Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had something like that happen. I posted something for $200 and had someone try to haggle with me about it.

Even went as far as demanding that I sell it to him for $60 or he would report me to the eBay staff.

Told him to go ahead and report me. Never heard anything about it. Either he didn't report me or he did and eBay staff looked at my listed item, saw that it was a legal to sell item and at a reasonable price (old paintball marker with accessories) and ignored him.

And it was at a reasonable price. Someone else bought it off of me that very day. Gave me positive feedback saying that it was perfect for his kid and at a good price.
    I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      I used to get the same thing with people asking if I'd ship internationally.

But it never failed. All the time I got "Will you ship this to (foreign country)? Will you ship this to (foreign country)? Will you ship this to (foreign country) and mark it as a gift on the customs form?".
      <SC>Will you sell to a foreign buyer if it's someone you know over an internet forum?</>
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
        Had something like that happen. I posted something for $200 and had someone try to haggle with me about it.

Even went as far as demanding that I sell it to him for $60 or he would report me to the eBay staff.

Told him to go ahead and report me. Never heard anything about it. Either he didn't report me or he did and eBay staff looked at my listed item, saw that it was a legal to sell item and at a reasonable price (old paintball marker with accessories) and ignored him.

And it was at a reasonable price. Someone else bought it off of me that very day. Gave me positive feedback saying that it was perfect for his kid and at a good price.
        Ebay couldn't care less if it's a reasonable price or not - they aren't the price police. As long as it's legal, and you are delivering what you say, they get their fees and don't really care. That's the same kind of dipstick that tells the retail clerk he's calling the cops - and we all know how that ends.
        Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Has anyone ever had any bad encounters with shipping an item overseas that involved getting ripped off on shipping fees? I'm selling a motherboard there right now but blatantly put that I used to get ripped off on shipping fees and am charging a higher amount. I also stated that if the actual shipping amount is lower, then I am refunding the difference via PayPal so that the custy doesn't get gyped on shipping

Let's say a person wins the item but wants it shipped overseas. I figure I can take the item all packaged up and ready to go, take it to the post office, then get a quote on how much it would be to ship to their location. Then I come back, send a reply on how much it is, then request the total amount w shipping to be paid via PayPal. At that point the custy is in a legally binding agreement since I also have stated in the ad that I would get the amount quoted for overseas shipping and expect the extra amount with the total winning bid to be paid in full.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
            Please don't apologize BTRBW! Rants are needed (and appreciated) here just as much as "Just the facts, ma'am" stories. Lets us all know we aren't alone in feeling that the idiots really are idiots, not just us being obtuse.
            Out of curiosity what is "BTRBW"? I've been trying to look it up online and can't find anything yet.

and speaking of those sales where online-customers ORDER people to lower their prices... kinda reminds me of the noobs on those mmorpgs. i've seen quite a few times where noobs will try ORDERING experienced players to give out free stuff or face being banned/reported. as if anyone actually believes their threats.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              Out of curiosity what is "BTRBW"? I've been trying to look it up online and can't find anything yet.

and speaking of those sales where online-customers ORDER people to lower their prices... kinda reminds me of the noobs on those mmorpgs. i've seen quite a few times where noobs will try ORDERING experienced players to give out free stuff or face being banned/reported. as if anyone actually believes their threats.
              Bob The Random Boy Wonder...the person who started this thread.
              "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                Would the dead silence of not responding to the nimrod get your point across?
                Yeah, seconded. If they persist, send them a screenshot of your selling page with the "fixed price/BIN" section highlighted and a big starburst around it with arrows pointing at the page section.

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                Either he didn't report me or he did and eBay staff looked at my listed item, saw that it was a legal to sell item and at a reasonable price
                I figure eBay would be all about HIGHER prices -- higher final sell price equals more money for them.
                (old paintball marker with accessories)
                I know you're talking about paintball guns, but, every time I see this term, the first thing in my mind is a Marks-a-lot marker filled with day-glo ink x.x
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                  Bob The Random Boy Wonder...the person who started this thread.
                  well that explains why i couldn't find it online!

now i just feel like a dunce for not figuring that out sooner

Comment

Thank you CCt2!

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                    now i just feel like a dunce for not figuring that out sooner
                    Dunce? No. Reluctant to imagine how lazy sms001 could be? Spot on.

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                      Would the dead silence of not responding to the nimrod get your point across?

Or maybe just a terse, "I am sorry, but I cannot accept your offer" with no explanation or any other verbage included.
                      And if he persists, block him. You don't have to sell to everybody. I've blocked a few customers just for being jackasses.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I had to deal with that sort of thing all the time when I worked at a thrift store. Sometimes they wouldn't even haggle but instead just tell me how much they were going to pay for something. Needless to say those people never got what they wanted.

Comment

I will usually ask nicely if they will ship to Aus, since we are the arse end of the world, and it is impossible to get certain items here. But it is always polite, and I take no for an answer.

I loathe haggling. I can't believe people do that with ebay.

Comment

El Topo -- Haggling/lowballing at a thrift store? o_O Isn't that kinda like going to Mickey D's and insisting that they give you a discount off of the Dollar Menu items?
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

When replying to people who make such outrageous requests, I'd just use an e-mail like the following:

Dear Sucky,

No.

Sincerely,

BTRBW

If he freaks out at that, then proceed to tear into him, explaining just how many things are wrong with his offer, and point out that it's right on your eBay page that you don't negotiate.

Comment

Quoth iner22 View Post
                                When replying to people who make such outrageous requests, I'd just use an e-mail like the following:

Dear Sucky,

No.

Sincerely,

BTRBW

If he freaks out at that, then proceed to tear into him, explaining just how many things are wrong with his offer, and point out that it's right on your eBay page that you don't negotiate.
                                Nah, I'd just keep sending them the "No" email every time. I doubt they're going to feel embarrassed when you point out their obvious idiocy as they don't see it that way. "That isn't idiocy, that's good business skills" etc. You can't reason with crazy.

Comment

Working...
                                X