Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You DO know that copyright infringement is a crime, right?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My friends and I reuse those tissue paper patterns all the time without making paper copies. We make the first pattern pieces in a very cheap fabric, then do all the other work off the fabric patterns. That way we don't have to worry about tearing the tissue to bits.
    This wouldn't help the lady trying to size up though. Only a solid thump on the noggin with a copyright case would do that I think. Apply the Fish Bat!

Comment

Quoth Mamadrae View Post
      I actually heard about this while attempting to get copies out of a book of mine.
      Went to the copy place because the public copier at the grocery store was busted and it was Sunday so the libraries were closed. Figured the copy place would be able to help me.

Asked a girl if I could get copies and she said "Sorry we can't due to copy right laws. You can however do it yourself at our public copiers in the back."

This confused the hell out of me but I wasn't picky and just needed the copies. When the copier broke down she actually looked at what I was copying. Then she went and used their machine for me since the public one was having issues.

I doubt anyone will go after her store for copying 20 character sheets out of the 3.5 players handbook for me.
      I don't know about 3.5, but the copy of 3.0 I have came with a supplemental CD-ROM included, which has things on it such as a character generator and BLANK CHARACTER SHEETS that you can print out on your computer at home!

As for these morons that insist on doing copyright violations, here's a thought: Why don't they just BUY themselves a more-in-one/all-in-one printer for their computer at home, that functions as a flatbed scanner and photo copier?

Then they can violate copyright to their heart's content! For dog's sake, they can be had for under $100, and every PC needs a printer of some sort, anyway! How hard is that to figure out?

Seriously, those of you that have to deal with these asshats, you should ask them that question point blank. In fact, if you work in an office supply store (Staples, Office Depot, Office Max, etc.) you should ask them that question while walking them over to the store's selection of all-in-one printers! If you get good enough at it, you might even get commended by the manager for increasing the store's sales of printers, paper and ink/toner cartridges!
      "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
      --StanFlouride

Comment

Quoth Mamadrae View Post
        I actually heard about this while attempting to get copies out of a book of mine.
        Went to the copy place because the public copier at the grocery store was busted and it was Sunday so the libraries were closed. Figured the copy place would be able to help me.

Asked a girl if I could get copies and she said "Sorry we can't due to copy right laws. You can however do it yourself at our public copiers in the back."

This confused the hell out of me but I wasn't picky and just needed the copies. When the copier broke down she actually looked at what I was copying. Then she went and used their machine for me since the public one was having issues.

I doubt anyone will go after her store for copying 20 character sheets out of the 3.5 players handbook for me.
        It's hassles like this that made me download the sheet and print it myself each time I needed it.
        "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

We have a very nasty, very entitled SC who was trying to use our software to violate the copyright restrictions on materials borrowed from an online library.

We wouldn't have known about it, but she contacted us and demanded we give her tech support because it wasn't working.

She didn't get very far with that.
          The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth Mamadrae View Post

It says at the bottom of the character sheet in fine print that its ok to photocopy.

Comment

I've never had an issue reusing Tissue patterns, but my mom was a professional seamstress and taught me to care for them. I DO have one pattern where it says on the instructions and the pattern piece that they recommend you make a photocopy. But it is a for a ribbon snood,and you end up destroying the pattern in the making of the piece.
              Shamus: Why hasn't anybody designs a cranium-anus extraction kit yet? It seems that so many people suffer from a improperly-stored head.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                um hi some of use arent a size 2 maybe she wanted to enlarge the pattern to make clothes for someone with curves
                (wow that came out bitchy.....)
                Maybe she was converting a younger kids costume (think tinkerbell it will help you)
                for someone older(6 year olds costume now for a 11 year old maybe)
                or maybe they are just bigger

now excuse me i have to deal with my insults form my siblings.
                A good portion of my clientele are on the "large" side, so I have to do this a lot. The largest most American patterns run is 22. Japanese patterns (for Lolita costumes and such) runs up to 14, maybe. I also have a collection of patterns that are out-of-print, so I can't always obtain a larger-sized pattern for my more... well-endowed clients to make their costumes.

For a lot of sewing patterns, simply enlarging them on a copier won't work for larger sizes. Larger sizes tend to have different porportions in different places (ie larger necks, lower waistlines). You can enlarge them from a smaller pattern, but you more or less have to draft them yourself with a ruler and a little geometry. If you just try to enlarge it on a copier, you'll likely wind up with an amorphous tent or something that doesn't hang right on your frame.

As for re-using tissue patterns, I merely cut out the peices to make them easier to handle and use something called "tracing fabric" to trace out the size I need. It's uber-cheap (like 50 yards for $10), thin enough to see what you're doing and sturdy enough that you can mark all over it, sew it together to see what it will look like and/or eliminate "unncessary" seams. And I can re-use the peices if someone requests the costume again or throw them into my scrap pile to make other peices.

In fact, I'm amassing a collection of identical manilla envelopes with words like "Enrico Maxwell Vest - M", "Dr. Jackal Hat - M", and "Psycho Bride Design - Mine".
                A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Working...
                X