This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Buzzard View Post
    And as for Win10... well, at least it's not 8 or Vista. (now where's my torch and pitchfork...)
    Quoth SteeleDragon78 View Post
    or windows ME
    I actually shuddered after reading these two posts!
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Well, it seems to be done.

I reinstalled Windows 10. I had no idea you could do that without the original installation disks, but yep, you can. I had to use my other computer to download the installation tool, which took some time. I also moved the contents of my C drive to my external hard drive.

I loaded the tool onto a flash drive, plugged it into the new computer, got into the boot menu, and ran the fucker.

It worked! I am now happily downloading programs and installing them.

Yay!

I want to thank you all for your invaluable help, and for putting up with these strings of obscenities.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
        I want to thank you all for your invaluable help, and for putting up with these strings of obscenities.
        Eh, you've never seen a tech on a site with multiple reimages to do and a questionable build to work off of. By hour 4 and getting the call that you have to reimage a system again because it went bad you start hearing stuff that makes a sailor blush.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Eh, you've never seen a tech on a site with multiple reimages to do and a questionable build to work off of. By hour 4 and getting the call that you have to reimage a system again because it went bad you start hearing stuff that makes a sailor blush.

Oh, I can believe it. And what I posted was, for me, pretty mild - but that doesn't mean everyone sees it that way.

I've come to see that one of the problems I'd been having on my old computer wasn't due to the computer at all; Firefox was the culprit. Which is irritating as all hell.

However. I've reinstalled Windows 10 (damn am I glad I had the forethought to write down the product key!). I've installed Skype. I've installed Adobe Flash Player. I can now access Facebook and YouTube in the normal way. The printer is now recognized by the computer. I now have admin rights!

Since you've all been so helpful, I want to share the advice I was given on Microsoft Community, which saved my ass:

To resolve this your best option is to backup your files and clean install Windows 10, when purchasing a used PC, it is the best and safest thing to do, to remove any previous users, settings and make that PC your own . . .

You can reinstall Windows 10 at any time and it will not cost you anything !

Since you previously had Windows 10 installed and activated on that PC during the installation process skip the steps which ask for a product key and select the option 'I am Reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC', and activation will not be an issue, your PC will have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Activation Servers

Make sure you install the same Edition of Windows 10 (Home, Pro . . . etc.) you previously had installed to avoid Activation issues

Click this link:
          https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...
          to download the Media Creation Tool (Click on Download Tool Now), with that you can download the latest Windows 10 ISO (Select Create Installation Media for Another PC), you can create a bootable USB flash drive (min 8GB) using that tool

Then, Boot your PC from the Installation Media you just created (change Boot Order in your BIOS) to begin installing Windows 10

If you have problems booting from a boot disc, you may have UEFI BIOS:
          Insert the Bootable Installation Media, then go into your BIOS and make the following changes:
          1. Disable Secure Boot
          2. Enable Legacy Boot
          3. If Available enable CSM
          4. If Required enable USB Boot
          5. Move the device with the bootable disc to the top of the boot order
          6. Save BIOS changes, restart your System and it should boot from the Installation Media

and

Generally, when you boot up your PC, on the manufacturers logo screen, repeatedly press F2 to enter BIOS

On some systems, the appropriate key may be the F10 or Del key to get into BIOS

Once in BIOS, you just need to move that flash drive to the top of the boot order, so your PC boots from it

Please Note, approx. half way through the installation, your PC will reboot, at that point, go back into BIOS and change the boot order back, so your PC boots from the hard drive . . .
          Last edited by Eireann; 07-20-2019, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X