Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody know how to fix 100% disk usage?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody know how to fix 100% disk usage?

So I bought a Laptop from that place that sounds like "Well", a couple of years back.

It's a Windows 10 64 bit machine, with an Intel I5, and 8GB Ram.

Anyway, I've got that pesky 100% disk usage thing going on, and I can't seem to get rid of it, no matter what I try.

Anybody got any ideas? I don't want to have to re-load this laptop, because that's going to take a while.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

It could be from a variety of reasons, very few of them good. The most likely (and most benign) cause is the system creating a disk index. This site has a list of methods for disabling it in certain locations, drives, or even totally disabling it. Give that a shot.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I'd go through the Resource Monitor and check the Disk tab to see just what is going through all the HDD traffic. It's a good place to see a bit of what's going on and make better inquiries on fixing it.

This is, of course, assuming that MS hasn't gotten rid of yet another useful tool.

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
        This is, of course, assuming that MS hasn't gotten rid of yet another useful tool.
        Its still there, even made pretty easy to find in the task manager. though i would be willing to bet my milk money that the indexing or virus protection is probably to blame, my work comp has the scottish sounding antivirus and will eat my disk for lunch at startup.
        This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
        my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Heh. My wife used to work for the Mac, right around the time Intel bought them. She got free copies of their anti-virus.

The thing was so damn clunky that it frequently made my poor laptop completely unusable. Off it came, and I won't be using their stuff again on anything where I have a choice.

My current work laptop has their stuff on it, and it has actually been halfway reasonable so far. But it's a Mac (of a different kind) itself....
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Sorry, disks that are not full but show as 100% filled usual have a major file/directory problem and the OS is protecting the data by preventing you writing to the drive.

Best thing to do, buy an external drive - backup all you data to the drive - wipe your internal drive by using the restore partition and copy back what data you need.

Note: If you restore partition gives you the option to wipe the OS but keep the data you can try that but there is no way to know if your problem may return, also is some cases you will still lose data. It is always better to have a backup of your data first no matter what steps you take to restore the machine.

PS. In my case I alway replace the internal drive with a large SSD, and put the old drive in an external drive holder and copy back the needed data.

Comment

We're looking at a 100% usage, read/write, not 'no space left'. There's a number of things that will do it, so we're just getting some general diagnostics going.
              Basically, the drive will be reading/writing constantly, doing... something, forcing every other task that requires disk access (basically, all of them) to wait in line, slowing the system down horribly.

Comment

You have a virus. It's called Windows 10.

If you have a lot of tabs open in your browser, that can eat a huge amount of system memory, and with 8GB of ram that'd make it page a lot, resulting in high disk usage. Expanding your ram would help some.

Defragmenting your disk would speed up the disk access some, resulting in a bit more efficiency. I recommend Defraggler.

When you run Task Manager, there should be a way to add columns to the list of processes, and you can add a column for "I/O Read Bytes". Check under "View/Select Columns", or look around. That'll tell you what processes are using a lot of I/O. You can then Google them and figure out if you can fix it.

As mentioned above, Windows' disk indexing can use up a lot of disk access. Check into disabling it.

Comment

I have had a similar problem for the last two years. I have a 1T drive. I really started to slow down my downloads 9and most any new downloads go to my external drive)when this first presented itself back then.

I noticed that at the time my free space was at say 120G then slowly in what seemed to be 3G increments my HDD space decreased until it got down to say 10G (Yeah NOT good) and I got really paranoid. NOW I had not really d/l'ed anything significant during this period. No new programs or updates.

I started track my HDD free space every time I was on the computer. Then one night my free space went back up to 120G. Now I have my disk defrag go off every week so I do not think this was the problem. I figure that maybe Windows update was the cause maybe BUT this was happening on a daily routine. I should mention that I have Windows updates turned off since the whole Win10 "forced update" thing was a thing a couple of years ago.

In fact right now my HDD is saying 8G free and this has been the case for a week or more.

This is still happening and I have used TreeSize to scope out my sub-directories for any unusual things but NOPE nothing found that I can see.

I expect in the near future my free space will go back up to near say 80G.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                  X