This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first tale of lower education...

Hello all! This is my first time, so be gentle...

---

Hello Mr. Alumni! Welcome back to your alma mater!

No, we don't validate parking, even for alumni.

Sorry, your being an alumni does NOT have any weight on chances for your student being accepted (and her friend's chances too).

Nor does it affect their scholarship eligibility.

Yes, I'm serious.

The Dean of Admissions will tell you the same thing.

Just because you see the face of my top tour guide in the presentation does not automatically mean she can emerge from the depths of the office any time you want her to. Thankfully, due to a coincidence, she will be here at 130pm. That is your one and only freebee for the day.

Oh, and thank you for not showing up to meet her at 130 after you requested her gracious presence to kiss you and your students ass.

This pattern of entitlement I'm seeing just about everywhere I go... Is it a disease? Is it contagious? Can we stop it?

Seriously, this "person" expected all that simply for graduating from college? Ouch. I didn't get free parking or promises of automatic admission and scholarships for my children when I graduated. I didn't even get free parking before I graduated.

For being a student, as part of my tuition and student fees, I got a UTA bus pass (which I sorely miss) and admission to the campus gym and pool. When I graduated, I got a diploma holder, a tassel, a folder, a cookie, and my choice between a bumper sticker and a water bottle. I could have gotten a T-shirt and a hat if I wanted to sign up for the alumni association and pay some annual fee for a card that got me local discounts that would balance out evenly against the annual fees. I didn't even get my farking diploma without a fight (that was a big mess that was mostly their fault and required a long series of emails and phone calls over three months to finally resolve).

Graduating from college earns a diploma, a degree, and the chance at a better or higher-paying job. That's about it. I was happy to get that cookie.

(Actually, at the university I just graduated from, having one or more parents as alumni does grant an extra point or two on scholarship applications, but it doesn't immediately guarantee a scholarship or admission.)

Oh, yeah. Welcome, kirk2010!
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

Comment

Working...
    X