This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psycho customer!

So I work in the customer care department of a utility company and cranky people are fairly common, but once in a while you get a customer that is just unruly and totally unreasonable. The kind of customer that makes you want to go postal.

I answer the phone, and as I'm saying my greeting, I can hear her screaming to someone in the background and I knew right off the bat, she was going to be a pain in the butt.

When a customer calls, we have a little pop-up screen that gives us an account number and a name...it generates based on the automated system and usually goes off of the phone number they call from. Before we go over the account, we have to verify that the person we are talking to is the same account that came through. Sometimes people call from a number that isn't theirs, therefore someone else's account comes through.

As soon as I got finished with my greeting, she starts yelling at me wanting to know why we are harrassing her about her past due balance. I ask her who I'm speaking with (to verify her acct) and she starts in on me about why she has to tell me again when she already gave her information before (to the automated system). "Yes, I am who I am, blah blah blah..." There's no point in explaining to her that sometimes a different person's account pulls up so we have to verify the information we have is correct, because she doesn't want to hear anything I have to say, just yell. I wasn't asking her for her first born child, or to surrender a blood sample or anything. Simply her name.

As soon as I could drag her name out of her, albeit very snarkily, she keeps going off about how we are harrassing and threatening her over her past due balance. When a customer's acct goes past due, we send a letter asking them to contact us, and after about 10 days, if we don't hear anything or receive payment, we issue an automated phone call asking the customer to call in. So that's the extent of our harrasment with her, a letter, and ONE phone call. She was going off about how it's illegal to shut her service off in the winter and that we won't shut her service off, so why are we even trying to contact her. She'll pay it when she pays it. I didn't bother trying to explain that she was wrong, and we absolutely do shut service off if a customer isn't paying their bill, but there's no point in arguing with someone like this, it's futile. She starts threatening us saying she could take us to small claims court over this "harrassment."

I tried to explain to her that her account is PAST DUE so we send out PAST DUE notices and that there isn't any way to avoid that (other than paying the statement in full each month of course). She wasn't having any of it. I was basically there to yell at. She wouldn't listen to any reason, or any logic, she just wanted to yell and threaten. She said if she got one more notice she'd "go ballistic."

After some more yelling, threatening, and swearing, she finally hung up on me. Now here is my question. Which is more harrassment? One letter, and one automated phone call, or her calling me and swearing, yelling, threatening to sue? She actually said we were having a "tizzy fit" over her past due balance. I think it was pretty clear who was having the tizzy fit. She really got under my skin.

Wow.
    Tell me there's a way to flag this account for that kind of abuse. I see you have some EW who thinks utiltites aren't allowed to cut off for nonpayment.
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
      Wow.
      Tell me there's a way to flag this account for that kind of abuse. I see you have some EW who thinks utiltites aren't allowed to cut off for nonpayment.
      There is! Simply shut off their utilities. They'll have to pay. Whether they come in kicking and screaming makes no difference since they'll be there to pay.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
        Wow.
        Didn't someone here mention that in some states, utilities couldn't be shut off over a certain period?
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth lvceline View Post
          She starts threatening us saying she could take us to small claims court over this "harrassment."
          And at that point it's your legal department's problem. At least I hope your company has that policy.
          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

If she would just pay her bills she wouldn't have this problem. Just sayin.

Comment

Just wait and see how mad she is going to be when the debt is sent to collections. She will wish it was just one letter and one call.

Comment

Jeez, one letter and one phone call? Big whoop. She should try living in NY State. They can shut off your power in the winter if they want to....they only make exceptions if you have kids under a certain age, or elderly people over a certain age, living with you.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

actually in some states, like Mass, they CANNOT shut utilities off between I believe mid oct and mid march (somewhere in there - basically during winter), but they do a rash of shutoffs in spring. and get a rash of catchup payments with irs refunds.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                    actually in some states, like Mass, they CANNOT shut utilities off between I believe mid oct and mid march (somewhere in there - basically during winter), but they do a rash of shutoffs in spring. and get a rash of catchup payments with irs refunds.
                    that makes sense really. some places losing heat WILL be a death sentence (or cause injury). and this way ... the utility can't be sued for damages etc.

but i bet a lot of people STILL complain in the spring anyway.

Comment

I know around here they can shut off the power in winter if people don't pay. If there is a person in the house that could die if the power is cut, they have to tell the power company (and have a note from a doctor proving the need) before it's shut off to get more time to pay.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                        that makes sense really. some places losing heat WILL be a death sentence (or cause injury). and this way ... the utility can't be sued for damages etc.

but i bet a lot of people STILL complain in the spring anyway.
                        It would be pretty bad in Texas. While maybe not so bad if the heat was turned off in winter (70 degrees F is normal anyway) if air conditioning was turned off in the summer, or even spring, temperatures get up to pretty dangerous levels. I could only imagine the bitching that would follow.
                        Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                          Wow, I can just imagine how high the bill must be if they haven't paid all winter Especially if they set the heat to sauna level because they "don't have to pay".
                          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                            Didn't someone here mention that in some states, utilities couldn't be shut off over a certain period?
                            I dunno about specific states, but I think it's illegal to turn them off if there is a resident over a certain age and/or under specific conditions, especially in cases where they literally need power to survive, due to having to be hooked up to specialized machinery.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Wow. I hope she doesn't live in an area that will protect (and coddle) her for not paying her bills. I hope she gets shut off.
                              I'm sorry, but I've reached my maximum allowable exposure to stupidity limit for the day. I'll have to get back to you tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X