This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth BrassCowboy View Post
    Some parents don't have time to take their kids with permits out driving on their own time. Perhaps she wanted him to "practice" on go-karts?
    That's what I was thinking too. However, go-karts handle quite a bit differently from cars. Sure, it'll give you the basics, but when they finally *do* get behind the wheel of a car, it's going to be 'interesting' Cars simply handle differently because their center of gravity is higher than a 'kart. Oh, and there's the additional weight to deal with...meaning they take longer to stop. Also, many 'kart tracks are kept in great shape...not so with the cratered roads in the real world.

When I learned to drive, Dad thought it was best to learn on the minivan. He figured, if I could handle a long-wheelbase Dodge Caravan, then switching to the crappy Tempo wouldn't be a problem. In fact, the Caravan was actually *easier* to handle than the car...mainly because it ran and the steering was geared for a tighter radius. Meaning, I could get it into tight spots without a problem.

What's funny about all this, is that I'm having to 'relearn' everything when it comes to the MG. There's no power steering to deal with, no power brakes, and it's only a four-speed. Totally different driving style compared to a modern car. But, it's more fun
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Wouldn't help much, anyway. Go Karts only have the basic steering and acceleration. No brakes or turn signals or anything.

It's like a race track on a much, MUCH slower and smaller scale. No one should learn to drive on a race track.
      "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
        Las Vegas. And that's all I'm gonna say about it. >>

I used to live in Vegas! I think I know where you work. Never did the go-kart thing, though.

Actually, there was a ton of stuff in Vegas I wish I could have done, but was always broke when I lived there.

Comment

I work at one of the... I'm gonna say three places in Las Vegas that are okay for the under 21 crowd.

Yeah, this place is pretty boring when you're broke/underaged.

I've only ridden the go-carts once, and that was several years ago.
          "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
          X