Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As for knowing which car is yours... a smart person could tell by which one is in the lot every day for hours at a time, or watch when you go in. But then, a smart person doesn't start a fight in front of witnesses over the price of a couch, either

Since you're working at a different store anyway, don't worry about it too much.
    Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

"I thought it was against the laws of physics . . .

but that both sucks and blows." Bart Simpson.

That is horrible. Another reason I'm glad to no longer have to deal with the public as part of my job.

There are a lot of valid points that have been posted here. One thing about pressing charges, if you testify, it's very likely your personal information will become public. Now, it probably is public, at least somewhere, but appearing in court makes a difference. Ask the district attorney about this.

He's angry with you anyway, and pressing charges probably won't make that any worse (and he'd probably end up in prison longer), but this is the one thing you need to consider.

In the U.S., he didn't even have to push you to commit assault. A physical threat of any kind is assault. If he had shaken his fist in your face, or made a move that looked like he was going for a weapon, assault has been committed. Even if he had only leaned into your space and made a verbal threat, that is often good enough to meet the requirement for assault to have taken place. That's the difference between assault and battery, battery is when it actually gets physical.

Once he pushed you, and continued to act in a threatening manner, you had every right to stop him. That's the main qualifier here. You did what you did to stop the assault. You chased him, but only to obtain information for the police and to scare him away. You didn't make threats. He caused you to bleed, which is very good for you legally.

He didn't leave after striking you, and probably would have continued to physically hurt you as his history shows he likes to hurt people that appear weak. I wish I could have seen his face when he found out the hard way that appearances are deceiving.

But, I'm glad you weren't injured more seriously. I think the odds are very high that he would have beaten you while you were down.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

The definition of assault varries from state to state so be careful.
        Kus you really need to press charges, he already demonstrated his lack of regard for others it could be the next person he assaults, he kills, I wouldn't want that hanging over my head. He and his friends are already mad at you and whatever comes is going to come. At work see if there is some sort of remote panic button for the alarm system that calls the law, if not that IMO is a hostile work environment.

A few years ago I had a customer come to my home in the middle of the night, by rights I could have shot and killed him and it would have been in defence of myself and my family. Some how screwing a shotgun into the back of head brought clarity to his addled mind.

I guess one benefit to living in the south is that we have a defense in court of "He needed killin." BTW next time don't go for the nose, punch him in the adam's apple. He'll still be there when the cops arrive.

Oh one more then get a tetnaus (sp) shot I'm sure you got some scratches on you fist and a human mouth is a nasty place.
        Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Please please please press charges. Guys like that need thrown with everything they have coming to them.

Comment

Honestly he hit you first. That should qualify you to fight back. For all you know he could've wanted to hurt you some more. I say, good for you. I'm glad you knew how to take care of yourself. I hope this guy pays. He needs to go to jail and get butt raped by Bubba.

Comment

The golden rule states "Do on to others as you's have them do on to you."
              Well he did on to you and you did the same to him so that works.

Martial Arts Training states "Never use your skills to start an attack, only in defense". Well that works too. He bashed your head into hard objects when he shoved you hard and you hit him once with enough force to end the fight without killing him.

Wiccan Rede "An it harm none, do as thou wilt". At first seems strict, but nowhere does it forbid self-defense or the defense of family/friends/country(*), it just means that you must be willing to accept the consequences of your actions for better or worse. Since you struck back, the likely consequences of your action are going to be the inconvienence of having to spend time with the police, court appearences and other legal stuff.

However since you have witnesses (do you also have security cameras?) and he struck first and you administered one and only punch, the ball is likely to rest favorably in your court.

Hate to see anyone having to do that, but I'm glad you're still with us.

Mongo

(*) which is the reason that Wiccans and other pagans can serve in the armed forces. They even have a section in the Chaplain's manual...albeit two pages stating that the chaplain should be there if they want someone to talk to, but to generaly let them do thier own thing)
              Last edited by Mongo Skruddgemire; 09-08-2006, 12:24 PM.
              I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Kusanagi View Post
                ON the plus side, I'm sure his future cellmates will thank me. Less teeth to get in the way...
                You are SICK SICK SICK!!!

I like it! I like it!

I know it is ultimatly your choice, but pressthe charges and take the option of having the officer testify for you if you feel that threatened. That way he'll get a few more chances to make his cellmates thank you.

Mongo
                I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Just jumping on the bandwagon here. I say press the A&B charges, along with sueing for medical expenses if you had to pay anything to get fixed up or checked out.

When someone else goes all icy like that around me, it scares the out of me even if I'm not the target of it (which I thankfully have never been). That guy either had nerves like a ing Spec-Forces soldier, or he was too thick to figure out how dangerous things had just gotten. I'm guessing the latter.
                  ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                  And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Press charges Kus... You'll regret it later in life if you don't. I had my arm broken at 14 by an asshole and I didn't press charges. Do I regret not pressing charges? Every day of my life.

I had two friends a few weeks back get assaulted in a hate crime. They revealed that they were gay, and the asshole punched them both in the face. They were too scared to call the cops. And so they didn't. I wish they had...

Good luck. We'll be here for you every step of the way.

Comment

Kusanagi, press charges. Guys like that do not deserve to be out in public at all. There are plenty of people who deserve to be in jail.
                      The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

bump... Any news? Just wondering what you decided to do Kus...

Comment

Let me give all you guys an update. I kind of had a gag order until myself and the DA decided what we were going to do.

I am pressing charges but not in the traditional sense. The guy was unable to make bail and has a court date set for mid October.

I met with the district attourney and the police and due to my work schedule I would not plan on attending the court date. So I gave a written statement to the district attourney (turns out he's also being sued by the state for reasons I can't mention) and an officer will be there in court in my stead.

I am not suing for any type of damages, since I know I will get none from this guy. What is actually happening is that my statement/charges are going to be combined with that of the girlfriend's and states into one big lawsuit instead of three seperate ones.

My statement will basically go a long way into proving his violent nature and it will put him away for a very long time if he is convicted. With all the different charges, and I'm not at liberty to say all of them, he's looking at 20+ years.

Talking with the police, we decided this was the best solution. I should get news on the guy in October, so I'll update you then on it.
                          "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Comment

Quoth Kusanagi View Post
                            What is actually happening is that my statement/charges are going to be combined with that of the girlfriend's and states into one big lawsuit instead of three seperate ones.

My statement will basically go a long way into proving his violent nature and it will put him away for a very long time if he is convicted. With all the different charges, and I'm not at liberty to say all of them, he's looking at 20+ years.
                            Good! Let's hope he gets the maximum. Let's see how tough he is when dealing with his cellmates.

And I am glad you are pressing charges. Get this jerk off the streets for a good long time, keep everyone a little safer.

I do hope your company covered your medical bills?
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Holy freaking cheese!

Why does this stuff happen to you? *HUGS* Glad you're pressing charges and I'm glad this dude will be going away for a long time.
                              If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

Comment

I am an individual of somewhat small stature (5'4). Now I am in shape and I have done martial arts, but needless to say there are many people out there who could probably overpower me with ease.

I'm fearful that sometime a large individual will come into my store and overwhelm me, causing who knows what damage.

Although I NEVER work alone at nights and my store isn't in a particularly "bad" part of town, I still have that fear in the back of my head.

I'm glad you were able to stand up to this guy, I'm not sure what I have done in your situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X