This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing Tidbits, Featuring Compulsive Liars, Repeat Offenders, and Vitamin C

I Won't Even Award Points for Effort Here!

Phone rings, it's the Campus Police. Except they don't have a car for us to tow, as they usually do in these situations. Seems there's a guy at their front desk right now who is claiming that his car got towed off campus by the police last week and that we apparently told him to go to the police for a refund because it was "a mistake" on our part.

Wait, what?

Yep, there's a guy at the desk of the police station who's demanding a refund for having his car towed, and says we told him if he went to the police, they'd refund him because his towing was a mistake.

We're a little dumbfounded here, as we'd NEVER ever say such a thing. We don't encourage people to go after whoever had them towed, we specifically tell them that if they dispute charges, their only recourse is to talk to our towing manager and if they don't like his answer, the next stop will be civil court.

We don't fob them off on other people, it's not polite, not professional, and at worse may cause violence upon an innocent. And we ESPECIALLY don't do it when the person who got you towed was the cops, who, in turn, don't "accidentally" tow you, you have to have 4 tickets for illegal parking in their system OR park in/on a fire lane/sidewalk/the grass to be given the ol' heave-ho from University property.

The office lady on the police end agrees it sounded pretty fishy to her too, but she just wanted to hear it from us before telling the guy off, on diplomatic terms of course, since he never PAID the police anything (cost of the tow, even if the police request it, is always owed to us) they certainly couldn't refund him anything in return even if they agreed with him.

We hung up the phone, wondering how on earth this guy could have THOUGHT we EVER would say something like that.

Then the phone rang again... I picked it up....

"Hi, I, uh got my car towed by you guys last week, and it was a mistake, and I just talked to the campus police, and they said you'd refund me for that"

Oh

NO

YOU DIDN'T!!!!

I handed him off directly to the towing manager (TM), who was pissed and straight up told the guy that we had JUST talked to the police, that nothing of the sort was said, that he was a liar and a "Shyster" (one of TM's favorite put-downs) and that we never promised anyone anything as far as refunds to anyone, so have a nice day.

*clickslam*

Now I know where the "confusion" came from, this guy's version of the truth is extremely confused with the actual truth, it would seem.

Why'd he even TRY? Guess it just seemed like such a BRILLIANT idea on paper, after the fifth beer or so, why it just HAD to work!

Argabarga's Greatest Hits, Encore Edition

This happened a week ago, but it wasn't until I was filing the resulting paperwork after it had sluiced trough the system this week that I noticed something odd.

Last Friday night, I towed in 5 cars for illegal parking. And, in all cases, it was the SECOND time that particular car had been towed by either me or another driver for the SAME violation, and two of them were towed from the SAME LOT they had been in the last time as well.

Oh well, slow learners just mean more chances for hilarity!

Gets even better when they try to argue "nobody told them" they couldn't park there, you mean the last time you got towed from the SAME SPOT wasn't Exhibit "A"? That moment of dawning comprehension when they realize you remember them is most satisfying indeed. But not as satisfying as those pizzas with the cheese already baked into the crust, how DO they do that?!

If Found, Return to C. Johnson, 101 Aperture Drive

So, while out roamin' the asphalt jungle the other night, I hear something go *SPLAT* on the pavement right outside my window. It's close enough, that I can see where it landed, but not WHAT it is. So I shined my flashlight on the mystery object and, lo and behold...

It was a lemon.

And I know it was quite on purpose because I quickly heard a window slam in the apartment above me... not some freak meteorological event.

I'll have to update my "Things Hurled at Me" list now. "Citrus Fruit" is a first, but it's going to take a lot of em' to dethrone the champs on that list, "Beer Bottle" "Bodily Fluid" and "Insult".
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Quoth Argabarga View Post
    I Won't Even Award Points for Effort Here!

Oh

NO

YOU DIDN'T!!!!
    Suckas tried to play me, but you never paid me, never... OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

On the plus side, at least it wasn't combustible.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

*snip*
      "Hi, I, uh got my car towed by you guys last week, and it was a mistake, and I just talked to the campus police, and they said you'd refund me for that"

*snip*
      Shocked, he is, shocked and appalled that you would actually TALK TO THE POLICE.

Comment

Or made of toxic moon-rock gel. Yes, I spotted the reference.

Comment

I'll have to update my "Things Hurled at Me" list now. "Citrus Fruit" is a first, but it's going to take a lot of em' to dethrone the champs on that list, "Beer Bottle" "Bodily Fluid" and "Insult".
          I dont know man... I would think citric acid would burn pretty good if it got into your eyes or an open paper cut from a counterfeit permit.
          Last edited by Dave1982; 02-13-2013, 03:18 PM. Reason: Removed extra format tags

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
            Shocked, he is, shocked and appalled that you would actually TALK TO THE POLICE.
            That was the impression I got.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
              Or a potato clock.

Comment

But not as satisfying as those pizzas with the cheese already baked into the crust, how DO they do that?!
                Why, magic, of course ^_^ *waves a wand* Bella Notte!

All I can say is, keep posting those stories -- they're all triumphs!
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

You're truck didn't burn down, so there's that, at least.

Comment

Working...
                  X