This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-year-old Fight Club and other stories

So your friendly neighborhood quilter has a new part time job. I work as an aide at my son's school. I help out in the lunchroom - opening food, getting drinks, plastic ware, napkins, condiments, cleaning tables and vacuuming (yes our lunchroom is carpeted). After 2 hours of lunch, I head into the 3 and 4 year old room to supervise playtime for an hour and a half.

This is a small school, about 85 kids from 3 years up to 5th grade. Most of the kids are awesome and they think I'm one of the most fun "teachers" there - since I can draw, love dinosaurs and speak japanese. Plus I sewed my own apron to carry around stuff.

Of course there are a few kids that for whatever reason act like brats. They'll talk snarky and treat me like a servant. Or they will ignore me when I come to the table asking if anyone needs ketchup then complain that they didn't get any. After a couple of weeks, most of them have learned to say "please" and "thank you" to me.

The littles in the afternoon just love me. We play and color pictures and just be silly sometimes. But the littles have so much drama! I thought High School was bad, but it's got nothing on 4 year olds.

There are 2 girls that are best friends, but one of them is a little diva and calls the other one an idiot and hits her and takes toys away from her all the time. She likes to try to boss me around. Notice I said "try"

On Friday we had 17 kids in my afternoon class and they were all hyped up. We had a fight break out over the dollhouse and had to separate kids. One boy who is very loud and disruptive started throwing legos. During rest time 2 children decided to have a kicking and screaming match in the corner of the room. I had to pick up one of them and move them across the room where she sat and pouted, giving me the stinkeye for 30 minutes. The other kid had at least 10 lbs on her, I was doing her a favor. Later on the playground she was trying to get her revenge and came running to me, bawling her eyes out. We had a group of 5 girls that spent an hour and a half insulting each other and saying they didn't want to be friends anymore. One little girl was left in tears and stuck to me like glue until her dad came to pick her up.

At lunch sometimes my son tries to act up, thinking he can get away with it. He doesn't.

I am still doing a ton of sewing, and actually my January this year was busier then December was!

I had a lady commission a quilt from me and she just sent me a bunch of fabric website links. I had the fun of trying to explain to her that silk, polyester, cotton, flannel, fleece and minky may all look awesome - but they don't all play nice together in a single quilt. I had to go back and forth with her a bit, refining down her choices. She still wanted the minky on the back - which was a nightmare for my machine. But I got it done and she loved it.

2 weeks ago, I got an email from a woman asking about a king size quilt. She wanted to buy the fabric for it and asked if I had a list somewhere of all of my king size patterns with the yardage. Well most of my patterns only go up to queen. So I spent 4 hours going through every pattern I have (nearly 1,000) and pulling out all the ones with king size directions. Made a photobucket folder and sent her the link.

Do you think she's even looked at the options yet?
    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

"Do you think she's even looked at the options yet? "

Nope.

Has she called to ask if the quilt is done, yet?

I bet you get that call before you get the call where she tells you what kind of quilt she wants.
    I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

What is minky?!?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        What is minky?!?
        Ees a kind of animahl, sweengs aroun' in ze trees and eats ze bananahs. You know, a minky. </Clouseau>
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
          Ees a kind of animahl, sweengs aroun' in ze trees and eats ze bananahs. You know, a minky. </Clouseau>
          Thank God I read that BEFORE I took a sip from the glass of water in my hand and not after...
          "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Minky is like fleece in that it is insanely soft and is wider then most regular fabrics. It is thin, however and likes to curl. It is also $15-20 per yard. It sheds a ton and people right now go OHMAIGERD SOFT!! and fawn over it.

http://adorablebabygifts.com/blog/20...ky-fabric.html

Comment

OP: I really have to wonder if she plans to either try and make the quilt herself from one of the designs you've paid for, or get made on the cheap from a friend >_>
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                Minky is like fleece in that it is insanely soft and is wider then most regular fabrics. It is thin, however and likes to curl. It is also $15-20 per yard. It sheds a ton and people right now go OHMAIGERD SOFT!! and fawn over it.

http://adorablebabygifts.com/blog/20...ky-fabric.html
                o hell if i wanted something that's soft and sheds a ton... i'd just get my reindeer pelt out of the storage unit.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  o hell if i wanted something that's soft and sheds a ton... i'd just get my reindeer pelt out of the storage unit.
                  Oh dear. That reminds me of the time someone gave my mother a deer hide. I don't think it had been treated properly or something because it lost hair like crazy. We never kept it in the house because of a) the shedding and b) the fact that the cat would try to kill and/or hump it while simultaneously drooling all over it.

Comment

EricKei: It really wouldn't surprise me at this point, however she still might have problems finding the actual patterns, since I just put up a photo of the overall quilt and then how much fabric she'll need.

I guess it's sad that I expect people to try to screw me over on a daily basis.

Comment

Working...
                    X