This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed for inventory??? What does that mean

So around christmas time we close for two weeks.Well a sometimes in that two weeks I have to come in and do inventory.Basically I get to choose when I do this,it only takes like 2 hours. So I was doing inventory and then sign was on the door that said closed for inventory. Well shit don't you know it the idiots customers just couldn't get it. I seen numerous people look at the sign and then started banging on the door. One woman started screaming well what the fuck am I supposed to do? I told her I didn't really care. So after about 10 people I turned down the lights just enough where I could still see. I guess in the CS world lights mean open.

I assume your closed for the school's christmas break. Why do the idiots think your open during break?

Comment

Closed for inventory means ... Come on in, buy a whole heap of shit and screw up my counting you morons.

We have to do stocktake while the store is open which completely defeats the purpose of counting stock if customers take a product off the shelf after you've counted it.
      I am but a tiny, barren, insignificant rock caught in the glorious orbit of your shining sun. Gravekeeper.

Comment

We don't have the luxury of closing down and counting everything ourselves. So we bring in a company who brings in a few dozen people - greatly increasing the potential for errors - and we count it all in one night. Usually start in the back around 9 and move out onto the floor once the store closes. We've been known to close the music and/or kids' departments early, though. It's actually kind of fun, even though we don't get out until at least 3 or 4 am. They feed us and we get to wear jeans.

In the warehouse distribution center, we don't get to close at all. They do something called cycle counting, which is basically a rolling inventory. The whole place gets done twice a year.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

when we did inventory at the craft store we would close off asile by asile

ugh I used to HATE it, customers would be SO ANGRY that they had to wait 4-5 minutes before the aisle was fully counted and they could have items from it

everyone used to dread inventory
          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth candyshopgirl View Post
            I guess in the CS world lights mean open.
            Yes, yes they do. One time a customer pounded on the glass after hours:

Me: Sorry, we're closed.
            CS: Then why are the lights on?

You try mopping in the dark, dumbass.

Comment

Ah, camp store memories. Why is it that as soon as I'd lock the doors, and attempt to get the place ready for morning...I'd get a constant stream of idiots pounding on the doors? It's not like I was open the entire day

The best though, had to be the idiots on Saturday, who, on the last day of camp...would come to spend the last of their cash. Normally, I'd welcome the sales...but some of those fools were simply wasting my time. Get the hell out! I have inventory to do, dammit.

And no, inventory was not fun. It sucked--we had to physically count every piece of crap that store sold. All the candy, sodas (including the ones in the machine), etc. had to be accounted for. Even if that particular item had never been sold (i.e., we'd gotten in say, 5 knives...and they were still in stock), we still had to count it. Made things interesting because those stupid numbers *never* matched up.
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Ithink I posted about this in my 3 nights of hell post way back when, but the convenience store I worked in at one point (Cycle Kappa) shut down on friday and saturday, due to having to clean for the next week (yeah friday and saturday rushes were that bad) and because of a popular club which gave us many DSCs, enough that cops started using us as a sobriety test place.

I don't think there was ever one of these nights where I could convince someone that we were closed...yeah you try sweeping, mopping, facing and counting in the dark....especially the last two jackanapes.

gah now I need a drink at noon.

Comment

When I was in high school / college, my sister worked part-time at a department store. The way they did inventory was once a year to close for a day (Saturday, I think), and hire a whole bunch of people to come in for the day and do inventory, in addition to all of their normal employees. Since my sister worked there, she talked me into doing it. Basically, it was all day (they did order in lunch for us). You worked in teams of two people, counting everything on every shelf in the (large) store (this was the early 1980s, so it was all done by hand, no scanners). It was drudge work, but it paid pretty good, and it was kind of fun -- not really the work itself, but hanging out with all these people in the same boat.

And of course even though there were huge signs saying CLOSED FOR INVENTORY and the doors were locked and the parking lot nearly empty, you'd still get these morons parking and trying to come into the store. We ignored them.

Comment

Closed ...??? What does that mean???
                    Edited to accurately convey what the actual thought patterns of an SC.

... and for my own amusement.
                    "It's not easy being evil in a world that's gone to Hell" ~ Anton LaVey

Comment

Working...
                    X