X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this count as witnessed suckage 'cos it was mine

Actually it was mine and my daughter's.

Went to Border's today 'cos I had 2 items that were on order and they both came in at the same time. I put Kelly on her leash 'cos I thought we'd be in and out and didn't want to put her in her stroller for 2 seconds. (What was I thinking!? She's 3! Just turned 3 too, like in July 8 was her birthday).

Anways, we get to the till area which also has all these clearance books especially the ones for the children. She went right for them. I actually argued with my 3-year-old that she couldn't touch the books 'cos they were not hers, and besides, didn't I already tell her that we were only going to be going to the till to pick up Mommy's order?

Kelly has this really high-pitched, screeching yell when she chooses to use it. Which she did ... I cleaned up her messes (i.e., pulling books off the shelves). And then I had to pick her up and hold her. I tried to calm her down, but she wasn't having none of it. She pulled off my glasses, yanked on my hair until I had a headache and my hair was completely out of the neat bun I had had it in.

Then the cashier was completely flustered, took a few minutes to find the book & then the CD I had ordered (they weren't placed together on the shelf). Then when Kelly started to scream AGAIN ('cos I asked her not to touch some lip balm), the cashier sighed heavily and glared a little and I felt so bad; especially when I hurriedly pulled 2 twenties out of my pocketbook and laid them on the counter so I could keep Kelly's hands from wandering and touching more stuff.

*le sigh*

Children can be so trying sometimes.

Please dont take it personally, people without children (myself included) find it very hard to be patient. Its not YOUR child, its just, children in general.

Sometimes it can be because they dont just hear it from your child but from 60 different ones, other times they are just tired/hungover/not used to kids.

Dont feel bad, you were actually parenting your child CONGRATS for that, most SC parents would have let their kids run wild and not picked up after them. You werent a sucky customer at all, like I said before, you kid could have just been the 20th + that day.

Chin up, parenting is a wonderful thing
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Idrinkarum (love the name), I don't see customer suckyness here.
      And I do see it every day at work.

"Kelly has this really high-pitched, screeching yell when she chooses to use it."

Yep, sounds like a three year old. Had one myself about 27 years ago. Same yell.
      As much as I truly dislike small children in general, this is typical three year old. BUT: you were at the tills getting ready to leave. Now, if she started with the yell back in the stacks and you didn't take her out of the store, I'd say you were sucky. But right here, you tell us:

"Which she did ..."

And you were *aware* and attempting to quiet her and/or get out of the store.

" I cleaned up her messes (i.e., pulling books off the shelves). And then I had to pick her up and hold her. I tried to calm her down, but she wasn't having none of it. She pulled off my glasses, yanked on my hair until I had a headache "

By my lights, not you being sucky, and you still appear to me to be trying to get things under control. Not just ignoring child acting like nothing's going on.

" Then when Kelly started to scream AGAIN ('cos I asked her not to touch some lip balm), the cashier sighed heavily and glared a little"

OK, and you knew *why* she sighed, could be Kelly wasn't the first three year old in the store today, it does get a bit wearing, you obviously knew that.

" especially when I hurriedly pulled 2 twenties out of my pocketbook and laid them on the counter so I could keep Kelly's hands from wandering and touching more stuff."

Alright, I know a lot of people here absolutely detest having the money placed on the countertop. I much prefer it. Really don't want to touch customers' hands especially since we've a pharmacy in the back and many of them are ill when they come in. Also we've a few observant orthodox, there are some religious reasons why the women don't hand the money to a male (no touching males not related to you allowed basically) and it's a lifelong habit, they place (not throw, or flip, but nicely place) payment on the counter, you pick it up, you put change and receipt on counter they pick it up - maybe you had to be raised around this but it's normal to me). But in this case, you put the money down to keep your child under control. I'm just not seeing a problem here, I think most anyone would choose kid under control over money handed to them.

You indicated you had her on the leash, you were not lingering around stargazing while she was throwing this tantrum, from all I read here you get kudos from me!

LZ

Comment

Yeah, you'd only be an SC if you were wandering around oblivious. And I find kids very trying, as I generally dislike them until they hit double figures; I'm guilty of an exaggerated wince or two when a child is screeching nearby to me. However, I do understand that kids in "terrible twos or threes" are impossible to bring to silence sometimes, and you were doing all you could under difficult circumstances.
        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Whew! Thanks! I did feel really bad. You know, I love my daughter, but when I'm around other kids, I can't stand them. Weird, huh?

I'm very sensitive to how others around me react to either myself or my daughter. So I try to be an unobtrusive as possible. I'm going to have to figure out how to avoid her meltdowns. Personally, I think it might be because she's not able to speak yet (getting her evaluated by a Teacher for Child Find tomorrow and then having a more in-depth eval 2 weeks from tomorrow - I'm on pins & needles about it, but that's another post).

Thanks for letting me see that I wasn't as sucky as I felt! Made my day!

Comment

Yikes, my butt would have been red had I done anything like that as a kid. I hope she learns that what she did is not acceptable.
            "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Working...
            X