Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I finally found someone who's worse at math than me...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Ducky Dew View Post

Showing my age, I suppose, I don't think many cashiers are trained this way any longer.
    I was never trained that way, and whenever I tried to do it, it would always throw me off...

Quoth MadRocketScientist
    This is kinda embarrassing, but I realized, about halfway through my Junior year of College for Engineering, that I needed a calculator to do basic arithmetic.
    I still use chisenbop...which I learned in first grade. Then again, Math is the reason I majored in English...
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

You'd have to be a total ass to stand there and look at the cashier like she's an idiot, or worse, actually make a nasty comment.

I learned every thing I needed to learn to get my GED (I was homeschooled from 11 on. Sorry, mom, I know I'm not making you look good here...). I knew all the math at one point and did fine on the math test. But I just never have to use it anymore, and I've forgotten all of it. How to figure out percentages, dealing with fractions, etc.-all gone. It's scary. I really need to go back and go over this stuff again (oh what fun). I've always been a good writer. A's in english classes, and whenever I half to do papers for classes, whatever subject it may be, I always get excellent marks. And in grade school I always read at a level several grades ahead of mine. But when it comes to math and science, forget it. When I was a kid I'd sit in class staring at my math problems saying, "Huh???" while the rest of the class scribbled answers. Nothing ever sunk in.

Comment

Quoth Retail Associate View Post
        If it's due to brain farts then my brain is on a flatulence high!

I manage to have extensive amounts of 'I left my brain at college' moments. I have, and I apologize in absentia to all the cashiers I've done it to, counted out my change and then asked them to double check it. I feel bad about it, but sometimes even the number of dollar bills I'm holding slips my mind.

On the other hand, there was the time I managed to hit the 00 (double zero) button on the register twice and entered that the guy paid me $2000 for his bill. *That* was fun
        NPCing: the ancient art of acting out your multiple personality disorder in a setting where someone else might think there's nothing wrong with you.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
          Prove it. Quantify it, so we can independently rate your math suckitude. Make sure this is a rigorous proof, too. We want to make sure it passes all tests, so that nobody can argue the point
          Well...in addition to exhibiting on a regular basis all the traits the original poster mentioned, I once *could not* for the life of me figure out how to change a $20 bill into $10 worth of quarters plus the leftover (doing it so that my drawer wouldn't be shorted, that is - and btw, money-switching is a tactic con people will try to get more back than they should, and I was paranoid about not going under or over so I wouldn't get in trouble), which is what the would-be customer wanted. I've done some pretty stupid things in my life, but that has to be one of the dumbest. I finally had to tell the customer to go to the service desk.

So yes: I am completely retardular at all things mathematical.
          ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Working...
          X