This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Lord, what an effed up evening!

I think I mentioned on here back in the summer that a neighbor's house got hit by lighting and burned to the ground.

Well, several hours ago, ANOTHER one of my neighbor's houses burned!

This time, it was a dryer fire that got out of control Her house is still standing and nobody's hurt, but I don't know if the house is a loss or not. The entire roof was boiling smoke like a burning pot with a loose lid on it.

So of course, half the length of the street was clogged with pumper trucks, ambulances (one of which appeared to get briefly stuck in a ditch), and cop cars. Alll the neighbors were milling around on each other's lawns. So several of us ended up on the lawn of a couple that happened to be out of town, so we started raking their lawn.

My kid and the neighbor's four year old were jumping in the leaves, so we were like, "cool, this will keep them occupied." So we raked the lawn and piled the leaves up. Meanwhile, a pumper truck backed into their driveway. Then a freaking....no kidding, I could not make this up...MOTORCYCLE GANG came roaring up the street. Evidently, the Sons of Anarchy were friends of the family of the house that burned. So they also pulled in behind the pumper to get the bikes out of way.

Meanwhile, the giant turkeys that are on timers lit up and starting inflating all up the street. Some of my neighbors are in an arms race to have the most inflatables. It's unreal out here come Christmas.

Someone starting taking pictures of the pumper truck and the motorcycle gang in the driveway. We thought the ladies that owned the house would see this mess and go and we'd get a jolly out of it. They'll also come home to a mysteriously raked yard.

I dont' want to make light of the seriousness of the situation, but I thought the juxtaposition of all the seemingly unrelated elements were surreal and bizarre. I should have taken some pics, but I left my phone at the house when I saw smoke and heard sirens and ran down the street. The husband showed up with the kid in tow, after. And I didn't want to walk all the way back to the house.

I guess I'll find out the extent of the damage tomorrow. It does not seem as bad as the other house fire, so there's that. Send good thoughts, please.

It's like a weird dream.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I know, it was just so weird. I walked over to the husband and was like "is this not the most surreal scene you've been in?"

Just so many weird, incongruous elements all piled together in one place. I mean, I'm certainly not glad my neighbor's house got damaged, but in spite of all that, the chaos and madness going on around me was really just interesting.

Comment

Working...
      X