X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It finally happened =(

... I have now officially been hit on by a customer

Last Saturday, I had a 6hr shift. It's the 4 1/2 hr, I'm tired. I didn't want to come into work to begin with so I'm not in the best of moods. Oh and the fact that I had (still have) a history paper I needed to be writing totally didn't help. Instead of being grumpy, I went the good old "If I act perky I won't feel like Hell's doormat so much" route.

Baseball hat guy (BHG) comes in with 2 of his buddies, all of them big stereotypical rednecks somewhere in their late 20s or early 30s. I'm over in kids shoes hiding shelving when the leader of the pack, BHG, comes over.

(snarky thoughts in italics)

BHG: Do you work here?
    Fro: No of course I don't work here. This nametag is the latest thing from Paris and I just love fixing messy shoes! Yes I do, how can I help you?
    BHG: My buddy needs help with a shoe.
    Fro: Ok, just show me which shoe.
    BHG: I thought maybe you were trying on those shoes
    Fro: Umm I was in little kids shoes.... Wow Nope, I wish my feet were that small.

Yeah, I'm bored and try to at least keep myself entertained by joking with the customers.

Fro: Ok, let me go check in the back for you.
    BHG: She's gonna CHECK for you

Awwwwwww naaaw. Great, Mister Hat here thinks repeating what I'm saying with the same chipper voice is funny. I know I tend to use a Barbie voice when I'm forcing politeness, but still.

I as run to the evil men's stock room I hear him still mimicking me to his buddies. The men's stock room is evil since it's a fairly good distance away from shoes, the light never turns on fast enough, and the manikins always scare surprise me. Nope, no shoe for BHG's buddy. I knew that from the start, but frankly I wanted a little break from the customers.

Fro: I'm sorry sir, we don't have it. Would you like for me to check and see if another store does?
    BHG: HEY RED!!
    Fro: GREAT, shout over my head why don't ya.
    BHG: They don't have it, do you want her to CHECK?
    Fro: Oh for the love of sausage, quit mimicking me
    Red: Nah, I'm good.
    Fro: Sorry we didn't have it.
    BHG: Hey wait, my buddy wants to know if you're single.
    Fro: WHAT THE??!?! Sorry, I'm seeing someone. *smile and FLEEEEEEEEEEEE*

What in the dickens made you think that mimicking me and then asking me out was a smart choice? I'm so happy I didn't pause or hesitate to say I was seeing someone, becuase I am single and happily so.

It's not that bad, but I'm only 18 and this guy had to be in his 30s. That's just creepy. Now my glasses do make me look older, but hell, I wasn't even dressed cute that day! Now if I was wearing my sexy pants, ok I get it, but I was wearing my old saggy butt pants with a shirt that kinda makes me look pregnant. Maybe he dug the whole tired frumpy librarian look or something. Or maybe it was my awesome hair.... I had literally taken a nap before work and my fro was not in the best of shapes. Then again, he had probably never seen a white girl with a fro before. Or any woman not related to him....

To top it off, BHG and his buddies then proceeded to wander around the shoe department even more. I hid in toddler shoes, hoping the awesome Spiderman shoes would ward them off. That or the fluffy princess boots would.

To top it off, when I told my coworker, she was all "Doesn't it make you feel good though?" Ummm NO.

Bah. If my other coworker K had been there, he probably could've scared them off for me.
    Last edited by Fro; 10-14-2008, 03:24 AM. Reason: fixed tags
    The worst is not,
    So long as we can say, 'This is the worst.' (King Lear IV.1)

They were 30ish? Then the proper response is:

Him: My buddy wants to know if you're single?
    You: Why - is he looking to hook up his son with someone?

Comment

Quoth Fro View Post
      It's not that bad, but I'm only 18 and this guy had to be in his 30s. That's just creepy. Now my glasses do make me look older, but hell, I wasn't even dressed cute that day! Now if I was wearing my sexy pants, ok I get it, but I was wearing my old saggy butt pants with a shirt that kinda makes me look pregnant. Maybe he dug the whole tired frumpy librarian look or something. Or maybe it was my awesome hair.... I had literally taken a nap before work and my fro was not in the best of shapes. Then again, he had probably never seen a white girl with a fro before. Or any woman not related to him.....
      dude didnt you see Juno all big burly men secretly want the slightly frumpy weird librarian type.

Comment

It is common knowledge frumpy librarians just have to take off their glasses and shake loose their hair, and they become HAWT! And that under their saggy-butt pants they have a killer body clad in sexy lingerie.

Or maybe I've been watching too much pron.
        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
          Quite possibly Sir, quite possibly!
          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Don't act too surprised here, but a lot of times, it doesn't matter what you're wearing. Sometimes you are just never safe, even if you wore a potato sack or dressed like a nun.

I've been hit on running errands after work....I've gotten the oogle eye at the bank, whistles at gas pumps or in the aisles of Wal-Mart. Even worse was for the longest time, people at work bothered me.

To start with, all I wear at work are jeans/cordouroys and tshirts...partly because I get in trouble for wearing anything with a neckline lower than my collar bone, otherwise because I just don't care enough to impress those drooling morons at work. Unless it's cold enough outside to freeze my just washed hair, I air dry it and only wear enough makeup to look fresh and awake.

After 8 hours of what I deal with every night, my eyes can barely stay open, my skin is so oily nowadays that it's nearly wet, my pants are too big for me so the butt and legs sag, and my hair gets so nasty from being in poor air quality (climate control my fat ass) that I can't possibly see how I'd look awesome.

Unfortunately, when you get hit on by a customer or coworker, you can't really say what you want because you're on the clock and need to be "professional", even though you want to kick them in the face. At least when the tables are turned and you're off work, you can growl or wish the guy to whistle up a rope dipped in kerosine and volunteer to light the match for him.

Just a polite "No thanks" or "I'm married" or "I'm seeing someone" usually works. If it doesn't then by all means, be rude.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Fro View Post
              When I first read that, I thought it said that you were hit by a customer... as in they struck you... and I was really looking forward to hearing a tale of some SC who was arrested for assault and battery.
              "It's not easy being evil in a world that's gone to Hell" ~ Anton LaVey

Comment

That's possible?

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth DevilBoy View Post
                  When I first read that, I thought it said that you were hit by a customer... as in they struck you... and I was really looking forward to hearing a tale of some SC who was arrested for assault and battery.
                  Same here!
                  "Thank God for the idiots: but for them, the rest of us could not succeed." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth Fro View Post
                    *pins a badge on Fro's shirt* Welcome to the club. Here's your complementary welcoming gift: a can of pepper spray!*

*Don't we all wish?

Oddly enough, I got hit on more when I was taken and happy than when I was single and looking. Not like I'd EVER go out with any of the miscreants I see at work on a daily basis. One guy, after I ignored his 10-minute spiel about how awesome a lover he was and that girls swoon in his wake got all huffy and muttered that I probably couldn't take a <insert slang name for male anatomy here> and stormed off. After the shock wore off and I sent an e-mail to my boss, I couldn't help but
                    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                      Not like I'd EVER go out with any of the miscreants I see at work on a daily basis.
                      An officer who I work with was attempting to book a prisoner into custody after he'd been arrested for harrassment (or some such offence) and while they were waiting in the holding bay he attempted to woo her by reciting poetry to her!
                      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I think its more of a power trip for some people. They know you have to stay professional, so they want to be assholes. Makes them feel manly, I guess. I used to get that crap back at (pizza place). Lets pick on someone who can't tell us where to stick it, so our friends will think we are cool.
                        Things just get so crazy living life gets hard to do. I would gladly hit the road, get up and go if I knew,that someday it would bring me back to you.

Comment

That certainly is a possibility, even for ladies who do it. Maybe some people are just that masochistic.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                            That's possible?

Rapscallion
                            First of all... NO COMMENT. Really. None.

Ok, that does take a lot of self control not to comment, lol.

Anyways, I have a theory about these idiots that hit on customer service people. They are mostly either

1. Overly (and generally NEVER justifiably) self confident and arrogant idiots
                            or
                            2. Members of the "OMG she smiled, I think she likes me" clan. I'm sure you all know the type... You, customer service peon, are not being friendly because you have to.. You just reaaaaaaally like him. Him and the other 4500 customers you smiled at today and told to have a nice day.
                            "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

Comment

Quoth SilverOrb View Post
                              2. Members of the "OMG she smiled, I think she likes me" clan. I'm sure you all know the type... You, customer service peon, are not being friendly because you have to.. You just reaaaaaaally like him. Him and the other 4500 customers you smiled at today and told to have a nice day.
                              False hope and feeling is OK, as long as the dude just keeps it to himself and moves on. I like to think I have a billon to one shot, rather then zero.
                              Military Spouse Support.
                              http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                              Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Working...
                              X