Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What else can you say to people who want out for free?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What else can you say to people who want out for free?

I sometimes deal with people who drive up to the exit gate at Visitor Parking, press the call box, the phone call is transferred to dispatch, which transfes the call to me. The person is either a) late for a meeting, b) late for work, or c) late for an appointment. I tell the person I am not authorized to let anyone out for free, & I explain to the person where to pay for their parking since everyone has to pay inside the building. But...the person will not back up & pay for their parking. What else can I say to get my point across that I am still not authorized to raise the gate for anyone in their situation?

Tell them that one of your options is to call the police and inform them of "theft of service" "creating a public nuisance" "blocking traffic" that are currently being committed by unknown persons. You don't WANT to do this, as it causes paperwork...

Comment

Suggest they can pay their fee inside now or pay the towing company impounding their car for blocking a thru-way. By the way, they charge a minimum hundred dollars
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I vote for Crazeyal's option but only if snugglegirl05 promises to come back and tell us all about the explosive tirades and claims of ridiculousness and threats of lawsuits and such that will surely result from giving that kind of answer.
        I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
        - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
        - IPF

Comment

I'd flat out say NO over and over again and follow it up with, "No. You have to pay inside. No one is going to open he gates for you. If you're late that's your problem, not ours. Drive hrough and we'll get your license plate number from the cameras and forward it to the police department."

Whether or not you actually have cameras that can do that is besides the point. What they don't know can't help them.

Comment

Point to a sign that your organization is not responsible for damage to SC's vehicle, especially tires punctured by the spikes strips.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Point out that arguing with you is going to take a lot longer than just going back and paying. Don't complain to me that you're late (which is in no way my fault) and then argue with me when I tell you what you need to do.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                Point to a sign that your organization is not responsible for damage to SC's vehicle, especially tires punctured by the spikes strips.
                Not too effective over a speakerphone..

Comment

I'm with crazyal. Tell them you will have it towed or you will call a police officer.
                  Check out my cosplay social group!
                  http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

"You have 2 choices, you can either park the car and go back inside to pay OR you can argue with me, lose more time, and then park the car and go back inside to pay".

It gets their hopes up when you offer 2 options

If anyone suggests a third option, like just driving through, you explain that this will save them time in the short term but will mean losing a lot of time when the police interview them later. And you'd hate () to see that important meeting interrupted by the police.

Through out maintain a pretence that you believe absolutely that they really are in a hurry and are trying to find them the quickest solution.

Victoria J

Comment

Another approach is to act like you're on their side...

"I appreciate that you're in a hurry. That's why I'm trying to help you get out of here as quickly as possible. Just back up your car, park it and come inside to pay. The sooner you do that, the sooner you'll be on your way."
                      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Just one question, is there not a policy in place by your employer for this already?

I'd think that just letting them know that you'll be there when they've paid and then ignoring them will work.

At the very least they'll get frustrated and go inside and pay.

At the very most (and best) they'll get outta the way when the line of cars starts to form behind them filled with other customers who may be running late but are willing to pay. Peer Pressure...still works

Comment

Working...
                        X