a regular basis.
              "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
              .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                I would have raised holy hell with management if that had happened to me. I cannot stand people who look for excuses to close early when they are paid to stay open to a specified time - and I have worked with several lazy bums who tried those stunts on a regular basis.
                There's a new pizza place near me that's supposedly open until 9 PM (they are a small shop, not part of a major chain) on Mondays. Last week I went by at about 8:42 PM. Doors were locked, lights were off. Now I wasn't on my way to get a pizza but I'm sure if I had been I would've been mighty pissed to find them closed.

I remember one day opening the games store on Sunday when I had an SC show up. We opened at 12, prior to opening, the two giant metal shutters over our main windows remain closed completely, the shutter over the door is nudged up to allow me entry into the building.

So there I am, it's 11:45 and I'm counting out my till and I hear BANG BANG BANG! I look up to see a customer at the door who tries to open it, fails and then holds up his hand and points furiously at his wrist. I yell "we're open at 12!". He gave me a sort of "screw you buddy" look and left. Thank goodness, I don't think I'd have wanted someone like him at a customer anyway.

And for the record our hours are posted very clearly near the door, but we all know SCs can't read.

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                  For the benifit of my formal coworkers, it's not that they were leaving early or even not finishing their work. They turned off their machines and took their money upstairs for counting and came down to clean their side afterwards. The staff leader on duty even sent one of them to help me get everyone's orders until my line died down.

But of course SCs can read! They just have selective skills. Like they can read your name tag so they can say your name over and over, but they lose all skills at reading signs and times writen on doors.

Comment

Ah yes, that fine group of creatures known as the American movie going public have exhibited their brilliance to me on many occasions.
                    We usually open the doors at 12 noon since our first films usually start around 12:45 or so. So, I'm ambling about, gettin' my opening usher tasks out of the way and I happen to swing by the concession stand. I see a few people hanging around the door and I check the time. It's about 12:10.
                    This one rather large, geeky looking male starts pulling on the doors, because as you know, if you pull on a locked door enough times it'll magicaly open and let you in. Anyway, Mr. Geekinstein keeps pulling on the door and one of the girls at concession's like "go over & see what he wants, he's been trying the doors for 15 minutes."
                    Well, I figure it's way to early into the shift that hasn't even really started yet to deal with a dose of stupid, so I go over to the door, unlock it, lean out and say "yes? can I help you?"
                    "Can we buy tickets?" SC responds.
                    "Uh, nooooo. We're not open."
                    "Well how're we supposed to know if you're open, you ain't got no times up."
                    "Well," I say, " when the doors are locked, we're not open, when the doors are unlocked then we're open. Duh. We don't post times because they can vary week to week by around 20 minutes or so. We open about 20 minutes before the first show."
                    So, I lock back up and wait around for the manager to bring the register drawers down so we can open. When we do, little fella is soooo eager to get in when the doors unlock, he barely gives the girl a chance to unlock the second door before he and his pod of cinephiles rush to the boxoffice.
                    Yep, rush to the boxoffice to get their tickets for........ the 7:30 show of The Simpsons Movie.
                    Geez, come on dude, get a life, talk to girls or something.
                    Customers: from 0 to stupid in 2.5 sentences.

Comment

Oh gods. Movie people. Jumping Jesus on a peanut butter pogo stick eating a blueberry muffin with strawberry jam! The worst is near Christmas, when we get this gift certificate package (an unbelieveable $80 value for only $40!), and people try and show up at 11:00, when the first movie isn't until 12:30 or so. Yeah, we're here. Yeah, that ONE door was unlocked so that we can get in, but dude, we're not open. I can't sell you crap. You can't even BE in here! Our insurance doesn't cover that! (Well, maybe. I dunno. Don't care either. I just don't wanna deal with their ass) Seriously, we're open until like 10:30 pm, come back THEN. If you make me drag the manager all the way down here just to sell you your freaking $40 worth of stuff, you're going to delay our opening, and annoy every person who's showing up at a slightly more reasonable time!
                      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth karl hungus View Post
                        Ah yes, that fine group of creatures known as the American movie going public have exhibited their brilliance to me on many occasions.
                        We usually open the doors at 12 noon since our first films usually start around 12:45 or so. So, I'm ambling about, gettin' my opening usher tasks out of the way and I happen to swing by the concession stand. I see a few people hanging around the door and I check the time. It's about 12:10.
                        I've seen people disappointed because there were no movies showing at 9:10 AM.

Unless you work third shift, and just got off work... get a life!

Comment

hey i work first shift and get off at 10 am, watch it gurndigarn

Comment

Working...
                          X