Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I finally found someone who's worse at math than me...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I finally found someone who's worse at math than me...

When it comes to math, I am, quite simply, an imbecile. A moron. An ignoramous. Let's just say that if that big grey box didn't tell me what change to give back, I would be in some serious trouble. I struggle with even basic math concepts. I am, quite frankly, appalled and ashamed of my stupidity at times. Just hope you're never in my lane saying "there's a sign back there that says that's supposed to be (quantity) for (amount)", because, quite possibly, I won't have any friggin' clue how much each item costs. I will admit that I've been known to sometimes give back wrong change (well, mostly back when I was new), and yes, that's with the numbers right in front of my face. Let's not even mention the couple of times I've keyed in the wrong amount and had to figure it out on my own (although my nerves certianly don't help in these situations). However today, I think I finally found somebody who's actually worse than me. A girl, let's say in her 20's, comes up to my register and makes several purchases. I give her the total and she digs the money out of her purse. And then she looks up at me, coins in hand, and asks a question:

"What's 20 plus 25?"

Yes, she was inquring what she would end up with if she put two dimes and a quarter together.

I was surprised, needless to say, but I didn't laugh, make a face, or question her, I just told her the answer, she handed me the change and left. I'm not going to be nasty or make any assumptions about her. It would be a wee bit hypocritical of me to mock someone else's mathematical ineptitude. It could have simply been a brain fart or she was just incredibly tired and overworked, or who knows what. It was just so bizarre. It's pretty damn bad when I know the answer and you don't.
    Last edited by Despina83; 09-10-2007, 04:47 AM.

It totally could have been a brain fart. That'd happen in the cash office of my first theatre all the time. After adding and subtracting cash for a couple hours, eventually your brain is just going to lock up, and you're going to need that bit of help. Then again, it could be this person can only count to 25...
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Yeah, I remember the time I nearly gave back wrong change because for some reason I had it in my head that a dime was 20 cents...

Comment

Definite brain fart potential there. Happens to me all the time, and I'm supposedly good at math (I can handle algebra, geometry to a point, but calculus totally throws me).

Especially happened to me on tests. I'd be sitting there reading a problem, and trying to do something basic in my head (what's 4 x 4?), and completely unable to write the answer (or even do anything, total stop) for a minute or more.

Comment

I can do basic math just fine, as long as I have a pencil and paper. But trying to do it in my head...forget it. It's hopeless. If it's due to brain farts then my brain is on a flatulence high!

When I was cashiering full-time there was a time or two that I can definitely say I had a brain fart. I'd take the cash from a customer then just stand there like an idiot and stare at it. For some unknown reason my brain just stopped working and I couldn't seem to figure out how much money I was staring at.

Very embarrassing!
          Retail Haiku:
          Depression sets in.
          The hellhole is calling me ~
          I don't want to go.

Comment

When I lived in Canada, the quarters would ALWAYS lock me up.

We don't have them here so I never learned to add that way. Oftentimes, I'd get quarters in my change and have to get the check out chickie to explain that, yes, I did get the right change.

I never made a fuss about it and I was lucky nobody got stroppy with me. I guess the sound of my accent made them realise I "wasn't from around here."

Total surrender
            Your touch is so tender
            Your skin is like water on a burning beach
            And it brings me relief
            "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

My mother and I are like that. We could be shopping just for copy paper. We go in talking about it, pick it up and look at it. Put it back down, and grab other items. Then when we get home, we realize we didn't get the copy paper.
              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Despina, don't feel bad. You're not alone. I'm the same way you are. I consider myself intelligent, but unfortunately all of my intellectual gifts went into writing and the humanities. I've struggled with math since I was in elementary school. I just don't have a mathematical brain - it's hard for me to think in numbers.

I can do basic math fine on paper (adding, subtracting, dividing, multiplying, figuring out percents, etc.) but I have a lot of trouble counting change back in my head, which is quite embarassing at times. And of course asshole customers will make a point to make you feel as stupid as possible. And I want to say to them, "Good for you! You can count back change in your head, but I seriously doubt you could write a coherent paper, let alone as well as I could!" In this day and age, it's useful to know how to count change back in your head, but there's always a calculator or pencil/paper available to us, so it's not a big deal.
                Last edited by RammsteinGirl; 09-10-2007, 10:43 AM.
                My Myspace, add me!

Comment

I struggle with math as well, passed Algebra by the skin of my teeth and the help of a good tutor. Of course, the fact that my teacher never even bothered to learn how to correctly pronounce my name probably didn't help.

And yeah, there's always a calculator or at least a pen and paper if needed.

However, and very much in my own opinion...

If I count on the register as my only means of knowing how much change to give back, I can almost guarantee my register count will be off. I don't know if it's from keying in a wrong amount of cash tended or what, but I've learned over the years that if I count the change back from the purchase price up to the amount given (50 cents makes 5, 5 makes 10 and 10 makes 20) then I am balanced to the penny every time. Showing my age, I suppose, I don't think many cashiers are trained this way any longer.

Guild Wars- Ravynn Darkshine, Drasnian Silk
                  MySpace- PhantasmBastion

Comment

I hated it when I would have brain farts when I was a cashier. Almost every cash transaction, I would calculate the change instantly in my head without thinking about it. I'd just verify it with the register as I was handing the change back.

Of course, the few times where it'd be towards he end of a long day and my brain is fried and for some reason I'm having trouble figuring out what the proper change for a 4.77 total and given 5 dollars (23 cents for those who are math declined) would be when I did something to the register such that it didn't show the right total. So I'd have to figure it out myself while the customer is just looking at me like I'm an idiot. And when they walk away, they'd make some comment to the person he or she is with about how dumb cashiers are.

Comment

Quoth Despina83 View Post
                      When it comes to math, I am, quite simply, an imbecile. A moron. An ignoramous. Let's just say that if that big grey box didn't tell me what change to give back, I would be in some serious trouble. I struggle with even basic math concepts.
                      This is kinda embarrassing, but I realized, about halfway through my Junior year of College for Engineering, that I needed a calculator to do basic arithmetic.

What is worse is that I am not alone in this, many of my current peers (engineers all) keep a hand calculator nearby for simple math.

We are all so used to doing algebra & calculus in our heads we are out of practice with the little things. Even the other night I was trying to split the bill for dinner with friends and had someone else check my math because I just was not sure.

Comment

I know the feeling well; when I was in University (going for a Math degree), we used to joke how the Math Faculty was where you went to forget how to count.

I think you get so used to doing the complicated stuff that when it comes time to downshift into the 1+1=2 territory, your mind rebels and says 'no it can't be that simple, where's the catch'?

Comment

I beg to differ. NO ONE is as bad at math as me! I fail spectacularly when it comes to math-life. Trust me.
                          ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Quoth Amethyst Hunter View Post
                            I beg to differ. NO ONE is as bad at math as me! I fail spectacularly when it comes to math-life. Trust me.
                            Prove it. Quantify it, so we can independently rate your math suckitude. Make sure this is a rigorous proof, too. We want to make sure it passes all tests, so that nobody can argue the point

Comment

Quoth Despina83 View Post
                              When it comes to math, I am, quite simply, an imbecile. A moron. An ignoramous.
                              I am probably worse than you. Seriously....although, I am good at adding because I play Yahtzee alot....lol
                              "If it offends one person, it effects everyone".....me, on the PC world in which we dwell.

Comment

Working...
                              X