This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this stealing???

I was watching cnn and a gas owner's computer wnet haywire and a bunch of people got gas for .35 per gallon. Of course one woman was smiling and showing off her receipt and then she brought back her other car and filled it up. I dunno as a cashier I'm pissed.The poor owner said that this will cost him like 5,000 to 10,000 but of course customers don't give a crap.I just wanted to to slap the bitch showing off her reciept. What do you guys think theives or not.

I know in New Zealand it is. Well it might not be stealing but it is something. A few years ago a service station with an after hours pay by card pump had the price incorrect. Anyway it was reported in the paper that anyone who bought fuel that night needed to pay the difference and they would trace them via there cards if they didn’t come forward.

Really wish I could remember what law it was.

Comment

The moment the store knew of the computer problem, it should have shut off all sales. Customers are quick to take advantage of low prices like that.

While there is (to me at least) a morality/ethics problem with taking advantage of an obvious mistake such as this, it technically is not stealing as the customers paid the price the store offered them and the store allowed them to do it .
      "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
      .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Yeah I saw it. It is stealing though. The employee who hacked the pump to charge that price was fired.

He did it at night so his friend could fill up. They forgot to change it back. So while the sign said Gas: 4.00 bucks or whatever a galleon, the pump only charged like .33 cents or something. Naturalyl people found out, and went haywire and filled up.
        Military Spouse Support.
        http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
        Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
          Yeah I saw it. It is stealing though. The employee who hacked the pump to charge that price was fired.

He did it at night so his friend could fill up. They forgot to change it back. So while the sign said Gas: 4.00 bucks or whatever a galleon, the pump only charged like .33 cents or something. Naturalyl people found out, and went haywire and filled up.
          No this is totally a different one.This one was a computer glitch.

Comment

I agree that the gas station should have shut off the pumps as soon as the glitch was noticed. There's theft, and then there's enabling theft. Leaving the pumps on when there was a malfunction is the gas station owner's fault (or at least the staff's) - it's not like this shockingly came to their attention days later here.
            GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
              The moment the store knew of the computer problem, it should have shut off all sales. Customers are quick to take advantage of low prices like that.

While there is (to me at least) a morality/ethics problem with taking advantage of an obvious mistake such as this, it technically is not stealing as the customers paid the price the store offered them and the store allowed them to do it .
              The gas station on the corner of my house was temporarily closed for a day or so since the computer was down and if it was open, people would've received free gas.
              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                I agree that the gas station should have shut off the pumps as soon as the glitch was noticed. There's theft, and then there's enabling theft. Leaving the pumps on when there was a malfunction is the gas station owner's fault (or at least the staff's) - it's not like this shockingly came to their attention days later here.
                I agree. I think the store owner (or the employee that was supposed to change it) should also eat the costs since [he] didn't shut it off.
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Working...
                X