Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > General Work Chat

Old 10-18-2020, 11:57 PM
Chairman of the Board

Apparently one of my coworkers got one of those customers who started to lecture her about how wearing masks is violating your rights ...

I think CW tried to get out of it politely. Kudos to her for that.

Old 10-19-2020, 04:38 AM
Highly Trained Professional

I had a boomer say he thought we were refusing service to people without masks. I gave my usual response of "We're not turning people away." Which is true, we don't have the staff to stop people coming in without a mask. He and his wife kept giving me and the unmasked couple behind them the stink eye. Hey, nothing I can do. We can't even stop people stealing so how can we stop people who don't wear masks?

Old 10-20-2020, 12:54 AM
Philosophical Tomato

Yup. I need to be even more careful now (mom's considered high-risk), so I need to talk to my manager about refusing to help people with no/incorrect masks when there's not a barrier....distancing is literally impossible when helping someone at SCO. Since it's technically the law that masks must be worn in public places, a store has the right to deny service...but as it's all about not offending the customer they don't do anything (and the union hasn't stepped in why?). I think the problem lies in the wording "masks must be worn to enter" and SCs know that nobody will say boo inside the store so some of them mask up to come in and then either have their nose hanging out or the mask is around their chin.

I was working with a compromised CW earlier today, she leaned down to say hello to a kid in a stroller (kid didn't have a mask) and the kid actually spit at her CW felt it more effective to complain to me rather than getting a manager.

*wonders if I should just start carrying a water gun loaded with disinfectant spray*

Old 10-21-2020, 12:01 AM
Content Slut

Quote:
Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
have their nose hanging out
In some ways this actually irritates me more than no mask. You have failed at the basic operation of one of the most simplistic devices in modern civilization. You don't need to quarantine but you should still go home and spend some time thinking about what you've done.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:40 AM
Chairman of the Board

On a lighter note ...

I had a woman come through my line the other day wearing a black face mask with a small graphic in one corner. I squinted at it. Hmmm ... a shield shape that appeared to be divided into quadrants ...

Me: "Hey, you've got a Harry Potter mask!"

Turns out it was actually the logo of a local high-end country club ...

Oops.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:01 PM
Heavy Metal Admin

Quote:
Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
In some ways this actually irritates me more than no mask.
You and me both. If I see someone without a mask, then just maybe they have a valid reason. But why go through the trouble of wearing one and then just defeat the purpose of it? It especially annoys me when I see employees doing it. You'd think they'd know better, or at least that their manager would tell them to wear it correctly. One time I stopped off at Sheetz for a snack, and I saw a cop wearing his mask like that.

I've even see a few people that basically just use the thing as a chin strap. How's that supposed to help?
Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Old 10-21-2020, 05:21 PM
The Hero CS Deserves

There's been a kerfluffle up my way recently about some fancy boutique dress store (as in $1,000+ garments) that has been repeatedly ignoring the mask regs for both customers and for workers. The cops have been by more than once with warnings, which were ignored. It got to the point where the Chief of Police actually stopped by along with a cop to issue the citations.

Among the "brilliant" arguments in defense of the store has been, in essence, that counties/cities "cannot make laws, only regulations," which are somehow (by their logic) therefore completely unenforceable. Our state has dropped its general mask mandate -- tho it recently re-implemented it for a number of counties -- but our city and county still have their mandates in place, as we've been a consistent hotspot for the state. I can't imagine why

Quote:
Quoth MadMike View Post
I've even see a few people that basically just use the thing as a chin strap. How's that supposed to help?
I just figured they're doing it so they can say (whine), "Hey! I'm wEaRiNg My MaSk!"
“Last night, you were unhinged. You were like some desperate, howling demon. You frightened me. Do it again.” - Morticia Addams

"Sexual intellectuals. They're f@%#ing know-it-alls" - Chuck Yeager
"Good men don't need rules; today is not the day to find out why I have so many." - The Doctor
"[Friendship,] like philosophy, like art, like the universe itself … has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.” ~ C. S. Lewis

Old 10-21-2020, 05:52 PM
Asura Mesmer

I had a customer sit down at my desk and start taking his mask off. At least he didn't gripe when I said, "please keep your mask on." But really, what makes people do things like that?

Old 10-21-2020, 05:55 PM
Highly Trained Professional

I have a coworker like that. She claims she has medical reasons to not wear a mask but couldn't get a doctor's excuse to get out of it. But she also makes it political so that throws out any medical reason she may or may not have. Yesterday she claimed her "allergies" were bothering her and kept pulling her mask down.

Of course we have customers come in not wearing masks. Then they apologize for not having it. I just kinda go "Hmm mm" because I don't want to acknowledge that I think it's okay. If a customer says something to me about customers not wearing masks I just tell them we're not turning people away. My company requests it but doesn't expect us to enforce it. My state does have a mandate for masks for the time being but not sure if or how it's being enforced.

Personally I believe the science that masks make a difference, I wash my hands and use sanitizer as much as I can. Sometimes at work I do pull my mask down but I try to make sure nobody else is around. So far, so good.

After the longwinded explanation...yesterday "allergy" coworker has a customer apologize for forgetting her mask and coworker says quite loudly "WE DON'T MASK SHAME HERE!" I've also heard her tell customers that don't worry about masks if they come in while she's working.

As if customers aren't bad enough to deal with coworkers can be just as bad.

Last edited by Trixie; 10-21-2020 at 06:00 PM.

Old 10-23-2020, 02:12 PM
Asura Mesmer

I keep getting these industry newsletter-style emails with headlines like "Loan Workouts in a Post-COVID19 World." I want to reply "but we're still MID COVID, not POST COVID!"